JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Writeup for swapping springs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/writeup-swapping-springs-969544/)

computerguy 02-11-2010 06:36 AM

Writeup for swapping springs

Are there any good writeups for swapping springs? I just picked up a set of Rubicon springs and shocks to install into my X Unlimited. I assume this should be pretty easy, but would like some instructions before tackling it.

DavidJK 02-11-2010 06:50 AM

Take a look at these lift instructions.

http://www.teraflex.biz/?wpv_file_id...e04001ecdbf420

computerguy 02-11-2010 06:53 AM

Thanks! I tried that link but it does not work.

GOREBS 02-11-2010 06:58 AM

If you are going to do that you may as well do a BB. I did the RC 2.5 BB and added some Rubicon shocks i got for dirt cheap. I already had the heavier springs because ive got the tow pkg.

GO REBS

tricked919 02-11-2010 07:17 AM

This is a cake-walk job.

- lift Jeep by frame and put on jackstands, (if you can't get it high, take your wheels off)
- put a jack under the axle and raise it till it just supports the weight of the axle.
- remove bolts for sway bar (lower) and lower shock bolts
- slowly lower the jack holding up the axle. It will drop low enough that the springs should fall out.

If you have a spring compressor, its a bonus - ESPECIALLY for tall springs. If you have an auto, you might have to remove the tranny skid plate or else it will catch the front drive shaft, preventing it from lowering far enough (again, spring compressor is nice). I was able to put OME 4dr HD coils in mine without removing the skid plate or the track bar. I used a compressor though, just because I had it. Not sure if I needed it. You can rent them REALLY cheap.

Total job was just under 2 hours for all 4 springs with the right tools. My coils replaced a BB, so I already had shocks on.

DavidJK 02-11-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerguy (Post 8872650)
Thanks! I tried that link but it does not work.

Sorry about that. Just go to www.teraflex.biz and look at the install instructions for a 2.5" coil lift. It will walk you right through swapping springs and even has some pics.

Blu-Jacket 02-11-2010 04:43 PM

It's very straight forward to R&R the springs and shocks. As mentioned above, you will need to pay attention to the front driveshaft and the brake lines when you lower the axle.

daggo66 02-12-2010 06:14 AM

Before you make the switch, take a look at the tags on the new springs and your current springs. If the last 2 numbers on the new springs are not higher numbers than your current springs, you are wasting your time. The front springs should be 2 different numbers with the lower number going on the driver's side.

Rubicon springs are not necessarily stiffer. An unlimited with tow package has the stiffest rated springs. The is a great write up somewhere on JK Owners.

computerguy 02-12-2010 07:49 AM

The springs do not have tags on them. They came off a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon with a hard top and tow package. So I need to be careful which front spring goes on the drivers side?

MattJK09 02-12-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerguy (Post 8879214)
The springs do not have tags on them. They came off a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon with a hard top and tow package. So I need to be careful which front spring goes on the drivers side?

No the front doesn't matter and I'm not sure the rear does either.....

rerard 02-12-2010 10:08 AM

I just finished swapping one front spring, took me about 20 minutes. I went from 13's to 16's and unfortunately it only gave me about 1/2" of lift (I should have done better research). Both front springs had the same numbers. I'm only putting on 33's so I don't need much lift anyway, plus I am planning to trim the bumper tomorrow and maybe the fenders if I have time.

I'm working from home today so I'll do the other springs throughout the day and throw up some pics when I'm done.

dirtyjpwrangler 02-12-2010 10:09 AM

This is a pretty awesome write up.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource TeraFlex Jeep JK Wrangler 2.5″ Budget Boost Lift Installation Write-Up

I have a feeling I might be doing this BB someday

computerguy 02-12-2010 10:10 AM

Thanks! I appreciate it!

daggo66 02-12-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattJK09 (Post 8879281)
No the front doesn't matter and I'm not sure the rear does either.....

Actually it does. The higher rated spring goes on the passenger side to compensate for the fuel tank.

computerguy 02-12-2010 11:53 AM

Ok...........if I have no tags on the springs then how do I know which is which? Are they stamped anywhere? I really appreciate everyone's input!

The time now is 07:53 PM.