Write-up: Rear door panel removal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Write-up: Rear door panel removal.

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Write-up: Rear door panel removal.

Another thread where someone was looking for this information. I guess it's time to post the write-up.

If someone proofs this thread and notices anything that doesn't make sense let me know via PM. It's fairly late, and I've been working on this for about an hour, so there might be some mistakes.

Note 1: This is for the power window model.

Note 2: I did this with the door on and electrically connected. Recommend doing it this way as you will have to adjust the window to the right spot in order to get to the tabs holding in the glass.

Note 3: I actually took the pictures when I was putting it back together. I didn't write anything down, so something might be missing. Take your time and it should be evident what needs to be done at each phase.

Step 1: Remove the two screws on the inside of the door handle with a Phillips screwdriver.

Step 2: Grasp the outer panel at the bottom and gently pull upward. You will hear the clips detach, might sound like something is going to break. I've had the panel off about three times with no issues.

Step 3:
Remove the lower window seal (green arrow) by pulling upward gently. Remove the nut holding the back window portion (red arrow).

Step 4: Remove the hex bolts holding the inner panel to the door. Remove the Phillips screw holding the inner door handle to the inner panel/door. At this time, with the window fully lowered you should be able to carefully rotate the rear glass portion forward starting at the top and then remove it. The seals are tight and will require some force. Be Careful as you will briefly contact the main window.

Step 5: Using a sharp utility knife or comparable, cut out the two oval tabs at the bottom of the inner panel.

Step 6: Release the tabs holding the main window in place. If you get the window in the right position you should have a bit of glass above the door panel to grip onto. If doing this alone you will need one hand at the top of the window to pull up as you release one clip at a time, so the window doesn't drop back down and attach. Remove the window.

The picture here shows the tab location with the window removed. They will be a bit more difficult to see inside the door panel.

Step 7: To remove the inner handle ensure the phillips screw holding it on has been removed. Detach the two cables running to the locking/opening mechanism by removing the rear colored connectors (lower two red arrows) from the snap in section. There is a tab at the rear of the handle holding it on as well (top red arrow) These clips have to be gently pushed toward the center and then pull forward on the inner handle.

Position the inner handle so that you can see the rear of the forward colored pieces (green arrows) You should be able to see how the metal "L" shaped pieces can be rotated out of this section separating the handle from the cables.

Step 8: At this point you can remove the inner panel. First you will have to locate the white foam tape at the rear of the door in the vicinity of the door catch assembly. Remove a section of tape and push in on the two tabs here while pulling on the panel (Refer to the light blue arrows). The window track that runs up the center of the inner panel might catch on the upper and lower portions of the metal door structure. You'll have to pull, wiggle, rotate as necessary to remove the inner panel. Thread the two latching/locking cables through the center hole.

Note: The inner panel will still be connected to the electrical cable going to the inside of the vehicle. If you want to unplug the connector and detach the door strap you can remove the panel fully, or just let it hang as necessary.

Step 9: At this point the door is pretty much field stripped. You can continue to remove the latching mechanism from inside the door by removing the three Torx bolts holding it onto the door assembly. No picture here, but it is easy to see how it works.

Last edited by McKBrew; 07-11-2010 at 12:33 PM..
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
bad1129

This did the trick for me!

Thanks for the info. This worked great and I was done in about 60 minutes.
bad1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Added to the F.A.Q.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up and very detailed. That’s a great addition to the FAQ’s section. Something different, I like it.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

If this forum had a +rep system, I would rep you, but sadly, it does not. All I can offer is a picture of toasting beers
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
If this forum had a +rep system, I would rep you, but sadly, it does not. All I can offer is a picture of toasting beers
Beer is good!
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Differ

Did anyone remove the front door inner panel? It seems that after unclipping the window tabs, securing the glass in the upper position with the sticky tape and removing all possible nuts and bolts from the panel, its' still held by something and doesn't want to come out of the door.
Differ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I'm completely missing the point but why would you do this?
2010 JK Rubicon - Flame Red - 3.5" AEV Premium Suspension Lift w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 17" AEV Savegre Wheels, 35x12.50 r17 BFG KM2's - Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Front Bumper w/ 10,500lb Winch - Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Bumper w/ Swing Out Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder JK Evap Skid Plate - KC Slimlite Long Range
mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this. That panel is screaming for some Raamat!
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Differ View Post
Did anyone remove the front door inner panel? It seems that after unclipping the window tabs, securing the glass in the upper position with the sticky tape and removing all possible nuts and bolts from the panel, its' still held by something and doesn't want to come out of the door.
It's been awhile, but I had the door down to a shell. There are a couple clips in there that you have to break off a little tab to get them to come loose. Can't remember exactly where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
In my case, had to fix a broken door latch on the inside. Might also be good if you wanted to replace your own glass or pop out a dent.
Unread 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just noticed that you remove the window from the door. Is it possible to remove that panel exposing the door skin with the window up and not removing the glass?
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

You could do it without removing the glass, but there is a bar in there that holds the window glass in. It might be easier to get inside the door and do what you need with the entire thing hollowed out.
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Differ

Thank you all guys! I've managed to take it off today with the help of some wrestling experience and some voodoo spells towards the guy who engineered this lovely door panel. It was just a matter of moving it chaotically in different directions. I still can't technically explain how it got off. Just have to move it around until you hear a snap at the bottom.

PS. It mounts back on much easily.
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #14
Differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post

Just to make you curious

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.