Write-up: Video monitor install with stock DVD player - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Write-up: Video monitor install with stock DVD player

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 09-20-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
squid2004

Write-up: Video monitor install with stock DVD player

Finally got the mount I needed and some other pieces so I decided to tackle my video monitor install tonight. Took about 2 hours from start to finish and that includes removing plastic pieces, drilling/mounting, wiring, testing and cleaning up. And it should be known that I'm not a professional installer and not really a DIY kind of guy, but stuff like this is fun and helps you understand your vehicle better.

I love the stock JK head unit and the fact that is has DVD... so I purchased a $100 LCD monitor on ebay to take full advantage. You can find LCD monitors in this size anywhere from $90-300 depending on brand and quality. Pyle is probably the cheapest and this Sony used to go for $300-400 but are now like $150 on ebay. It was a steal at $100 - I wish the guy had more of them!

the monitor is a Sony LCD with wireless video capability, came with wireless headphones, has 2 video in, 1 out (to another monitor or recording device), separate video breakout box, all cabling, great manual, and looks fantastic.

So I started with removing the plastic over the rearview as I want to mount my monitor above it. It basically pops out as it is secured by the typical tabs. Turned over so you can see position of the tabs:

I used a universal ram mount with two ball ends for numerous configuration options. Re-installed the plastic now with the ram mount and sony monitor holder:

so now I start taking the dash apart. Always helps to know where the tabs are so you don't break or crack anything. top lid:

removing the dash face -- two screws at the top, two just below the power outlets (after you remove that lower cover in front of the shifter):

I stashed the separate video input/output box that the sony came with behind the glovebox - man there is a lot of room back there:

Head unit easily comes out by taking out 4 screws and simply pulling it out -- unplug the main wiring harness, antenna, and another plug and it comes all the way out.

I used a HDD LED cable from an old computer motherboard/case to easily plug into the video plugs 6 & 7 on the head unit (plug 6 is video and 7 is the ground plug):

I attached my video cable to that (spliced it together) and then cleaned everything up, fired it up and put in a music DVD.

clean install shot --- I ran the main cable to the monitor up through the plastic along the windshield and down the passenger side into the glovebox:

it's fairly easy to navigate the DVD using the headunit controls:

Then for kicks I wanted to try the wireless video feed so I had an x10 camera in the garage that was plugged in, switched to input 3/receiver on the monitor and low and behold, live video feed via wireless!

here is the wireless cam about 10 ft away. shot from the cam over to the jeep:

Next steps:
I'll probably add a backup (and maybe other) cameras next and use input 2 on the sony but have a switch or another video switcher. Probably add an xbox and other devices at some point so a switcher will come in handy. I'll also remove the power plug and hard wire it behind the dash. I may consider a second monitor for the rear seat - but I want it to easily flip up/down out of the way.

skill level: easy

time: 2-3 hours

tools: basic screwdriver and cloth to remove dash/plastic pieces, 7mm socket or screwdriver, wire stripper/crimper, video cable to cut/splice into head unit

Let me know if you'd like additional information or pictures.

Unread 09-20-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent writeup!
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Vincewms

Nicely done! I dig the wireless capability too. Has anyone figured out how to keep the DVD player going in drive?

Factory Stuff: Everything you can get for it - the ashtray
Stock nomore products:
Bestop High rock Bumper with factory fogs custon fit.
2.5 teraflex BB lift and stocker tires and rimz for now
Vincewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
gjeepguy

i dont beleive that the DVD player is integrated with the jeep enough to know if you are in drive...

since it didnt come with a monitor from the factory, the dvd feature allows you to put mp3s on a dvd (larger storage capacity than a CD) to play in the jeep.

2007 Black Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.
Hard top, Full doors, Power Group, Sirius 6 Disc,
2.5" Teraflex BB, 315x70R17's on AEV Pintler Rims
gjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
squid2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincewms
Nicely done! I dig the wireless capability too. Has anyone figured out how to keep the DVD player going in drive?
Thanks!

I put it in reverse, neutral and drive and it stayed on --- however I haven't been on the road yet. So hopefully it doesn't turn off when I reach a certain speed.

However, there was a "parking brake" wire with the monitor that is optional.

EDIT: just drove around and it worked flawlessly

Last edited by squid2004; 09-20-2007 at 07:52 AM..
squid2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
VBS4

It won't turn off at any speed. I've had mine going for several months now and taken several trips.
VBS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
mikejwil

Excellent info! Thanks!
1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN
1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
mikejwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
roldog24

What Kind of LCD is that? I looked all over ebay for that type of lcd with the wireless and video adapters but was unsuccessful. A model type would be a big help as I am doing the same project very soon.

Thanks
roldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
squid2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by roldog24
What Kind of LCD is that? I looked all over ebay for that type of lcd with the wireless and video adapters but was unsuccessful. A model type would be a big help as I am doing the same project very soon.

Thanks
I think it may be discontinued as they had a head unit that worked with it to display dvd video wirelessly. So a $400 monitor was going for $150 or so on ebay, but there were only a couple. One night i saw one auction ending in like 30 mins for this monitor and snatched it up for $100.

It's awesome but you may not be able to find them anymore. Here is the model info: Sony XVM-F65WL headrest monitor 6.5 widescreen

I'm afraid to share that info almost as I'd like a 2nd one for the rear
Unread 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
RON310
2006 LJ Wrangler 

so let me see if i understand this correctly....

The head unit can play dvd's, but you need to get your own screen?
The capability is already there?
RON310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

you are correct, and it will play video while driving.
Unread 09-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
SW4006

Hmmm...

I put a DVD in the stock unit with no monitor and it would not play the CD. It displayed something like "CD read error". Does it need to have a monitor to work.

Sounds like a dumb question, but I figured that if I put a DVD in, I would at least be able to hear the music on the menu screen. What do you think?
SW4006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #13
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW4006
I put a DVD in the stock unit with no monitor and it would not play the CD. It displayed something like "CD read error". Does it need to have a monitor to work.

Sounds like a dumb question, but I figured that if I put a DVD in, I would at least be able to hear the music on the menu screen. What do you think?
You have to have the 6-disc in dash changer to play DVD's. If you only have a single disc head unit it will only play CD's.
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
squid2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON310
so let me see if i understand this correctly....

The head unit can play dvd's, but you need to get your own screen?
The capability is already there?

do you have the 6-disc and does it have the DVD logo on the front?
Unread 09-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Please update the post with a video switcher. I've been thinking about having 2-3 video feed and would like to know which swith you'll be using.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install , JK Wrangler , stock head unit , vidio monitor , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.