WTB 2 new jk's...have ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > WTB 2 new jk's...have ?'s

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 12-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
taj8250
2008 JK Wrangler 

WTB 2 new jk's...have ?'s

First off, hello everyone. I've been lurking for awhile just tryin to feel out the community and get as many questions answered as I can. Here is my dilemma:

My wife and I have been looking at Jeeps for several weeks now. Were going out tomorrow so that she can test drive one. She said that maybe we should both get one. I would imagine that at least unless she gets the full on wheelin bug my rig would be the one that see's the most abuse. And that probably won't be as much as I would like due to my work. I think that we will try and get her an Unlimited X and I would at least like the Sahara if I can't find a good enough deal on a Rubicon. So here are my questions:

Are the extras on the Rubi worth the extra $'s?
(maybe I should look for two X's)

Auto or Manual?
(she won't drive another stick, so this is for me. Does the manual drive better on road with lift and bigger tires? It still has to be a daily driver.)

Do Jeeps fit in garage's? (2 car garages with the single doors for each vehicle)

Are they car seat friendly?

Is black really hard to keep lookin good compared to the other colors?

Other than all the stuff you want to do, is there anything that just needs to be done once you bring one home?

Thanks for the help!

taj8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj8250 View Post
Are the extras on the Rubi worth the extra $'s?
(maybe I should look for two X's)
That would depend on the type of wheeling you plan on doing. The benefits of the Rubi are lockers, 4.10 gears, D44 up front and e-disco
E-disco is simple enough to overcome (X's & Sahara) by simply buying quick disconnects.
The lockers are not so easy to overcome- you would have to buy an aftermarket locker and install them. So for the wheeling you plan to do, are lockers a must?
4.10 gears- If you plan on bigger tires, you'll likely regear anyway. I have 35's with 4.10's and automatic. It's bearable, but I live in flatlands. People with 4.10's & auto in hilly areas hate it and usually regear. 4.10's and manual- mixed reviews- some people dislike it and regear, others say it is fine.
D44 front- You can beef up the D30 (X & Sahara) fairly inexpensive. Or you can buy a D44 for under $2k and just replace the D30

Quote:
Auto or Manual?
(she won't drive another stick, so this is for me. Does the manual drive better on road with lift and bigger tires? It still has to be a daily driver.)
That issue has been debated to death. IMHO- I love my auto for wheeling- it allows you to focus on the obstacle and not have to think about the clutch. Others like that extra challenge. As far as street- of course auto is always better for city driving (others will disagree with this but I don't care ). As far as tires- really depends how big you want to go, and which gears you have stock. 35's (and larger) on anything less than 4.10 gears, and you will probably want to regear regardless of which transmission you have.

Quote:
Do Jeeps fit in garage's? (2 car garages with the single doors for each vehicle)
Yes. The only limiting factor to garaging a JK is going to be the amount of lift. Pretty much anything up to 4" lift will fit. But of course that depends on the height of your garage.

Quote:
Are they car seat friendly?
The 4dr is. The 2dr will be a nightmare trying to put a kid into their carseat.

Quote:
Is black really hard to keep lookin good compared to the other colors?
If you wheel it in areas where you are prone to branch and brush- black will show those scratches pretty bad. But so do most of the other colors. Silver is the best color to hide the scratches.

Quote:
Other than all the stuff you want to do, is there anything that just needs to be done once you bring one home?
Yeah- take it out wheeling The best way to determine what mods you want to do is to wheel it stock and figure out where the weak points are for your type of wheeling

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Gravitytester
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with everything N2rock said. My only comment would be this. A lot of times people by entry model like the X or Sahara and then plan on upgrading to rubi equivalent or better over time. Well you get home and you find things to spend the money on other than the jeep and you never get it upgraded. If you buy it with several of the bells and whistles on it, you do ot have to worry about it later. I bought my Rubi and all I plan to do to it now is a 2.5" Rough Country suspension lift and 33X12.50 wheels. This is all I need for my type of use. iF I had bought an X or Sahara I would have had to spend quite a bit more than I am going to spend now to get the equivalent vehicle. Now if you get a really great deal on a Sahara or and X it might be worth it to go that route.
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
BigTrace
2007 JK Wrangler 

one of the other, nicer features that hasn't been mentioned is the rock-trac 4-wheel drive transfer case that allows you to crawl REAL slow (4:1) as opposed to the others. The elctronic disco is $1300 + the D44 at around $2000 + F/R lockers at 1000 each never mind the stock mud-terrains you get. Overall, a better value out of the box.

