yakima tracks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Cavi
2014 JK Wrangler 

yakima tracks

so I am going to use the yakima tracks with control towers and yakima crossbars. I am at a bit of a loss as to what tracks to order, i know I need the kit that has the capmuts, but they offer 42 inch tracks or 54, quadratec kit uses the 42 inch tracks but looking at the top of my jeep it seems the 54 inch ones would make more sense. For those who have done this did you use the 54 or the 42.
And before people freek that I am going this route all I will be carrying is surfboards, a wrapped sail or a kayak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 02:12 PM
en480c4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yakima tracks

I used 60" Thule tracks cut to fit on my last JKU. I think 54" would be a better fit depending on where you're planning on putting them. I mounted mine where the top was its thickest (two layers for most holes, and three above the roll bar), and had no issue with a ski box. I preferred this location to the top of the ribs. Layout front to back is tricky to ensure you don't hit the voids in the top and you do land in the right spot, but there are threads with additional detail of you need it.

Good luck.

Ian
2015 JKU Willys
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 02:46 PM
en480c4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a quote from my post on another forum about the install.

Quote:
I used a JK Forum thread the basis for the install on the hardtop on my 2012, but found that the hardtop change in 2011 that added an outer ridge changed my plans. I ended up trimming my 60" rails by one hole. I used the area in front of the inner cross member where the top is 3 layers thick as my starting point, and drilled there from the inside. This aligned with the 5th hole back from the front on the tracks. The holes were 2 1/4" out from the first rib that runs front to back on the top, and it put the track right between the new outer ridge on the 2011+ tops and the first inner rib.

For anyone who goes with the Thule setup, the M5x40mm bolts are way too long. I went to Lowes and bought 12 10-24x3/4" stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts. They fit the same size hole, but are about half as long and kept me from having to trim the bolts inside the top. The bolts are plenty long enough to go through the area where the top is two layers thick and are just long enough to get through the 3 layer area and catch the nylon part of the nut.

The pattern I used for the bolts (X for bolt, O for open hole) was X X O X X O O X O X. I wanted the extra bolts up front for any uplift from the box I'm going to be using, and the two open in a row are because of the wide inner cross member.

Ian
2015 JKU Willys

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Cavi
2014 JK Wrangler 

Did you have to take the top off? I am wondering if the front holes might be blocked by the sound bar?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 04:19 PM
en480c4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yakima tracks

I did. The roll bar and sound bar would likely make it tough to do on the Jeep. Lifting it up with some blocks might give you the room you need. It's been a few years, so I can't say for sure. The only hole I drilled from the bottom was the starting point where it's three layers thick.

Ian
2015 JKU Willys
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Cavi
2014 JK Wrangler 

I figured as much but I was being lazy as I have the bestop sunrider for freedomtop and it is a bit of a pain to remove.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.