Wrangler Unlimited Suspension Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler Unlimited Suspension Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
airracer99

Wrangler Unlimited Suspension Issue

Around 40mph I get this violent vibration in the steering as if the wheel balance is way off. When I slow down, it stops. Had this issue about 15k miles ago and just did a regular balance & rotation @ Discount Tire. Went away until just recently. Yesterday went back for another balance/rotation. They confirmed a couple of weights were lost on one of the wheels. So rebalanced and rotated. But problem not fixed. Still getting shaking in front wheels and steering wheel.

Any ideas????

airracer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What speeds does it happen at?

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction". --I am not sure who said this but it properly describes our president.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
What speeds does it happen at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by airracer99 View Post
Around 40mph I get this violent vibration in the steering as if the wheel balance is way off.
You're experiencing a classic case of death wobble. There are a ton of threads on this, but the most likely culprit is your trackbar. Make sure it's tight and secured. Make sure the holes the bolts go through to keep it in place haven't bored out and also make sure your mounting brackets haven't snapped off the axle. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check your ball joints, either.

More info on your Jeep would be helpful, too, such as what kind of lift you have and other suspension modifications, if any.

Dealerships and auto shops will tell you to replace your steering stabilizer. This is a waste of time and will not solve your issue.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.