Wrangler unlimited water leak SOLVED!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler unlimited water leak SOLVED!!

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
bill12920
2011 JK Wrangler 

Wrangler unlimited water leak SOLVED!!

Hope this helps some others out there. After months and months of dealing with water leaks every time it rains, many trips to the dealer, new header, new top weatherstripping, etc. etc, to no avail, I took matters into my own hands and solved the problem.

The water (and not a small amount) would always be found dribbling in around the bottom of the door jambs (both front doors). I always found it an odd design feature that the door jamb body metal curved inward without any lip or gutter to turn the water toward the outside. I surmised that, if any water got past the weather stripping somewhere, it could potentially just spill over to the interior so I added water soluble paint along the door jamb and then closed it up and waited for the rain. After the storm passed, I opened the door and saw the trail of water, the path that it followed, etc.

Basically, the weatherstripping doesn't fit tightly against the windshield/body joint and any water that is flowing down from the top can make a turn inward at that point and slide down along the door jamb until it reaches the bottom and then follows the metal that is curved inward and spills out onto the front floor.

The solution is to add a big blob of silicone at the windshield/body joint and then close the door and leave it closed until the silicone dries. It will conform to the shape of the weather stripping and result in a nice, tight seal that prevents the water from running down the length of the door jamb. There have been several BIG rains since installing this fix and the jeep is completely and finally dry.

leak-001.jpg   leak-005.jpg  
bill12920 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
meon2wheels
2011 JK Wrangler 

Always a good feeling when problems get solved. Thanks for sharing. i keep an eye out for shifted seals. Black RTV would hide the fix a little better.
meon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice troubleshooting and fix you did there and thanks for posting it.

Also, to the forum.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
cbene

Jeep Leak Fix

When you put the silicone in and close the door does the door stick shut when it dry's?

I have been battling leaking for the past 4 years with no resolution from Jeep.

Thanks.
cbene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

It looks like he allowed the bead to dry with the door open.

However you CAN make a seal by putting down the silcone then covering it with saran wrap. Close the door to the first click (this will allow the silcone to remain "overfilled" so that when dry and closing all the way there is still pressure being applied to the now dry seal). When its all dry just pull the saran wrap off.
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
jksmith93
2012 JK Wrangler 

I tried this to no avail but I didn't use that much silicone. I'll give it another shot sometime soon. Fingers crossed!
jksmith93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Debest21
2010 JK Wrangler 

Water leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill12920 View Post
Hope this helps some others out there. After months and months of dealing with water leaks every time it rains, many trips to the dealer, new header, new top weatherstripping, etc. etc, to no avail, I took matters into my own hands and solved the problem.

The water (and not a small amount) would always be found dribbling in around the bottom of the door jambs (both front doors). I always found it an odd design feature that the door jamb body metal curved inward without any lip or gutter to turn the water toward the outside. I surmised that, if any water got past the weather stripping somewhere, it could potentially just spill over to the interior so I added water soluble paint along the door jamb and then closed it up and waited for the rain. After the storm passed, I opened the door and saw the trail of water, the path that it followed, etc.

Basically, the weatherstripping doesn't fit tightly against the windshield/body joint and any water that is flowing down from the top can make a turn inward at that point and slide down along the door jamb until it reaches the bottom and then follows the metal that is curved inward and spills out onto the front floor.

The solution is to add a big blob of silicone at the windshield/body joint and then close the door and leave it closed until the silicone dries. It will conform to the shape of the weather stripping and result in a nice, tight seal that prevents the water from running down the length of the door jamb. There have been several BIG rains since installing this fix and the jeep is completely and finally dry.
Thanks for da help
Debest21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Debest21
2010 JK Wrangler 

That means that da water could in da jeep floors
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Debest21
2010 JK Wrangler 

Da water could end in da jeep floors does it because are kind of souk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.