Yes, a lift question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Yes, a lift question.

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 02-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
GraysonJeep

Yes, a lift question.

I have been searching through all of the forums I can find and I feel I am overloaded a bit trying to figure out the best course here.

What I have: 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, 6 m/t

This vehicle is technically a daily driver, but only gets driven a few times a week. It will go off road a handful of times per year here locally at Windrock, but never any major crawling.

I have been given a new in the box 2.5" Skyjacker lift at no change (springs and shocks) (won it in some raffle).

I have seen some bad reviews and some good ones on the Skyjacker systems.

My question is:

Is this system a decent system for our use or am I better off trying to sell it and use that money towards for something like a Teraflex or similar kit?

Right now we have tires a little bigger than stock on cragar soft 8 wheels (close to but not quite a 33") and will likely move up in size at some point this spring if/when the lift is done.

Thoughts on the lift question??

Edit:

Here is what the kit I have includes:

Skyjacker kit #JK25BPH
  • Front Coil Springs (pair)
  • Rear Coil Springs (pair)
  • Rear Track Bar Bracket & Brace
  • Front Bump Stop Spacers
  • Rear Bump Stop Brackets
  • 2 Front Hydro Shocks
  • 2 Rear Hydro Shocks
  • front steereing stabilizer - OEM type kit using Skyjacker 7000 hyrdo

GraysonJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

Skyjacker, affectionately known as Skycrapper, isn’t that great of a lift. Usually reserved for guys who wear flatbill ball caps and drive F250’s with 12” of lift.

However, the kit you were given, if it is just springs and shocks, I would use the springs and ditch the shocks and buy better ones. What all came with the kit? If it is just 4 springs and 4 shocks then, you should probably get brake line extender brackets as well as front sway bar disconnects. Possibly a front adjustable track bar too.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
GraysonJeep

Sorry that I was not clear on what it came with:
  • 2 Front Hydro Shocks
  • 2 Rear Hydro Shocks
  • front steereing stabilizer - OEM type kit
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have no experience with this lift so I will not comment to the quality of the lift, I will say that I would never install a lift on my Jeep that I won simply because I won the lift. This lift may become more trouble than its worth.
I think with lifts you would want to stick with some of the better known brands with better names in the JK community.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
GraysonJeep

There seem to be several brands of the adjustable front track bar (like most Jeep items)...any brand suggestions?

Also, on the brake line extenders... would it be better to simply go with a longer set of steel braided brake lines or are they just not need for this little of a lift?
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
ferninaz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysonJeep View Post
There seem to be several brands of the adjustable front track bar (like most Jeep items)...any brand suggestions?

Also, on the brake line extenders... would it be better to simply go with a longer set of steel braided brake lines or are they just not need for this little of a lift?
I am very happy with the MetalCloak trackbar I have on the front of my JK. You may not even need one, depending on how far over your axle gets shifted the stock one may work just fine. Generally the rear just needs a bracket.
I do not know what your budget is, but when you consider everything, you have to decide if the cost of the "upgrades" are worth it.

Moving the brake lines with proper bracketry seems to work fine for most of us. Upgraded brake lines will improve brake feel so again, do you think the upgrade is worth the cost.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
GraysonJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferninaz View Post
I am very happy with the MetalCloak trackbar I have on the front of my JK. You may not even need one, depending on how far over your axle gets shifted the stock one may work just fine. Generally the rear just needs a bracket.
I do not know what your budget is, but when you consider everything, you have to decide if the cost of the "upgrades" are worth it.
Budget is not the issue really. Definitely be within reason, but I don't want to spend a ton on the Jeep as it still needs to be able to make road trips (my WRX definitley is not a good road trip car). I'd like to have a lift for the few times it will see any types of trails each year with the option for more upgrades as time goes on.

