Wrangler Unlimited CRD Sighting, and pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler Unlimited CRD Sighting, and pics

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #31
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

On a Dr. Z commercial, he hints that a new cleaner deisel is in the works. The one with the dirty Jeeps and the kids. Maybe it's going to be a big surprise

rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #32
newguy66

2008 JK Wrangler 

Dr. Z commercial.

I have seen that same commercial a few times.He also said that the Grand Cherokee and Commander will get Flex-fuel engines for 2007.
newguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #33
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjt36
On a Dr. Z commercial, he hints that a new cleaner deisel is in the works. The one with the dirty Jeeps and the kids. Maybe it's going to be a big surprise
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Dr Z. is talking about the NEW 3.0 CRD WK
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #34
4.0v8eater

Da i told you i ordered on in las vegas there's like 30 of them on the railroad termi

terminal now and infact i see my black one up on top yippy cant wait to get picks for ya.
4.0v8eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #35
famicom21

linky no workey any more

i want to see the pics!
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #36
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

You have EV-DO?
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #37
SAB0602

To be honest, I don't see the big deal with a diesel in a Wrangler. The only advantage would be crawling I guess. Besides, they are horrible for the already crappy environment. Just wouldn't be a practical engine type for a Wrangler. Nothing against diesels but I just feel they are more useful for towing and working, not cruising and trailing. But no offense it is just an opinion. Oh yah, also I just can't see the problem with ethanol (flex-fuel options you were talking about in Commander and GC)... well just a reminder.... it is a high octane fuel that is also well suited for racing (indy is going to use 100% ethanol for '07) and intense off-roading situations (pretty much lots of high performance situations), sorry to say your gasoline engines will be obsolete one day lol. Look at it this way, at the rate we are going with fossil fuel all the Jeeps we drive today will soon be worthless. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that by the time our fearless leader....Bush... leaves the office gas prices will be insane so it would be to our best interest to support "domestic fuel sources". Little off topic lol

2006 TJ
Completely stock (just bought it)

Last edited by SAB0602; 08-16-2006 at 02:20 PM..
SAB0602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #38
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB0602
To be honest, I don't see the big deal with a diesel in a Wrangler. The only advantage would be crawling I guess. Besides, they are horrible for the already crappy environment. Just wouldn't be a practical engine type for a Wrangler. Nothing against diesels but I just feel they are more useful for towing and working, not cruising and trailing. But no offense it is just an opinion. Oh yah, also I just can't see the problem with ethanol (flex-fuel options you were talking about in Commander and GC)... well just a reminder.... it is a high octane fuel that is also well suited for racing (indy is going to use 100% ethanol for '07) and intense off-roading situations (pretty much lots of high performance situations), sorry to say your gasoline engines will be obsolete one day lol. Look at it this way, at the rate we are going with fossil fuel all the Jeeps we drive today will soon be worthless. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that by the time our fearless leader....Bush... leaves the office gas prices will be insane so it would be to our best interest to support "domestic fuel sources". Little off topic lol

Your crazy! A CRD would be a sweet motor for crawling sence it is all torque at LOW RPMS. Plus you can tow more and it gets BETTER MPG'S!!!! If you care about the enviornment don't get ANY Jeep! Get a effing Prius.
Unread 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #39
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How's come the pics don't work anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0v8eater
Da i told you i ordered on in las vegas there's like 30 of them on the railroad termi
terminal now and infact i see my black one up on top yippy cant wait to get picks for ya.
I'm still pretty sure everyone's saying that the CRD's are going out of the country, not to you.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #40
Pottymouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Location: 30 minutes south of Baghdad....oops....I mean Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnep
not an expert. but if its not EPA certified for US it would have to be certified before it could be 'released' from customs or whatever entitiy holds it as you try to bring it back in.

to get EPA certification on a vehicle, a government certified or licensed or whatever entitiy would have to perform the modifications/certifications. Seems like I heard that such companies have to be certified for specific vehicles. In other words you cannot take a CRD jeep to someone who does ferraris if that does not have qualifications for diesel jeeps.

i have been somewhat interested in mercedes smart vehicles. there are a few, perhaps one place in the US currently that performs mods to smarts that makes them OK for US importation. i heard this on a board where someone wanted to bring one in from europe or canada and was tyring to find out how.

