wrecked the JK, now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > wrecked the JK, now what?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

wrecked the JK, now what?

So I T-boned a lady in a minivan earlier today, she was trying to cross 2 lanes of traffic and the right lane person stopped to let her through and she darted across all the way and didn't see me coming, so I hit her van doing 30-35mph roughly.

She didn't speak any english and had no insurance, so I'm lucky my insurance is covering it, but I'm now torn about what to do. The idea doesn't sit well with me just having it fixed because I've never seen anyone have great luck with a previously wrecked vehicle.

The wreck destroyed my ARB bumper and IPF lights, cracked my windshield, damaged my grill panel, knocked the entire front end body panels out of alignment (hood gap is no longer symmetrical) I suspect the front has slight frame damage as the bumper no longer lines up the same way on both sides, and the engine vibrates badly now.

I guess my question really is what do I tell my insurance company, or what can I do now if I'm just not comfortable with keeping a potential problem child.

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Auto repair has come a long way, get it fixed, then if you're not happy with it, sell it or trade it. It's easier to wheel a jeep once the newness is "rubbed" off....so it might be a blessing in disguise.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
ncb

That sucks. Sorry to see that. You can't really tell your insurance company what to do. It's either repairable or totaled when it comes to an accident. If you're not comfortable driving it after the repair you can always trade it in.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

That sucks man, but the damage doesn't look too bad. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I highly suggest that you don't drive it at all until it is thoroughly checked out!
John (1222) T-Boned a mountain and came out with similar damages. Three days later, while driving back from getting repair estimates his 2008 JK burst into flames at a stoplight without warning. The nose-dive into a ravine caused the motor to shift back on the mounts and contact the firewall. The cause of the fire was never concluded though the insurance did cover it.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I highly suggest that you don't drive it at all until it is thoroughly checked out!
John (1222) T-Boned a mountain and came out with similar damages. Three days later, while driving back from getting repair estimates his 2008 JK burst into flames at a stoplight without warning. The nose-dive into a ravine caused the motor to shift back on the mounts and contact the firewall. The cause of the fire was never concluded though the insurance did cover it.
Holy ****. Glad he's okay.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveCat View Post
Holy ****. Glad he's okay.
Me too
Here's his story > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...story-1262962/

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Be thankful you did have that are, the damage would be much worse if it was still a stock.. Sorry to hear about it. Hope you get it fixed though, looks like a nice set up

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Your experience was the mirror image of mine. I got t-boned after a lady waved me through so I was at fault in my accident. My frame was bent so they declared it a total loss. The insurance company didn't do much for my $8k in mods on the 2008 but the bluebook was so high I felt blessed. I love my 2012 and like the new work in progress but miss the old girl.

As long as your damage is repairable you'll be fine in the end. Just make sure they take care of everything that was damaged in the accident and it'll be good as new.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Oh man that sucks big time, trust me I know. The only thing I can suggest is to keep on top of everything pertaining to the repairs that will be made to your Jeep if itís not totaled. Be friendly with the insurance adjuster but donít just take his word for everything. Also talk to the repair shop owner/manager to get an itemized list of all repairs needed.

If you donít understand all they are telling you then have them explain until you do. Also make sure that whatever needs replacing that is genuine Chrysler parts, not some cheap china knock-offs. We all wish you luck.

Oh yeah, was anyone hurt; thatís awful fast to hit another vehicle?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

That sucks. Hope her car is totalled and she goes to jail.

I totally know how you feel about the Jeep. Even if it was fixed and there were no problems it's still just not the same. Unfortunately the country has sided with the insurance companies and lets them rape you both before and after an accident. I had somoene run a stop sign and t-bones my civic. Perfectly good car that still have 100,000 left to go and I was forced to have it totalled because that is the way the law works. Even though it was the other guy's fault I still couldn't make them fix it, so I got a whole $5K for it. Like I can go find another car for $5K. Bottom line, if they fix it, you're stuck and now you're screwed even more because if you decide to sell it the wonderful "car fax" will show that accident and reduce it's value even more. But you won't get compensated for that.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have Gieco insurance after I blue booked my jeep and it showed to only be worth $25,000 and I was into it $42,000 I called the insurance company to see if I could get extra insurance on it. Of course they asked why I wanted the extra insurance. I was kinda reluctant to tell him it was modded for fear they would drop me. before I explaned he asked me "Ok what Mods did you add?" it turned out the adjuster had a jeep as well and already knew what I was getting at. So after explaining all the mods and what they cost it raised my rates like $4 extra a month but all my modifications are covered. he also gave me his direct number and told me if I buy any othe sicnifican parts to call him as soon as possible to have them listed and covered.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
That sucks. Hope her car is totalled and she goes to jail.

I totally know how you feel about the Jeep. Even if it was fixed and there were no problems it's still just not the same. Unfortunately the country has sided with the insurance companies and lets them rape you both before and after an accident. I had somoene run a stop sign and t-bones my civic. Perfectly good car that still have 100,000 left to go and I was forced to have it totalled because that is the way the law works. Even though it was the other guy's fault I still couldn't make them fix it, so I got a whole $5K for it. Like I can go find another car for $5K. Bottom line, if they fix it, you're stuck and now you're screwed even more because if you decide to sell it the wonderful "car fax" will show that accident and reduce it's value even more. But you won't get compensated for that.
Thats the problem with this country. They wont goto jail they will only get fined $125 they wont even loose there license I have had the same thing happen to me the system is not fair. I feel they should have to forfit there car and the car should be auctiond to pay for the damages. if the law was that way we would not have these issues with people driving without insurance.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westt View Post
I always tell my wife, if I am hit by an uninsured person and either of my 2 children are hurt, I will take my monetary damages out on their hides. Food for thought, if they are here illegally will anyone miss them or tell the police they are missing?
Depends on where you are. In Maryland, the Governor and other politicians are falling over themselves to allow illegals to get drivers licenses and ID's as well as in-state tuition!

I'm beginning to think they care less for their legal residents!

Back on topic, I'm glad no one was hurt and I hope you are able to get your rig back on the road soon!
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine was totaled worse than that. I fixed it up and 14k miles later and beating on it, no issues
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.