Wrangler JK problems, Need info from other JKs with same issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler JK problems, Need info from other JKs with same issues...

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
craigbuist
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wrangler JK problems, Need info from other JKs with same issues...

Iím looking for Other JK owners to comment if any of the below faults you have experienced.

In august 2010 I privately purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, this Vehicle had only travelled some 35,000 km, it was about 1 year old and was in immaculate condition with numerous accessories fitted. This vehicle had from new a manufactures 3 year transferable warranty (Fully transferable from owner to owner up to 3 years)
The vehicle soon developed mechanical, electrical and internal fittings faults that progressed to a serious degree over the following 24 months.
To date experiencing some 25+ repairs needed and over 30 attempts to fix at the local service provider, this totalling in the vicinity of $30,000 in repair costs under warranty.
Thatís around $400 in repairs and servicing for every 70 litre tank of gas or 300kms.
The warranty provider along with the local service provider has to date been unable to rectify most of the repetitive ongoing serious faults over this time with up to 15 attempts to repair a mechanical sway bar fault and multiple warning lights.
Repair attempts and workmanship has been extremely shoddy and has consisted of mainly guesswork that has clearly corrupted the vehicles reliability and usage along endangered safety of the vehicle occupants when the front crossbar / draglink bar was not bolted up after a diff housing replacement.
Due to the above issues I made multiple attempts over several months via phone calls, emails and visits to the local agents in Dunedin to try to rectify the situation. After no satisfaction I decided I needed out of ownership of this vehicle and could not morally sell this problem and needed the warranty provider to take responsibility.
The more noise I made the faster the agents and Jeep ran and hid.
I am taking Legal action against jeep here in NZ for several aspects towards cost and compensation.
I am told by Jeep that other jeeps donít have these issues and believe that their defence is going to be to state my issues are because I abuse my vehicle, my Wrangler is around 97% tarmac 3% light/moderate off road use and is in no way thrashed or abused.
It only takes a Google search to see that I'm not alone but need responces to this post to show these faults are wide spread with other owners.

Provided here is a brief shortlist of faults experienced...as below.
Please comment if you have had any issues related to my issue list below as to show its not just mine....

3X axel U joint breakages or failures,
Diff locker issues,
Track bar / Crossbar / panhard bolts,
15+ sway bar warning light accuracies,
1X complete sway bar with motor replacement,
1x swaybar motor replacement.
1x swaybar wiring loom replacement.
Rear axle replaced.
Engine HT leads, Took 9 weeks to get, lol.
Auto Transmission Hot Oil Warning light.
Auto Transmission delay to drive,
Auto Transmission odd gear changing and revs.
Multiple warning light issues. Bas/esp,
Multiple warning light issues. Airbag.
Multiple warning light issues. ABS.
Multiple warning light issues. Break warning.
Multiple warning light issues. Battery light.
Multiple warning light issues Electrical (Z) light
Or all warnings going mad with tachometer bouncing with audible chiming.
Power steering broke main pump shaft.
Radiator electric cooling fan replaced.
Head rest auto fold system repaired 4X.
Shift leaver coming apart.
Clunk in hood lining.
Main axel housing replaced.
Belt idler and tensioner replaced.
Rear door hinges replacer..
Front Axel seals leaking
Replace clockspring ? $744 worth (jeep recall)
Break hose replaced.
Steering damper replaced
Transmission hose kit replaced
Axel locker sensor replaced.
Vehicle K13 recall???
Wiring broke at Alternator plug,
Vehicle Starts but wonít rev over 1500 rpm.
Fuel spits back from tank when filling.
This list is the last 2 years of my Wranglers life. $30,000 worth, thatís Ĺ of its new cost here in NZ.
Please comment if any of the above sounds like your Wrangler, feel free to add extra problems experienced.

If itís not related to my issues pleases Direct Email to me at jeepwrangler@consultant.com otherwise please respond via this post with any issues listed above you also have experianced.
The idea is to show other Wranglers have the same issues and itís not related to vehicle abuse. These vehicles are promoted as "the Toughest 4X4 ever"

As long as itís a 2005-2012 Wrangler with any of the same issues, it doesnít matter where in the world you are please respond.
Will let you all know my outcome with Jeep and the my case.
Thanks Craig in NZ

craigbuist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

Never had a problem with mine.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Most importantly, did you check the nut between the seat and the wheel? lol, j/k.

Quick look at your extensive list, I recognize many reoccurring problems, though most I'd just tweak/fix myself. Each to their own! Hope you find a resolution to all your problems.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
pbuchanan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow. I don't know what is wrong with your Jeep but I have not even had close to that and I ride mine pretty hard offroad.

Of the issues I've had, power steering leak, snapped the serpentine belt, front lockers won't engage, lost my EVAP canister (latest) almost all of those can be attributed to off-road damage.

Sorry that doesn't help much...
pbuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Can't say for outside of the US but check your local laws for any type of lemon laws.I know here since you bought it used your SOL and either live with it or sell it as is since there is no lemon laws for used vehicles.Depending on your local lwas your most likely SOL since you bought used.
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Jeep sure as hell shouldn't take it back or pay you out for it, you are the second owner who bought it modified and private party.

