Wrangler Battery problems!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wrangler Battery problems!!!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits 2010-14 Jeep Wrangler Island Topper Black Rugged Ridge 1352007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
kendog21

Wrangler Battery problems!!!

Hi guys,

I recently (March 2011) bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler with only 45000 kms on the clock.

I went away for 2 weeks, came back and the battery was dead... I jumped started it drove around for a week...All good!

A week later I start the engine, the engine started to turn over as per usual but just before the engine began running it cut out and the fuse box started making funny rattling sounds... it's now completely dead, it doesn't even make the tick sound as if the battery has a little power...

Is this my battery? I guess it is as not even the light on the dash are turning on when I turn the key in the ignition...

But the car is only 3 years old? should I already need to replace the battery... is this an isolated incidence or generally do Jeep wrangler batteries last around three years...?

Furthermore, its a closed cell battery so its not like one could not have maintained the battery well? Spoke to the previous owner and she said she had never had problems with it...

Oh this could have been an important point: about 2 weeks before I left to go overseas I had drive around with a hole in top boost pipe (pipe flowing from turbo to engine = very little power when driving but had it fixed and everything was fine) would this have had an affect on battery???

Will be greatful to anyone that has insights on this?!

Thanks

kendog21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

You should jumpstart it and get a multitester. Then measure the amount of volts on the battery. If you read >13, your alternator is fine and probably the battery is dead. If you read <13, your alternator doesn't charge the battery and is probably broken.
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

If its the original factory battery, more than likely its the battery. The average lifespan has been 3 to 4 years on them and when they die it causes all sorts of wierd things to happen.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

First, to the forum. Sounds like bad battery to me. It’s doing everything that batteries do when they’re going bad.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Place a Amp meter in line with the positive terminal. Read the draw on the battery at full rest. 100-200ma is about the norm to keep things going like a clock, radio memories and the main cpu. More? You may have something drawing power that you don't know about. A OEM battery should last 3-4 years. I got 3 years 8 months out of mine. I replaced it with a Costco Battery. Been fine since.
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
kik

You actually did pretty good with that battery. Time to get a new one.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
kendog21

Thanks a lot guys...this is a massive help!! using a battery pack today to do the necessary...

Will let you know the outcome..

Regards!!
kendog21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Place a Amp meter in line with the positive terminal. Read the draw on the battery at full rest. 100-200ma is about the norm to keep things going like a clock, radio memories and the main cpu. More? You may have something drawing power that you don't know about. A OEM battery should last 3-4 years. I got 3 years 8 months out of mine. I replaced it with a Costco Battery. Been fine since.

Good idea too. I want to highlight that it's very important to place the ampmeter IN LINE with the terminal. Otherwise you will blow up your multitester.
The volt meter should be parallel over positive and negative. The amp meter inline with positive.
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine lasted 18 months. You mentioned something about a turbo?
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Mine lasted 18 months. You mentioned something about a turbo?
Cape Town is in South Africa. They probably have a Diesel
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
gil1911jk
2008 JK Wrangler 

my battery die with 15.000 on it. i have a 2008 wangler sahara original factory battery,only good for two years wierd things to happen before it die all the way.i got a autozone 800 cc battery and it runs great now
gil1911jk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
jacquespienaar
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a Diesel JK and I'm on my 3rd battery with 74 000km's on the clock. Luckily the motorplan has replaced them for me. Was wondering if I could rather put in a deep cycle if it goes again out of motorplan?

2008 Rescue Green 2.8CRD 4 Unlimited
Rescue Green Jeep Club Member #69
jacquespienaar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquespienaar View Post
I have a Diesel JK and I'm on my 3rd battery with 74 000km's on the clock. Luckily the motorplan has replaced them for me. Was wondering if I could rather put in a deep cycle if it goes again out of motorplan?
Some deep cycle batteries are good for starting too; check with the manufacterer.
Do you have Optimas there? A Yellowtop is both deep cycle and starter.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hilldweller, you need to be getting some kind of compensation from Optima.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Dunefox

A lifetime of 2 to 4 years is normal for a battery, in very hot and very cold climate on the lower side. The tips on measuring the voltage and the current are good. Make sure also that the terminals are not loose.
Dunefox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.