Yay...heater not working... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-02-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yay...heater not working...

All vents blowing cold. Almost to the point of feeling like the A/C is running (it's 65 outside right now...).

I've been reading on the heater core issues (Mine's a 2012 JKUR), but don't see any deposits in the coolant reservoir (did have to add to it...basically empty).

Anything else to check before taking it in? I'm over 3 years...but under miles...so...warranty is gone.

Other note: CEL came on. Using key, it cycles through and says "Done", but no codes. Just...change engine oil (that's been coming on for a while now, though...they apparently set it for about 3500 miles, it still hasn't been 5000 miles since last change, which is the interval I usually go with).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Check ur thermo stat could need a replacement how many kms
post #3 of 18 Old 10-02-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

34500miles...so...55k km...give or take a few hundred.

Engine temp seems to be fine, though.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Does the heat be w hot air when u driving?
post #5 of 18 Old 10-02-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
Does the heat be w hot air when u driving?
Nope. Cold air at all times from all vents, defrost, floor.

Really hoping it's not the heater core
post #6 of 18 Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

It'd either coolant or thermostat
post #7 of 18 Old 10-03-2015, 12:18 AM
christensent
2014 JK Wrangler 

When you change to heat, do you hear the air flow sound change? You can definitely notice when the air flow is bypassed through the heater core, the air sound gets a bit louder at the same fan level. If you turn up the heat and hear absolutely no change (it takes a few seconds), then I'd say it's not your heater core, thermostat, etc. and is instead a computer problem or an issue with the servo that controls the air flow shutters.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

You said you checked the reservoir (and had to fill it)...did you check the coolant level in the radiator? If its low, fill to proper level and recheck the heater function. If its full, run the engine to normal operating temp and turn the heater on. Are both the heater hoses warm? If one hose is warm/hot and the other is cold, you have a clog in the heater core. If they're both warm, the problem is somewhere else (air/heater control as mentioned above). If they're both cold, you have a cooling system problem (low coolant, air pocket in block, stuck thermostat).
post #9 of 18 Old 10-03-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireguy View Post
You said you checked the reservoir (and had to fill it)...did you check the coolant level in the radiator? If its low, fill to proper level and recheck the heater function. If its full, run the engine to normal operating temp and turn the heater on. Are both the heater hoses warm? If one hose is warm/hot and the other is cold, you have a clog in the heater core. If they're both warm, the problem is somewhere else (air/heater control as mentioned above). If they're both cold, you have a cooling system problem (low coolant, air pocket in block, stuck thermostat).
Checked radiator and reservoir levels...both look good, no sludge in cap (whew). Checked heat on both hoses to core...both very hot as they should be.

To above...completely forgot about how it transitions to heat. We don't use heat many months out of the year here but yeah...there's no slight pause or blower change when you switch from cold to hot.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Alrighty. Apparently I'm blind...but not finding the A/c to heat actuator? Or is it the same one that shifts to the different vents (Floor, defrost, etc...).

ETA: Played with the one right inside the glove box to the left. That one apparently controls vent selector only...no broken teeth on it.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-26-2015, 06:28 AM
rye5122

Heater core defect

I have the same issue - took it in to the dealer and it needs a new heater core and radiator flush. There is likely a manufacturer defect in the core, but they aren't admitting to it yet. The repair was quoted at $1,600. Luckily I bought an extended warranty and it should be covered. But I think Jeep needs to take care of this issue. My 2012 Wrangler has less than 40K miles, the heater shouldn't be going out!
post #12 of 18 Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Shabbernigdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye5122 View Post
I have the same issue - took it in to the dealer and it needs a new heater core and radiator flush. There is likely a manufacturer defect in the core, but they aren't admitting to it yet. The repair was quoted at $1,600. Luckily I bought an extended warranty and it should be covered. But I think Jeep needs to take care of this issue. My 2012 Wrangler has less than 40K miles, the heater shouldn't be going out!
They have had issues with sludge building up in them and clogin them up. I read about it a few years ago and decided to flush out my coolant about a year after i bought the jeep. i ended up flushing out a bunch of pink slime had the consistancy of snot for lack of a better term. It had also built up at the bottom of the resivor botle as well.
post #13 of 18 Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 AM
ccrane2299
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a 2011 with the same issue. Dealer said it had block casting sand in the heater core. I took the radiator overflow bottle off before I took it to the dealer and it had some slimey white stuff in the bottom. The dealer flushed it and I had no more issues. You'd think with the new motor they would have fixed it?
post #14 of 18 Old 04-04-2016, 06:40 PM
mrdeezus
2013 JK Wrangler 

So, I'm having same issue and inside under center dash both metal tubes are hot and I hear no sound coming out of vent when switching to heat. Ill check radiator but if that's good maybe actuator or thermostat? thanks!
post #15 of 18 Old 04-05-2016, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine was the actuator that's buried behind the center console...cheap part...not cheap fix if you don't want rip the console out yourself...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.