You could look at slightly used ones in an area around you. I was able to find a LOADED 2007 Rubi unlimited that a guy put about 15k into for 27k total. Never wheeled it as a lot of the guys just wanted to look cool. He did everything the right way too. I'm finishing what he started by sinking another 6-7k into it this week but then ill be done for a long while. Do I need all of it?? not really, but i used to have an 08 sahara unlimited which would have cost me at least $6k just to bring it up to Rubi standards never mind modding it from there. The advice I got was to start at the Rubi platform, not the Sahara platform which, now in hindsight, was good advice..
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
taj8250
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I found a dealer with 2 identical rubicons listed at 33k. I wonder what they would let both of em go for?
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Gravitytester
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea I would not pay 33K for a rubi. I think you should be able to get a unlimited Rubi for around 30K. I might be to optimistic though.
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitytester View Post
Yea I would not pay 33K for a rubi. I think you should be able to get a unlimited Rubi for around 30K. I might be to optimistic though.
Lower... Had a buddy quoted $29k for Unlimited Rubi with everything. Now if someone is buying 2- talk to the Fleet Sales Manager because they can cut even better deals.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Gravitytester. $30,000 would be a great price.
Tell you what OP, you buy a couple $33,000 Rubicon Unlimiteds from me for $60,000 and I'll throw in a PT Cruiser for the heck of it. Seriously.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Gravitytester
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
I agree with Gravitytester. $30,000 would be a great price.
Tell you what OP, you buy a couple $33,000 Rubicon Unlimiteds from me for $60,000 and I'll throw in a PT Cruiser for the heck of it. Seriously.
Then buy my plane ticket out there and I will drive one back for you
Unread 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Shop around... my local dealer is/was offering this if you are an AARP member:

AARP full membership only:

Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep now has a AARP members discount on most of our 08/09 lineup. Take this opportunity to upgrade into the jeep of your dreams and a HUGE discount!

What do I get?

Chrysler Employee factory Discount
Consumer Rebate
Auto Show Rebate
AARP Rebate

Expires:12/15/2008
Please Call if you have any questions

For Example:

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
List Price:$35,680
EP:$31,140
Rebate:$2,000
AARP Rebate:$4,000
Auto Show Cash:$500.00
-----------------------------

Your Price:$24,640

Now I say that's a pretty sweet deal.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
TNJeepMan

The X's and Sahara's are pretty off road capable. I've got plenty of customers who wheel them pretty hard with no problem. It all depends on what level of Off Road your talking about it. If its moderate, your probably fine with two X's or Saharas. If you are going to be wheeling hard, maybe go with one Rubi. Or if you want matching Rubi's, more power to you.

We're selling our remaining 08 Wranglers at $4-$6K off depending on make, model, etc... we've been moving them quickly at those discounts.

Good luck in your search, you'll love your new Jeeps.
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
That1guy
2007 WK 

hahaha this is sweet, Just get her a 4dr x model with the auto and get yourself a 2 door of your chosing with a stick. Its a win win deal.
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
taj8250
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I think the wife is backing out. Says she doesn't think she needs one, but that I should if I still want one.
Let me think................yeah I still want one. So I'm thinkin I should just get whatever '08 I can find that is still out there that I can get a good deal on. Do some mild mods, learn a little, get her involved and then hand it over to her in a few years and maybe then get a full on Rubi monster. At this point I'm not sure I need everything the Rubi has to offer. Yes I want it, but from everything I have read it seems like the X or Sahara is just as capable for the weekend fun I want to have.
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Go with a 2dr Rubi! My little girl can climb into the back seat (car seat) with no trouble (and soon she'll be able to manage the seat belt with no help). It's not that big a deal. In the summer, with the top down, adults can easily jump in over the back door. I admit, getting into the back is difficult with the top up for even a small adult. The Wife will be hooked in no time and you'll be forced to buy a second one, so leave the 4 dr for later!
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

One other unmentioned benefit to the Rubi over the X or Sahara is the 4:1 transfer case. this gives you lower gearing when in 4 low (or even 2-low if you have a Tera low kit).
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.