Where do you think Jeep's responsibility in this matter begins?

Did the full service history you looked at before purchasing or the thorough inspection you had completed before purchase reveal any issues?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
craigbuist
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Jeep sure as hell shouldn't take it back or pay you out for it, you are the second owner who bought it modified and private party.

Where do you think Jeep's responsibility in this matter begins?

Did the full service history you looked at before purchasing or the thorough inspection you had completed before purchase reveal any issues?

Some issues with first owner, but just got worse and worse with use.
The retailer of the vehicle does not come into the picture just Jeep themselves under the warranty. they have taken responsibility for its issues till now!
What would you do if it was yours? these warranties are transferable for multiple owners for 3 years and no alterations of the vehicle effect any of its issues.. why do I get the impression you work for Jeep lol....
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Warranty is to repair the things covered under the warranty, it is not for returning the vehicle when you get tired of it.

What exactly is the basis of your claim? I assume that you are filing suit using the Consumer Guarantees Act as your basis?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbuist View Post
Some issues with first owner, but just got worse and worse with use.
The retailer of the vehicle does not come into the picture just Jeep themselves under the warranty. they have taken responsibility for its issues till now!
What would you do if it was yours? these warranties are transferable for multiple owners for 3 years and no alterations of the vehicle effect any of its issues.. why do I get the impression you work for Jeep lol....
Actually if the problems started with the 1st owner you need to deal with them for resolution.You got passed a lemon(hey it happens to all auto makers),Chrysler will stop a warranty process when it hit's a certian dollar amount and since your not the original owner your SOL after that and have to focus on the original owner.
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbuist View Post
Or all warnings going mad with tachometer bouncing with audible chiming.

Fuel spits back from tank when filling.

Thanks Craig in NZ
As for the fuel spitting back, I think there was some kind of recall for that.

All warning lights going mad and tach bouncing and chiming,---- I have this problem on my '04 WJ. I have troubleshot it to some extent and have not come up with a cure. I think it is one of the computers and I am not going to put that kind of money into it as it has 316,586 miles on it and is 8 years old, so I am parting it out.

Good luck.

Here are some links to some TSB's, but not for the 2009. Don't know if they will help.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm\

Here is a report from NHTSA on 2009 fuel spill complaints.----http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Wow! That is an incredibly strange mix of both electrical and mechanical faults. Sounds like the dreaded "Monday-built" jeep, abandoned on Friday nite when they shut the line down, and resumed in mid-build the following week by an entirely different crew who had no idea where the last gang left off.

Good luck.
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Spanky916
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ummm that's a whole bunch of check this and that lights. I'm not an expert but they all seem to have one thing in common to me....the computer that is seeing the problems. Could that possibly be the only problem and it's just saying there are issues with all the other stuff and nothing really is wrong? Well for most of it anyway.
Spanky916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
craigbuist
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Warranty is to repair the things covered under the warranty, it is not for returning the vehicle when you get tired of it.

What exactly is the basis of your claim? I assume that you are filing suit using the Consumer Guarantees Act as your basis?

Consumer Guarantees Act is only good if i paid a retailer. I'm selling the vehicle at auction being honest with its issues and claiming the loss incurred from what it should be worth. proffer it if they took it off me so I'm not responsible for passing the problem on. and No I'm not just tired of it, just tired of its issues, its a Friday night production line special. and Jeep should have the balls to sort it and not hide. $15k pr year maintenance bill.... how long would it take you to be passed it?
Appearance and capabilities wise its fantastic, I love it and would keep it.
Google search 2009 wrangler problems and you will see most of my issues listed.
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #14
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

You CANNOT lemon law a used car. Believe me, I have tried! I had a car once with MULTIPLE engine rebuilds "under warranty" and was in the shop for over 8 months....there was no action I could take, so I sold it to some poor guy on Ebay who never asked any questions about its history - buyer beware

I would NEVER buy a used Jeep that is heavily modded for off-road use...come on...common sense people. This is like buying a supped up mustang from a teenage who is advertising it was "never driven hard and highway, sunny day mileage only"...lol...sure.

The only used cars I consider buying nowadays are from rich older guys who have like 10+ cars and you can tell they are just rotating them and never really drive them.
GeckoFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

Having spent some years in the car business I've periodically run into people with problems like yours. And the brand doesn't seem to matter--even cars renowned for reliability like Toyota and Honda can be effected. I'm not saying this is you, but there is a very definite pattern to this syndrome. Everyone I've ever run into who's had this problem has had three common characteristics--they don't know much about cars, they have more money than sense and they are more "book smart" than "street smart." Again I'm not saying this is you, but that's been my experience. I think in most cases these people are the victims of dishonest/incompetent (which tends to go together) mechanics who actually sabotage cars (which is surprisingly easy). Once they get their hooks into them they just have one problem after another, problems that no one else seems to have. I have no way of knowing if this is what's going on with you but it just seems suspicious you'd have this many problems with one vehicle and they're all problems no one else seems to have. I guess the question is if you've been going to the same mechanic/dealer for all of this?
MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.