Which Wrangler to buy? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Wrangler to buy?

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #16
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

The 07's didn't have a removable tray in the center console. They didn't put mirrors in the visors until 10. The new visors are $120.

Rubicon or not?:

The first benefit the Rubicon has over other models are the 4.10 gears. This lower gear ratio (inside the deferential) allows for bigger tires with less need for regearing and also provides a better gear ratio for trail driving with stock Rubicon tires. Some Jeepers will argue that you need to regear, even with 4.10, gears once you get to 35 inch tires. It is recommended that you get your tires and THEN decide if you want to regear.

Another difference between the Rubicon and the other models is the 4:1 transfer case. For sand the 4:1 transfer case is not needed but it is no disadvantage either. Bogging in soft sand with the and then needing to downshift can contribute to getting stuck, the 4:1 transfer case will keep the revs up. Arguably this could also be accomplished by selecting and staying in a lower gear with the 2.72:1transfer case (that is the transfer case found on other Jeep models). The 4:1 transfer case probably provides the biggest benefit when climbing steep inclines and traversing obstacles, especially in a six speed. The torque is so high the vehicle is virtually impossible to stall.

Another benefit of the Rubicon is the front D44 front axle. This axle is the same axle found on the rear of the Rubicon and the rear of other Jeeps (other Jeeps have a Dana 30 in the front). The Dana 44 axle provides more strength when torque is applied to the wheels (i.e. hard acceleration in deep mud or snow) and when Jeeper decides to put on larger tires which, in turn, will amplify the amount of stress applied to the axle when torque is applied, especially when the lockers are applied.

The lockers are the most expensive and perhaps best feature of the Rubicon. I will explain what lockers do; If you were to take a regular four wheel drive vehicle (which has open differentials) and get it stuck with one side of the vehicle in deep snow and ice, and the other side on blacktop and try to accelerate, the wheels in the snow and ice would spin and the vehicle would remain stuck. When you turn on the lockers, (essentially eliminating the differential and locking both sides of the axle together) the torque will be forced to all four wheels providing torque to the wheels on the blacktop which would free the vehicle. So, a four wheel drive vehicle without lockers is really two wheel drive because the wheel with LESS traction on each axle will spin until the locker is applied.

Other Jeep models have “Brake Lock Differential” (BDL) which is a kind of locker substitute. It works by applying the brake to the spinning wheel to force torque, through the differential, to the wheel with traction. This IS NOT the same as a locker. Over time the brakes will over heat. Additionally, BDL is reactionary. There has to be wheel spin for it to activate. By then you’re already behind the traction curve. I am going to end the BDL discussion there. If you’re reading this and want more discussion on BDL post a thread and we can discuss it.

The next feature that will be discussed is the electronic sway bar disconnect. Having a sway bar disconnect allows for more travel of the axle when the vehicle is in situations where the ground is uneven. This is called “articulation”. Sway bar disconnects can be added later but they will be manual disconnects which can be difficult to work with and are generally inconvenient . The convenience of electronic sway bar disconnects can be compared to in cab four wheel drive engagement. In the past one had to get out and lock the hubs to get four wheel drive, that is unthinkable in this era of 4X4. It can be said now that “in the past one had to get out to disconnect the sway bar”. It’s a great feature.

Another feature of the Rubicon is the larger tires. The larger tire gets your differential off the ground. While a larger lift gets your body higher off the ground, there is only one way to raise the axles and differentials, and that is a larger tire.

Finally, the Rubicon has rock rails that protect the lower body near the doors. They provide side and undercarriage protection in that region. They are one of the most important off road additions since it pretty easy to damage that part of the body if you come down on an obstacle or turn too tight near an obstacle.

Hopefully this write up has helped you decide if the Rubicon is right for you!

Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
Buy the newest X/Sport you can afford. For beach driving, a Rubicon will be a waste of money.
Is buying a Lamborghini Murcielago a waste for everything other than track driving?
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Is buying a Lamborghini Murcielago a waste for everything other than track driving?
Its kind of a waste on every level possible lol.

You could turn a rubicon into an actual monster truck and still have 300000 to play with for that cash.

Side note- not to thread steal but is it a waste to look into the rubicon if I will rarely go wheeling? ( I have never been before but wanna get into it) I just want big tires and lift cuz its what I like.
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
Its kind of a waste on every level possible lol.

You could turn a rubicon into an actual monster truck and still have 300000 to play with for that cash.

Side note- not to thread steal but is it a waste to look into the rubicon if I will rarely go wheeling? ( I have never been before but wanna get into it) I just want big tires and lift cuz its what I like.
No, the sticker (you know what I mean) alone ensures an easier re-sale, and if I've ever read a forum post, there are constantly guys who wish they would have just done the damn thing because they found a trail by accident and are instantly hooked on wheeling and are stuck with a non-Rubicon. If you know 100% that you'll never get into wheeling then, well, you're probably wrong :-)

It's a money thing too. Those things aren't cheap, if your children will go unfed for months while you put money together then you have to make that call, but, if you have the means, then by all means.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
Green98TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

When I bought my 2010 I could have got a Rubi it was the same money as my Mountain edition but had no power options and was a straight drive I had to think about how I use my daily driver and how much I would be off roading and decided I would use the power options and much rather have the auto for my city stop and go driving than the Rubi's off road capabilities not saying you can't get a Rubi with all the bells and whistles but it will cost ya.

Quote:
But you wouldn't use a Bazooka dove hunting....or maybe you would. LOL
Green98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green98TJ View Post
But you wouldn't use a Bazooka dove hunting....or maybe you would. LOL
OH, I would!
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
OH, I would!
2nd.

Are all rubis manual?

I work in new york city...
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
Green98TJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
2nd.

Are all rubis manual?

No, You can get a Auto.
Green98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Friend, you need a $500 Honda to drive to work in.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #25
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Friend, you need a $500 Honda to drive to work in.
bite your tongue!

I have a private parking lot. She will be safe.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #26
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
bite your tongue!

I have a private parking lot. She will be safe.
I read an article once that people would have their oil changed at Jiffy Lube or similar everyday rather than pay for parking in NYC. It was cheaper just to let it sit at the oil change place all day than pay for parking.

I've been to NYC and I can't imagine driving a my GIGANTIC Jeep there.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I read an article once that people would have their oil changed at Jiffy Lube or similar everyday rather than pay for parking in NYC. It was cheaper just to let it sit at the oil change place all day than pay for parking.

I work for FDNY we have a nice private barbed wire fenced lot at the station.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Hahaha, hadn't heard that one!

Good write-up on the Rubi Mike
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #29
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Hahaha, hadn't heard that one!

Good write-up on the Rubi Mike
Thanks!
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

yeah, whatever... If you plan on taking an X, Sport or Sahara in the gravel, dirt or even grass 4 inches high it will get stuck & explode because it was clearly not inteded for off road use. Duh, that's simple. We all know that the rubicon is an actual off road vehicle and those of us non-rubi owners are all mall crawlers, dating our sisters and have a 9th grade education, yeah, yep. that's right!

I had to call my neighbor girl who owns a rubi (which has NEVER seen dirt) to get me out of this bind (note the back tire is in 3" of gravel) :

then, I got stuck trying to climb this hill, jumped out, flagged a rubicon owner & he towed me to safety!

okay, thick with sarcasm over
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.