Writeup for swapping springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Writeup for swapping springs

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
computerguy

Writeup for swapping springs

Are there any good writeups for swapping springs? I just picked up a set of Rubicon springs and shocks to install into my X Unlimited. I assume this should be pretty easy, but would like some instructions before tackling it.

computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
DavidJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at these lift instructions.

http://www.teraflex.biz/?wpv_file_id...e04001ecdbf420
DavidJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
computerguy

Thanks! I tried that link but it does not work.
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
GOREBS

If you are going to do that you may as well do a BB. I did the RC 2.5 BB and added some Rubicon shocks i got for dirt cheap. I already had the heavier springs because ive got the tow pkg.

GO REBS
GOREBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

This is a cake-walk job.

- lift Jeep by frame and put on jackstands, (if you can't get it high, take your wheels off)
- put a jack under the axle and raise it till it just supports the weight of the axle.
- remove bolts for sway bar (lower) and lower shock bolts
- slowly lower the jack holding up the axle. It will drop low enough that the springs should fall out.

If you have a spring compressor, its a bonus - ESPECIALLY for tall springs. If you have an auto, you might have to remove the tranny skid plate or else it will catch the front drive shaft, preventing it from lowering far enough (again, spring compressor is nice). I was able to put OME 4dr HD coils in mine without removing the skid plate or the track bar. I used a compressor though, just because I had it. Not sure if I needed it. You can rent them REALLY cheap.

Total job was just under 2 hours for all 4 springs with the right tools. My coils replaced a BB, so I already had shocks on.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
DavidJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Thanks! I tried that link but it does not work.
Sorry about that. Just go to www.teraflex.biz and look at the install instructions for a 2.5" coil lift. It will walk you right through swapping springs and even has some pics.
DavidJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

It's very straight forward to R&R the springs and shocks. As mentioned above, you will need to pay attention to the front driveshaft and the brake lines when you lower the axle.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Before you make the switch, take a look at the tags on the new springs and your current springs. If the last 2 numbers on the new springs are not higher numbers than your current springs, you are wasting your time. The front springs should be 2 different numbers with the lower number going on the driver's side.

Rubicon springs are not necessarily stiffer. An unlimited with tow package has the stiffest rated springs. The is a great write up somewhere on JK Owners.
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
computerguy

The springs do not have tags on them. They came off a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon with a hard top and tow package. So I need to be careful which front spring goes on the drivers side?
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
The springs do not have tags on them. They came off a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon with a hard top and tow package. So I need to be careful which front spring goes on the drivers side?
No the front doesn't matter and I'm not sure the rear does either.....
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
rerard

I just finished swapping one front spring, took me about 20 minutes. I went from 13's to 16's and unfortunately it only gave me about 1/2" of lift (I should have done better research). Both front springs had the same numbers. I'm only putting on 33's so I don't need much lift anyway, plus I am planning to trim the bumper tomorrow and maybe the fenders if I have time.

I'm working from home today so I'll do the other springs throughout the day and throw up some pics when I'm done.
rerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is a pretty awesome write up.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource TeraFlex Jeep JK Wrangler 2.5″ Budget Boost Lift Installation Write-Up

I have a feeling I might be doing this BB someday
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
computerguy

Thanks! I appreciate it!
Unread 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJK09 View Post
No the front doesn't matter and I'm not sure the rear does either.....
Actually it does. The higher rated spring goes on the passenger side to compensate for the fuel tank.
Unread 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
computerguy

Ok...........if I have no tags on the springs then how do I know which is which? Are they stamped anywhere? I really appreciate everyone's input!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.