I'd rather do no lift for now if the Skyjacker I have is simply that bad and/or not going to hold up to any type of trails.
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
GraysonJeep

What is so bad on the skyjacker systems....their shocks? The metal they make the coil springs with? If their shocks are terrible, but springs are ok and I use the rest of the kit (plus the brake line brackets and adjustable front track bar) and get better shocks, would that be the weak link fixed?
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What is so bad on the skyjacker systems....their shocks? The metal they make the coil springs with? If their shocks are terrible, but springs are ok and I use the rest of the kit (plus the brake line brackets and adjustable front track bar) and get better shocks, would that be the weak link fixed?
Their shocks are pretty good, the nitro ones at least. I haven't hear too much about the springs sagging, but that may be an issue down the line. Other than that, you don't have to worry about control arm bushings, geometry or other wear items being bar quality. I don't know what could go wrong. If want to sell it and buy a "better" lift with more components, then go for it. If you're happy with a spring and shock lift, I don't see why you wouldn't install this one. That's just my $0.02!

-Ryan
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

personally i have there mono shocks at the moment and i have no complaints. they are a little on the softer side. At the time of my build they were on of the few with the collapsed i needed and long travel. I will be selling them soon though. Never rode the rest of the kit, but if i were to guess the springs will sag over time and that its missing a few components that you "should" have.
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry that I was not clear on what it came with:
  • 2 Front Hydro Shocks
  • 2 Rear Hydro Shocks
  • front steereing stabilizer - OEM type kit

Use it and build off of it.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Vertical4
Vertical4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have been searching through all of the forums I can find and I feel I am overloaded a bit trying to figure out the best course here.

What I have: 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, 6 m/t

This vehicle is technically a daily driver, but only gets driven a few times a week. It will go off road a handful of times per year here locally at Windrock, but never any major crawling.

I have been given a new in the box 2.5" Skyjacker lift at no change (springs and shocks) (won it in some raffle).

I have seen some bad reviews and some good ones on the Skyjacker systems.

My question is:

Is this system a decent system for our use or am I better off trying to sell it and use that money towards for something like a Teraflex or similar kit?

Right now we have tires a little bigger than stock on cragar soft 8 wheels (close to but not quite a 33") and will likely move up in size at some point this spring if/when the lift is done.

Thoughts on the lift question??

Edit:

Here is what the kit I have includes:

Skyjacker kit #JK25BPH
  • 2 Front Hydro Shocks
  • 2 Rear Hydro Shocks
  • front steereing stabilizer - OEM type kit using Skyjacker 7000 hyrdo

To answer your question quickly, I would recommend selling it and putting the money towards a better lift.

To answer it in more depth, I can speak from personal experience with this lift as I had it on my personal daily driver. This lift will do the job and give you the few inches you are looking for, however, over time you will want to change it out with bigger and better quality parts. The springs on this lift may sag over time if you put things such as bumpers, winches, and other heavy parts on the jeep. This is why I would recommend doing it right the first time and spending the extra money now so you don't have to spend more down the road.

I used this lift on my DD for 2 years and it held up to some minor abuse with 33" tires. After deciding I wanted a bigger tire size, I realized I needed a new lift as well. I quickly ditched the skyjacker or "skycrapper" as some call it and moved on to Rock Krawler. I would highly recommend you selling this lift for what its worth and putting it towards a Rock Krawler package or maybe a Teraflex. Both of these companies are top of the line when it comes to good quality suspension parts. These companies both provide lifts that will handle comfortably on road while performing great off road at the same time.

Below I have attached a link to the Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Mid arm lift. This is one of the best starter lift kits on the market. It comes with great detailed instructions for install and essentially everything you need to get your JK lifted and riding great! Although this is a more expensive option, you are certainly getting your moneys worth.

http://www.vertical4.com/rock-krawle...imited-jk.html

Another great lift that is not as costly and also not as high of a lift is the 3" Teraflex lift with shocks. This lift will provide the height necessary for bigger tires such as 35"s and will also give you a great ride quality on and offroad.

http://www.vertical4.com/teraflex-3-...imited-jk.html

I have personally installed and driven with both of these lifts and they are both great. They both will allow you the option to upgrade to a larger tire size if you desire while also allowing you the option to upgrade your lift components if you want to start building a more advanced suspension system. If these lifts are both out of budget and you are still looking to find an alternative to the skyjacker lift, PM me and I will certainly recommend some other options. Hope this helps!

www.vertical4.com
Vertical4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
GraysonJeep

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Teraflex is ordered and should be here in a day or two!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.