Wrangler Unlimited: Sahara vs. Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler Unlimited: Sahara vs. Sport

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
ATKriebel

Wrangler Unlimited: Sahara vs. Sport

So this will be my first time buying a jeep and I am looking for a little help deciding on which model to purchase.

I love the look of the four door wranglers and I have been trying to decide which model best suits me.

Mainly I will be using the car for transportation, around town, on the highway, but I will also be using the car for back roads, dirt road. I love fishing, hiking, backpacking, camping, snowboarding. So I would love a car that could take me and my gear to anywhere theres a path.

I havent gotten into off roading yet, and to be honest I probably wont be getting into it for a few years, but at some point I would like to take it off roading once I feel like I have gotten comfortable taking a 25k vehicle over rocks. (Im worried about ruining it).

Basically, I loved the idea of the Rubicon having everything I could possibly need, but I know I wont need it yet, and the model is a bit to expensive for me to purchase.

So in reality Im trying to decide between the Sahara and the Sport model.

In the car I would like both full metal and half metal doors, both a soft and hard top, and I really want the sound system that comes standard in the sahara.

What I need help with is first off deciding whether I should just count out the rubi? (Can I upgrade a sport or sahara later to be as good for off roading?)

And then also, which model is better the sahara or sport (if I get the options I want). I dont really care about the painted fender flares on the sahara, and I am not sure whats really special about it other than colors and having some things standard.

ATKriebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
flashpoint83
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well if you want cruise control, power locks and windows go with the sahara. If you want manual stuff, the sport is cheaper. Im sure you can add the extra's to the sport if you wanted later. Personally I have a sahara, and the wife has a sport. There both great fun to drive~
flashpoint83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
nhjku
2010 JK Wrangler 

It is a JEEP, not a car
nhjku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Since you don't care about the painted fender flares, you should go with the Sport. The only other differences that can't be optioned are the 18" wheels, silver interior trim and silver bumper accents. Go online and option out a Sport and compare the price. Then compare that price to a Rubicon. The Rubicon will get you a better front axle, better gear ratio, better transfer case, lockers, electronic disconnects, better shocks and suspension and maybe one or two others that I am forgetting.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
ATKriebel

Thank you for the responses (and word choice corrections, my bad, I guess...).

It sounds like the sport is the best way for me to go. I will take that advice and not get a rubicon (since I will wreck it anyways?). I figure that I can start with a sport option it out, and if I decide to get more into off roading I can upgrade. It seems pointless to drive around with lockers, stronger axles, and better off roading utilities if I will not be putting them to good use. I dont want to offend any more jeep owners.

Any idea why I cant option out a model and have come with both a soft and hard top, and full and half metal doors. It seems like only either soft and half, or hard and full.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Good luck on your choice! Sahara has a lot of 'extras' but there is an X/Sport package that has 17 inch rims 32" tires, power stuff and dual tops just like the sahara... I'm not sure the name of it but the dealer should help you out.

If I were to do it "now" I would get the Rock Mountain Edition or one of the other special editions.... I think they come with the Rubicon wheels and tires and a few extras.

If you are budget minded, get a base Sport and throw the dual top group in on it. Add bigger wheels/tires when you have the money to do so... Just remember the Jeep acronym. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Have fun out there!

09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
ATKriebel

Thank you very much!

And at risk of sounding ignorant again: Whats special about the mountain? Just wheels and paint?
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATKriebel View Post
Thank you very much!

And at risk of sounding ignorant again: Whats special about the mountain? Just wheels and paint?
I'm pretty sure nicer seats, and power stuff too.... but ultimately all the choices are up to you. Def spend a lot of time walking around the dealership checking out colors, options, etc, etc.... I wanted a silver sahara until I went and saw jeep green in person and liked it better.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Seanbmc
2009 JK Wrangler 

I leased a 07 Sahara, then bought an 09 X (sport). I only miss the options that you can get on any model. The high end YES seat material was nicer in my sahara, and my X dosnt have the sub in it. I have cheap seat covers on, but have already decided I need to get some nice wetokle covers.

Get the upgraded speakers/sub if audio is important, I can definitely tell with top down. I had 6 disc infinity+sub in sahara, and now single disc basic system with no sub. Not sure if its the head unit or speakers but its hurting.

I thought I liked the painted sahara fenders until i carried my 5 yr old nephew, and he scratched them up getting in and out. Im very happy with the base model and am upgrading it when I want.

One thing I would do different is get the base model with smaller wheels/tires. I upgraded pretty quick and now have a stack of tires that are worth more to me than craigslist thinks.

Good luck!
Mastercraft Grab Handles, Mopar Slush Mats, Hitch.
Seanbmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

My '08 X (now the Sport) came with virtually every option the Sahara has except the color-matched fenders and chrome accents, none of which I wanted anyways. I got the power windows and locks and the 6-Disc CD/DVD/Sirius with 368-Watt sound plus sub. I'm guessing if you're like me and realizing this will be a daily driver first and a weekend toy second, you just have to decide how important the 'luxury' of your daily driver is to you. I think the Saharas look nice enough but its sometimes a little odd to look at a dressed-up Jeep... it's like putting a tuxedo on a tiger!
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you want both soft and hard tops, you need to choose the dual top option.
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Saharas are a lot faster! I can drop the clutch and get the front tires airborne for about 60-70 yards... And it has painted fenders.

Just sayin
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
Saharas are a lot faster! I can drop the clutch and get the front tires airborne for about 60-70 yards..

Just sayin

. . . . . . . . so how much does your nose grow when you say that

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
VaRaven
2010 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Jakeblue get the upgraded speakers I had the basic system on my 08 and in the 10 the 6-Disc CD/DVD/Sirius with 368-Watt sound plus sub. The difference is like night and day, The sound is so much better and clearer.
VaRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Which ever you decide on (Sahara or Sport) be sure to get the optional 3.73 gears.At $50 bucks you can't go wrong....Really.. J.H. Just Empty Every Pocket..........
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep , rubicon , sahara , sport , unlimited

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.