Yet another Jeep newb thread... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Yet another Jeep newb thread...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
JebusCrisco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yet another Jeep newb thread...

I've done a lot of reading here so I haven't posted this without at least trying to answer my own questions first - please don't beat me. Also, feel free to skip to the end for the TL;DR version.

I just bought a new Jeep 2013 Sport 2 door. I've wanted a Jeep for 10 years and finally actually got one. Loving it but learning a few things the hard way. Mostly regarding the transfer case. Yes, lots of threads here on that!

Number One - The dealership gave me incorrect instructions (multiple times) on how to properly transfer between 2H, 4H, and 4L. Just put it in neutral before shifting to any of those positions is what I was told. I did this nearly a couple dozen times thinking it was just stiff because it was new before taking a more careful look at the manual and learning the proper way to do it on my own.

Number Two - I uh... again didn't read carefully regarding the operation of the vehicle in 4H. I drove it recently on slick pavement (wet, not snow, shame on me) and felt the drive train bind only when parking the park in a garaged area. Researching this I realize the mistake and have no intention of repeating it.

--- TL;DR ---

I did dumb things regarding the transfer case until I learned better on a fairly short-term basis and am experiencing no ill effects. Should I worry and is this something the dealership checks. I got the maintenance.

Sincerely,
Newbie Worrywart

JebusCrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
chiefkp
2013 JK Wrangler 

tranfer from 2H to 4hi can be done at speeds less than 50MPH no need for neutral. 4 hi to 4 lo less than 2 mph and in neutral. owners manual covers this.

No worrys
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just as chiefkp said. And you'll be fine, no worries. I had to do a few, "grind 'em till you find 'em" before I discovered the perfect speed to be rolling at to engage 4L.
Just a tip: If you are off-roading and "think" you may need 4L in the future, best to go ahead and engage it while you can, before you are stuck and cannot get the momentum to engage it.

Welcome to JeepForum and Jeep in general!
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
JebusCrisco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, guys! Glad to be here.
JebusCrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum.

I wouldnít worry about it just donít do it again which of course youíre not. Like said you can shift on the fly with speeds up to 55mph but Iím sure the norm is probably a whole lot less, I know it is with me; stopped to say around 25-30 mph.

I usually drive in 2wd on the trail until 4wd is needed and the back again (2wd) when not, all in one fluid motion while driving. 4L is used only when needed (my style) and I always come to a complete stop and of course put it in neutral before shifting into or out of 4L.

Itís all an learning experience and thatís part of the fun when itís your first 4x4. I know it was for me with my first ever 4x4, an Ď86 CJ-7 many years ago.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't feel bad. Once upon a time, I didn't know I had to put it neutral to go into 4L. I thought it was jammed. We live and learn.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I always put my JKUR in 4hi as soon as leaving pavement--I never have to worry about shifting onto 4wd, ina hurry

There's a technique for shifting xfer case in to 4lo (easy), but thats for an auto and you don't say thats what you have

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.