btw it is very expensive to go through the process.

finally your best bet, and still really expensive, might be to take a gas jeep and purchase a diesel drivetrain and have a very competent mechanic covert it for you. of course this will cost you mega bucks too. and then you must be aware of what your local smog laws are. do you need to get resmogged once a year? if so, how you gonna do that with a diesel?, temp convert back to gas? or you move to a state/county/city where they don't smog vehicles...

if fuel costs keep up, i expect to see clean diesel vehicles start to pick up in 2008/2009. perhaps an effort to get congress to ease diesel pollution laws would help too. since ultra-low sulfur content diesel will be nationwide by the end of oct, the only thing sticking in the epa craw is the particulate issue...
For the most part, you're dead on.

I am a sales coordinator for a Customs Broker/Freight Forwarder in Detroit. I do not deal with importing engines very often but I do arrange freight for just about everything under the sun. Importing an engine that is not DOT and EPA approved is extremely difficult, expensive, and time consuming. There are TWO, yes only TWO, facilities in the entire U.S. that are certified to modify and install vehicles/engine to bring them up to EPA and DOT standards. As you can imagine, the wait to even have your vehicle/engine modified is very long. On top of that, it is outrageously expensive. The bottom line is can you import a CRD into the states? Yes. Is it going to be easy? Nope, not a chance. A couple examples of horror stories and why we are just going to have to wait until DC sells Wranglers with the CRD.....

We had a client who brought over a rare, older Mercedes from Germany. We advised him that it was going to be next to impossible to import and, should he choose to do so, was going to be very costly. Well, this guy had a sentimental attachment to this Mercedes and chose to bring it in. The car was valued at just over $8,000. He waited a year and two months for it to be upgraded/modified and finally clear Customs. It cost him $20,000 just to have the car modified. That did not include the actual cost of shipping (usually between $3500-$4200), the duty, and our fees for the forwarding and clearance.

In May we had a client import, from China, 50 of those little miniature motorcycles. Naturally, Customs rejected the shipment. This guy felt that if he complained to everyone and their mother at Customs, EPA, and DOT that they would eventually clear his freight just to make him go away. Wrong. Meanwhile, his freight was sitting in our warehouse taking up 8,000 square feet and accumulating quite a bit of storage. Well, at the end of last month, I guess he gave up. He quit calling us, did not return our calls, and did not pay the company a dime. He just abandoned the freight. So, now we are stuck with 50 miniature motorcycles that are taking up 8k sq ft and will probably have to turn the bikes over to Customs to destroy.

Ok, i've gone on long enough, but you get the point
10" Kicker Compvx Subwoofer
350W Kicker Amp
A big back seat for some fun with the lady friends
Pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #41
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB0602

Some more advangages of Diesel, Much better fuel econmy, more power, the ability to run biofuels with little or no modification. I've seen the crd liberty run on 100% biodiesel!! With no modification. And you get the close to the same fuel milage. With ethanal you lose 10-15% fuel economy, and you have to have a vehicle designed to run it!(E85) There is alot more opportunity with diesel engines. Look at volkswagen my 85 diesel got 50mpg!! People need to open up there eyes and see that diesels aren't just chattering smoking engines anymore!!

Oh, by the way I think Dr. Z stole the pictures in this thread!
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2006, 11:34 PM   #42
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H's Jeeps
With ethanal you lose 10-15% fuel economy, and you have to have a vehicle designed to run it!(E85) There is alot more opportunity with diesel engines. Look at volkswagen my 85 diesel got 50mpg!! People need to open up there eyes and see that diesels aren't just chattering smoking engines anymore!!
So true - you see ethanol is a win-win for lobbyists and oil companies. Check out the EPA estimates for these cars : Here

For example a monte carlo gets 21/31 on gas but falls to 16/23 on E85. Even more outrageous is that its is more expensive than gasoline! Hmmm, less MPG = more $ to oil companies. More subsidies to farm lobbyists (corn growers here in the midwest). Not a good deal IMO. It still doest even dent the middle east dependence....

Biodiesel is a win for farmers and the diesel engine gets far, far better MPG- but that means less $ to oil companies - it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out which one -E85 or biodiesel is going to pushed.
zband is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.