Write-up: Video monitor install with stock DVD player - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Write-up: Video monitor install with stock DVD player

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
squid2004

Write-up: Video monitor install with stock DVD player

Finally got the mount I needed and some other pieces so I decided to tackle my video monitor install tonight. Took about 2 hours from start to finish and that includes removing plastic pieces, drilling/mounting, wiring, testing and cleaning up. And it should be known that I'm not a professional installer and not really a DIY kind of guy, but stuff like this is fun and helps you understand your vehicle better.

I love the stock JK head unit and the fact that is has DVD... so I purchased a $100 LCD monitor on ebay to take full advantage. You can find LCD monitors in this size anywhere from $90-300 depending on brand and quality. Pyle is probably the cheapest and this Sony used to go for $300-400 but are now like $150 on ebay. It was a steal at $100 - I wish the guy had more of them!

the monitor is a Sony LCD with wireless video capability, came with wireless headphones, has 2 video in, 1 out (to another monitor or recording device), separate video breakout box, all cabling, great manual, and looks fantastic.

So I started with removing the plastic over the rearview as I want to mount my monitor above it. It basically pops out as it is secured by the typical tabs. Turned over so you can see position of the tabs:

I used a universal ram mount with two ball ends for numerous configuration options. Re-installed the plastic now with the ram mount and sony monitor holder:

so now I start taking the dash apart. Always helps to know where the tabs are so you don't break or crack anything. top lid:

removing the dash face -- two screws at the top, two just below the power outlets (after you remove that lower cover in front of the shifter):

I stashed the separate video input/output box that the sony came with behind the glovebox - man there is a lot of room back there:

Head unit easily comes out by taking out 4 screws and simply pulling it out -- unplug the main wiring harness, antenna, and another plug and it comes all the way out.

I used a HDD LED cable from an old computer motherboard/case to easily plug into the video plugs 6 & 7 on the head unit (plug 6 is video and 7 is the ground plug):

I attached my video cable to that (spliced it together) and then cleaned everything up, fired it up and put in a music DVD.

clean install shot --- I ran the main cable to the monitor up through the plastic along the windshield and down the passenger side into the glovebox:

it's fairly easy to navigate the DVD using the headunit controls:

Then for kicks I wanted to try the wireless video feed so I had an x10 camera in the garage that was plugged in, switched to input 3/receiver on the monitor and low and behold, live video feed via wireless!

here is the wireless cam about 10 ft away. shot from the cam over to the jeep:

Next steps:
I'll probably add a backup (and maybe other) cameras next and use input 2 on the sony but have a switch or another video switcher. Probably add an xbox and other devices at some point so a switcher will come in handy. I'll also remove the power plug and hard wire it behind the dash. I may consider a second monitor for the rear seat - but I want it to easily flip up/down out of the way.

skill level: easy

time: 2-3 hours

tools: basic screwdriver and cloth to remove dash/plastic pieces, 7mm socket or screwdriver, wire stripper/crimper, video cable to cut/splice into head unit

Let me know if you'd like additional information or pictures.

Unread 09-20-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent writeup!
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Vincewms

Nicely done! I dig the wireless capability too. Has anyone figured out how to keep the DVD player going in drive?

Factory Stuff: Everything you can get for it - the ashtray
Stock nomore products:
Bestop High rock Bumper with factory fogs custon fit.
2.5 teraflex BB lift and stocker tires and rimz for now
Vincewms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
gjeepguy

i dont beleive that the DVD player is integrated with the jeep enough to know if you are in drive...

since it didnt come with a monitor from the factory, the dvd feature allows you to put mp3s on a dvd (larger storage capacity than a CD) to play in the jeep.

2007 Black Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.
Hard top, Full doors, Power Group, Sirius 6 Disc,
2.5" Teraflex BB, 315x70R17's on AEV Pintler Rims
gjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
squid2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincewms
Nicely done! I dig the wireless capability too. Has anyone figured out how to keep the DVD player going in drive?
Thanks!

I put it in reverse, neutral and drive and it stayed on --- however I haven't been on the road yet. So hopefully it doesn't turn off when I reach a certain speed.

However, there was a "parking brake" wire with the monitor that is optional.

EDIT: just drove around and it worked flawlessly

Last edited by squid2004; 09-20-2007 at 08:52 AM..
squid2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
VBS4

It won't turn off at any speed. I've had mine going for several months now and taken several trips.
VBS4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
mikejwil

Excellent info! Thanks!
1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN
1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
mikejwil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
roldog24

What Kind of LCD is that? I looked all over ebay for that type of lcd with the wireless and video adapters but was unsuccessful. A model type would be a big help as I am doing the same project very soon.

Thanks
roldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
squid2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by roldog24
What Kind of LCD is that? I looked all over ebay for that type of lcd with the wireless and video adapters but was unsuccessful. A model type would be a big help as I am doing the same project very soon.

Thanks
I think it may be discontinued as they had a head unit that worked with it to display dvd video wirelessly. So a $400 monitor was going for $150 or so on ebay, but there were only a couple. One night i saw one auction ending in like 30 mins for this monitor and snatched it up for $100.

It's awesome but you may not be able to find them anymore. Here is the model info: Sony XVM-F65WL headrest monitor 6.5 widescreen

I'm afraid to share that info almost as I'd like a 2nd one for the rear
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
RON310
2006 LJ Wrangler 

so let me see if i understand this correctly....

The head unit can play dvd's, but you need to get your own screen?
The capability is already there?
RON310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

you are correct, and it will play video while driving.
Unread 09-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #12
SW4006

Hmmm...

I put a DVD in the stock unit with no monitor and it would not play the CD. It displayed something like "CD read error". Does it need to have a monitor to work.

Sounds like a dumb question, but I figured that if I put a DVD in, I would at least be able to hear the music on the menu screen. What do you think?
SW4006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW4006
I put a DVD in the stock unit with no monitor and it would not play the CD. It displayed something like "CD read error". Does it need to have a monitor to work.

Sounds like a dumb question, but I figured that if I put a DVD in, I would at least be able to hear the music on the menu screen. What do you think?
You have to have the 6-disc in dash changer to play DVD's. If you only have a single disc head unit it will only play CD's.
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
squid2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON310
so let me see if i understand this correctly....

The head unit can play dvd's, but you need to get your own screen?
The capability is already there?

do you have the 6-disc and does it have the DVD logo on the front?
Unread 09-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Please update the post with a video switcher. I've been thinking about having 2-3 video feed and would like to know which swith you'll be using.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
install , JK Wrangler , stock head unit , vidio monitor , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.