Yet Another Soft Top Side Window Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Yet Another Soft Top Side Window Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-27-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
caliwankers

Yet Another Soft Top Side Window Problem

So far everything has been great with the Vehicle and this is probably the first problem that I am reporting, but I could use some advice. I will try to describe this clearly to paint an easy picture of what is happening.

The side windows do not line up properly where they meet the rear doors vertically. There is a hard angle piece that is supposed to wrap around the font portion of the window and it appears that it is to be held in by the force of the closed rear doors. I can't seem to get this to work properly. On one side, the angle piece is too short and doesn't get secured when the door is closed. On the other side, there is too much material and the angle piece is too loose by the door.

What is happening is that at highway speed, both sides have become loose and are flapping loudly. The velcro that keeps the windows neat and tidy is coming loose and is also flapping wildly.

The position of the windows seem to be controlled by the shape of the soft top, as well as by how deep the zipper thingy is pushed into the zipper itself. I am only out by 1/4" tops but I can't seem to correct this issue.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, what did you do about it? I am worried that I am going to tear something because of the force of the flapping.

Thanks for your help,

Cali

18" Wheels
Dual Top Group
6 Speed
caliwankers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
BEAR40

I would double check the alignment. I don't want to sound like a dick but are you sure you have the windows tucked in properly? They are a little different then the YJ and TJ's of old. I did not realise at first that it is not just the plastic lip that hooks around but the 1/2" where the fabric is covering as well.

Hope this is helpful.

I assume you are probably far away but If you are ever in the East side of Lake Simcoe area I would have a look?

BEAR
BEAR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
caliwankers

Thanks for the help Bear. My wife just popped into my work to have me look at it, and your advice about the extra 1/2" of fabric having to be hooked around as well was all the help that I needed. It fit perfectly. I feel like a nob for not seeing it this way in the first place.

Thanks for your help. This forum is awesome.

Cali
18" Wheels
Dual Top Group
6 Speed
caliwankers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
josh182j

ok it took me a little bit to figure this one out myself. That hard piece that you say looks like it's held in by the pressure of the rear door actually folds more then you think. You tuck that into the channel that is provided by the frame that goes around the back door. After you do that you zipper the window all the way tuck the bottom plastic into the tubs channel and tuck the top of the windows under the valcro part. Hope this helps.
josh182j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar problem the first time I put them back so you aren't alone. Just need to take that little bit extra care and it works fine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.