xenon flat flares question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > xenon flat flares question

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

xenon flat flares question

hi to all, i have a quick question for those with xenon flat flares. I have a friend with a 4dr rubi with some bushwackers he doesn't like, and is willing to swap them out for some xenons. I would like to know, if the xenons reuse any of the stock flares hardware, or if they do bolt directly to the metal. If they reused the stock inner fender structure would be a problem since the installation of the bushwackers required some chopping there...
Hope you understand the situation!
Thanks to all!!!
Chris

ChrisYJ - Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing?Pleeese
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
tcourdin

Yup, they re-use the stock screws and plastic nuts.

Depending on how much he cut off already they may fit...the Xenon flats sit up a bit higher on the body so you could probably drill some more holes.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Actually, on the JK, only part of the inner fender is reused (trimmed), along with 2 bolts and one plastic "bolt" from the front inner fender and 6? of the black, christmas-tree-type plastic screws for the rear fender lining. The christmas-tree-type plastic screws are easy to find at most auto parts stores--or in the States at Home Depot or Lowes.

As long as Chris' friend has the part of the black plastic inner fenders that reach as far as the edge of the metal body of his external fenders, he will be in good shape. If the Bushwackers required trimming of the internal black fender "liners" further in than the metal body, a different approach will have to be taken.

The Xenon flares attach to all the outside trim stock holes along the edge of the fenders via newly supplied bolts, nuts, washers, and rivets.

A rivet tool is included to install the rivets in all but the top two fender holes for the rear flares.

All the the stock hole locations along the edge of the fenders are drilled slightly larger to be able to fit the rivets in the rear and the bolts in the front.

The Xenon design allows for easy flare removal and re-installation (with a 11 mm box end wrench and 11 mm rachet). It is also much more durable with the bolts design compared to the plastic hardware used to mount the stock flares.

The stock flares are attached primarily through a series of black plastic attaching pieces and the usual, black, christmas tree-type, push screws.
planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

nice bit of info. I have been looking at the Xenon flares for awhile now.
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have pulled mine back off at the moment so that I can paint the JK's white body black underneath the flares.

At EJS, most people that saw them in person liked them. Although some would have preferred the narrow ones (4.5" narrower than mine).

In case you haven't seen mine on a 2.5" TF BB with 35" Toyo MTs on Cragar Soft 8s, with 4.5" backspacing:

Unread 04-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the good info!!! Well i'll have to check the jeep better, to see were the inner fender structure is trimmed at. I hope there's enough !Maybe i'll be able to post a pic

Planman, your jeep is the one that made him wanting those flares!!! you can be proud
He has the same wheels you have, so those pics are great for us. I know there are 2 different widths, are you running the wider or the narrower ones?

Thanks!!!!
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisYJ - Italy View Post
Thanks all for the good info!!! Well i'll have to check the jeep better, to see were the inner fender structure is trimmed at. I hope there's enough !Maybe i'll be able to post a pic

Planman, your jeep is the one that made him wanting those flares!!! you can be proud
He has the same wheels you have, so those pics are great for us. I know there are 2 different widths, are you running the wider or the narrower ones?

Thanks!!!!
Hey thanks.

I have 17x8 Cragar Soft 8s with 4.5" backspacing, and I have the wider flares. In Montana, it wasn't necessary to have the wider ones, but I chose them to reduce mess from mud, snow, gravel, and ice-melting road chemicals.
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

here is how the inner fender part has been trimmed to fit the bushcrackers

Will this work?

Planman, how did you like the flares, looks apart wich is a totally personal thing? Are they durable as standard xenons? any design flaws to be concerned of?

In Italy we have strict tire coverage rules unfortunately
Are you sure about the backspacing on the wheels? I thought all cragar soft8s were 4 backspacing?
Thank you!!!!
Chris
Unread 04-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

That internal structure is not used with the Xenons. Only the black inner liner that is underneath the JK body is reused.

The currently available Xenons are very durable. They are made of polyurethane--same stuff as coil spring spacers. I really like mine.

I ordered my Cragars from Summitracing.com, and there are different widths and backspacing for 17" wheels. I do not recall the options for 16" wheels.
Unread 04-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
ChrisYJ - Italy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great, now i got it.... thanks so much for this useful info!!!! I think we will go ahead so....
I am strongly considering getting a set for my yj too....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.