X, Sahara, Rubicon...little help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > X, Sahara, Rubicon...little help?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 06-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
awd_brian

X, Sahara, Rubicon...little help?

Ok, I'm new to Jeeps. I like the sound of the JK, and have no bias towards any of the older models. That said, which model would be the most functional for a daily driver, and still be able to have fun on the weekends when I want to? Is there a huge difference between the 3?

I won't be diving into mods right away, most of my mod money goes towards my current car, and I want to be able to put it down and pull the engine to put on a lot of goodies, and need a new DD in order to do so.

From what I understand from reading on here a bit, the X is just the baseline model, with room for improvements as you want them. The Sahara seems like more of a visual package (I haven't really read anything about it), and the Rubi is like an X with a basic mod list already installed.

So, what are your thoughts?

awd_brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Rubicon is the "top shelf" model; several magazines have said that pound for pound, it's the most capable out-of-the-box 4x4 on the market. It has some features that will be beyond the needs of a beginner, but nice to have and you won't have to worry about what to upgrade first.

On the TJ (the 97 - 06 wrangler), the Sahara package was pretty much a cosmetic package with things like painted fender flares and a spare tire cover. The Sahara, in the new line-up, basically takes a lot of the high-end features that come standard on the Rubicon and makes them optional. I'd say that the Sahara is more of a balance between DD/weekend warrior. NOt to say that the Rubi wouldn't make a great DD, but if you aren't gonna make use of most of the features that make it special, why spend the extra five grand (or whatever)?

And yes, the X is the base model, but since they all come with the V6 now, I'm thinking that the axles, gear ratios, and wheel/tire packages are the only major systems that would get upgraded. And little stuff like whether you get full doors or half doors, hard top or soft top, the option of power windows and locks now, etcetera.

So what's the project car? I just sold a '69 Dodge Charger and a '91 XJ, and I have a '91 Camaro I'm trying to sell right now. Too many "project vehicles" and not enough time or money!
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
awd_brian

Wow thanks...looks like the Sahara might end up being the best option if the price is right. -haha maybe I'll see if the can deploy me again so I can pay for the Rubi.

As for the project car, it's a 97 Mitsu 3000gt VR-4. I'm finally done with all the "forced upgrades" so far, and now I can look into trying to make it a little faster. It'll be freshly painted on the 8th, so I'm looking forward to driving it again (been drivin the wife's car.)

And, I'm jealous of the charger (even though you sold it), those are sweet.
Unread 07-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
pdxbubba
2006 KJ Liberty 

WHat are the odds of finding a stock Rubi out there? or are dealers going to load them up with high profit extras to boast the price?
Unread 07-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbubba
WHat are the odds of finding a stock Rubi out there? or are dealers going to load them up with high profit extras to boast the price?
You mean a TJ Rubi? Probably pretty good. I know that when we went to the Toledo dealership about two weeks ago, they still had five or six '06 Rubis on the lot and two used Rubis next door. Ask the dealer to check around; you might wind up paying for them to transfer it, but you could still find what you want. Or you might be better off to pay a hundred bucks for a one-way plane ticket if you find one that you really want, but it's far away.
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
awd_brian

Reallllyyyy looking forward to getting my jeep now. Finally got my wife sold on the idea, after spending all day on MT. Rainier today. Nothing like the 4th of july where it's 75 and sunny, and 2 ft. of snow. And I'll definately be going with the Sahara, now the only question is hard or soft top. Who knows i'll probably get both.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.