Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ to a JK build thread

11K views 164 replies 15 participants last post by  93jeepREDSOX 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I have been on the forum for a while, mainly on the YJ forums since that's what I have owned for the last 10 years, but about 2 years ago I wrecked it. Bought it back and got a pos Cherokee to ride around in till I could fix the YJ up and running.

Anyway long story short I ended up selling the Cherokee and buying a new to me 2011 2dr sport. Completely stock and ready for me to tear into

Attachments

See less See more
#60 ·
I would love to have a stronger axle, cause I do plan to get 37's when my 33's are done, maybe sooner. But I keep thinking that I could make the dana 30 work, even if I just gear it and maybe sleeve it now, I could always add the stronger shafts later down the road when needed. Though I have seen the difference in size of the ring and pinion between the 30 and 44, it is depressing, haha

#62 ·
I can afford ato add sleeves right now, truss and shafts would have to wait unfortunately.

#64 ·
Your right the truss is only about 40 bucks more but wasn't sure about labor. Maybe ill get a quote on that.

#66 ·
I got my quote for the regear, lockers and labor, little under 4k, East coast gear supply is gonna do it. They are only like 30 mins from my house and I have heard nothing but good things about them. Yea, would like to learn how to weld, just hasn't happened

#67 ·
In the end it is your jeep and your decision but the more research about getting reliable on 37s that I do. It almost seems a waste to even do a 44. That fusion4x4 can get you a fully loaded front 60 for a little over $4000. Save up and have ecgs do a rear gear to match and you've got a setup that you don't have to worry about ball joints and steering components needing replaced yearly. I'm sure they can set up a good 44 for a little less and then you're not going to have to play with that 30, you could sell it for ~300 and recover a little cost

Check this page out, it won't auto link on my iPhone. Gears, air locker, Reid high steer, etc for $4500. Leave out the air locker and high steer I bet you're down around $3000. There's $1000 for rear gear and you're set.

http://www.fusion4x4.com/#!product-page/ke0e7/ee9698b6-4bb4-467a-f3f4-fdb1d9a6cc17

#68 ·
I have been looking into the fusion front 60. I definitely wont be able to swing that right now. So regear and lockers for now and deal with the 30 for now. It should be fine on the 33's for a while and I can see how it holds up to 37's when I get there. Address it then.

Also super excited cause my front bumper arrived today. Had it shipped to my work cause I didn't want it left outside all day.

#69 ·
Brown Furniture Wood Flooring Building

Gonna be a busy weekend

#70 ·
Bumper, winch, mbrp. Looks like it will be busy! I've been tossing around a low profile "rock crawler" exhaust but unless it's a straight 6 or v8 I don't care for the sound very often. I'll be coming down through NC tomorrow.

#72 ·
Yea, I wanted a little louder exhaust, the jk is so quiet, and it does move it out of the way. Where in NC you coming through?

#71 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Sky

Well got the bumper and winch installed, LOD, great product, packed well, very quick delivery, had to go to there website for instructions, but pretty quick install.

Now I'm taking a lunch break and then I'll relocate the evap canister and hopefully get the exhaust on.

#73 ·
Well I got a lot done today. Bumper and winch mounted and evap canister moved. I tried to start on the exhaust but I can already tell my stock exhaust is gonna fight me. Hopefully lots of pb blaster and some patience I can get it off. Also tomorrow gonna put on brake line extension brackets front and rear and maybe wire in my new turn signals

#74 ·
So got a fresh start on the exhaust this morning, ended up just cutting out the old

Tire Plant Automotive tire Road surface Wheel

Sounds good, happy with the results. Pretty successful weekend

#75 ·
So I think I have made up my mind on gears and lockers. I am just going to do gears in the front and gears and a locker in the rear. Eventually I will do something with the front axle, replace it with a stronger axle but until then I think I will be fine with just a locker in the rear.

#77 ·
Back roads are nice if your not in a hurry, of course sometimes 95 isn't great if your in a hurry, haha

#78 ·
Summer came early in NC, doors may be retired till fall

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

#80 ·
Next mod on the list is to monstaline the tub, hopefully in a month or so. Protect it from all the summer storms, haha

#82 ·
I thought the kit came with a couple rollers?

Yea I have read a lot about it and seen tons of pics. I'm trying to decide on a few colors, smurfadelic, apocalypse, and predator.

#84 ·
That they do, I went safe and did black on the inside of my old YJ, I think this time I am gonna do a bright color, just gotta figure out which one. I'll look into picking up a few extra lint free rollers. Also did you have trouble getting your drivers side front seat out? I cant get to one of the back bolts, cant even get a wrench or socket on it at all.

#86 ·
I cannot move my seat up enough to get to that last bolt, gonna have to figure that out.

#88 ·
The 4 main bolts, I want to take the whole seat out, cause I am going to monstaline it soon. I can get to the passenger bolts because it rocks forward, the drivers seat will not, not sure if something isn't connected or something.

#89 ·
So April is going to bring some pretty significant purchases for the jeep, things on my list

Gears
Monstaliner
ACE rear fender delete kit
Spod with custom switches
MC inner fenders
Light Bar
Windshield lights
35's
New Gun(not really jeep related but who cares, haha)

So not sure if all of this is going to happen but hopefully most of it will. Updates will follow

#90 ·
Inner fenders ordered, drop the jeep off Friday for gears and rear locker. Will probably be getting the 35's mounted this week or next week. Monstaliner will be ordered next week and gonna see where the finances are before I look into the spod and lights.

#91 ·
So jeep has been dropped off at ECGS, looking forward to this afternoon picking it up and the drive home. By Tuesday it should be sitting on 35's as well. This weekend should be able to get the ACE fender delete kit on for the rear fenders. Also non jeep related ordered my new Tavor so should be able to pick that up this weekend. Still on the fence about the spod, I am leaning more and more towards getting it and custom switches, just a matter of getting the courage to spend the money on it.

#94 ·
Yea I'm looking forward to shooting it.

I'm not actually a member anywhere, just go shooting on friends land.

#93 ·
So gears are done and boy do the shift patterns take some getting used to.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Fixture Auto part

Also new OX.

So at about 70mph I'm at 3k rpms and first gear isnt really needed anymore but it is peppy again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.