Yellow (or white I guess) with black hood? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Yellow (or white I guess) with black hood?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yellow (or white I guess) with black hood?

You know, white cop cars and yellow school busses often have a black hood, presumably to keep whomever has to look at the hood all day from getting a headache, cut down on glare, or whatever.

a). Is this why they do this?

b). Do you guys with the yellow (or white I guess) Jeeps feel like this is an issue for you? Cosmetics aside, do you think this would really help?

I'm just curious about the whole black hood thing. (:

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
ez__rider

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing...
You're in Texas? could be different down there of course, however I'd be a bit surprised because that black hood is absorbing extra heat from the sun, and that isn't going to help the underhood temperature situation at all!
also: '03 WR450f, '03 919, '91 GLi, '76 Hobie 16

You can break the rules, but honor the [URL="http://www.jeepinwave.com/waverules.shtml"]tradition[/URL]!
ez__rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez__rider
I don't recall ever seeing such a thing...
You're in Texas? could be different down there of course, however I'd be a bit surprised because that black hood is absorbing extra heat from the sun, and that isn't going to help the underhood temperature situation at all!
No, not in Texas.
Unread 11-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Hmmmm. White body, black top, black fenders, black hood, cop motor, cop tires, cop shocks...

Sorry, blues brothers moment there
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
papabear1963

I have a yellow 06 TJ.I personaly don't think a black hood would be of any value as far as glare goes.Also,it would look like crap in my opinion.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
RickRJeep

Have you seen these things only in Alaska? I can't remember ever seeing one myself.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRJeep
Have you seen these things only in Alaska? I can't remember ever seeing one myself.
I guess I never thought about it....I just assumed they had them everywhere, but I can't swear to it. It's not just the white police cars, it's the yellow school buses too.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
RickRJeep

Hmm. None of our school buses have them here and most of our cop cars are black to begin with (just got a new fleet and paint job - they look pretty sharp). Maybe it has something to do with the cold weather and heating up in the winter? That's interesting, though.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRJeep
Hmm. None of our school buses have them here and most of our cop cars are black to begin with (just got a new fleet and paint job - they look pretty sharp). Maybe it has something to do with the cold weather and heating up in the winter? That's interesting, though.
Well, if that were true, you'd think everyone would do it. It's nice though - makes cop cars easier to spot (:
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
HawaiiJeeperMC
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yellow Jeep

I had (just sold since my JK will be here in a matter of minutes) a 2004 Yellow Unlimited, glare never bothered me and I never even wear sunglasses. I probably should, but I have a misshaped head, and they draw attention to that.

Anyway, I never had an issue. Hope that helps.

As far as a black hood, I think that might look cool if done right. I thought about putting a black stripe up the middle, but my wife has a bee phobia and she veto'd it.

Matt
98 Cherokee Classic, favorate vehicle I've ever owned-RIP

I'm thinking of a number between 2 and everything.

Last edited by HawaiiJeeperMC; 11-18-2007 at 02:08 AM..
HawaiiJeeperMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
Quentin_T
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, our school buses have black "Hoods" for some reason... But no different colored hoods for cops here.
Unread 11-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #12
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

As far as the cop cars go, the reason I was always told about them being black and white was the representation of the two colors. Black=Authority, hence a judges robe, and White=Purity. I don't think anyone ever thought about the glare off the hood though it does make sense. IMHO though I think adding a bllack hood to white or yellow would make it look like it had been wrecked and primed but not yet painted.
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez__rider
You're in Texas? !

He's just a wanna-be-texan

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock
He's just a wanna-be-texan
Ha!! I'll spare you my texas story - but let it suffice to say, people from texas would be most unamused (:
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ive had a yellow SC2 saturn and this JK yellow jeep and never had a glare issue.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.