Would You LOCK it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Would You LOCK it?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 01-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Would You LOCK it?

Little background

I drive an 08 JK X. It currently has about 131k miles on it. It is my DD to work and play. I live in Florida and drive on the beach frequently and pull my Hobie Cat Sailboat on the beach during the summer. I do a LOT more driving on the road than I do off road, but having the ability to go off the beaten path has led me to my 3rd Jeep Wrangler (this one).

I am about to re-gear it to 4.88 since I just upgraded to 35" Trail Grapplers and Aluminum wheels.

It drives like a dog, and not a scolded one at that, which is why I am going to re-gear it. I was thinking of throwing an autolocker (aussie preferably?) since I'll have the axle apart anyways and can get one for about $250.

This would just be for that extra assurance that I would have a better chance to not be stranded for 3 hours waiting for help to arrive because the two wheels on the ground were not spinning.. (lesson learned not to wheel alone or without my hi-lift jack to winch me out if I needed it..)

But, My question is, would you go ahead and throw a locker in it if you could afford it while its apart with the type of driving I do?

JKU
omgyesihavethos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yes, if you can swing for a full case I rather do that, but upfront I have 0 beef with auto lockers. Personally I plan on putting in a lokka (same thing as aussie, just made in australia and is cheaper even with it shipped to the US).

http://lokka.com/site/
Unread 01-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
lokka (same thing as aussie, just made in australia and is cheaper even with it shipped to the US).

http://lokka.com/site/
just looked at LOKKA. This is Aussie. They say they are the same company.
JKU
Unread 01-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1422736820931.jpg  
Unread 01-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
This is all I was saying..

forumrunner_20150131_155439.png

I liked Aussie to begin with. I kind of wanted the ability to have a selectable locker, but I don't feel like throwing another grand at it for ad little as it will prob be used
JKU
Unread 01-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Bear9494
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you are thinking about it then you should add the locker while it's opened up for the gears. You will get lots of opinions on here of what locker to add and why. But in the end do your homework and choose what you want. But sounds like a definite yes that you should do it.
Bear9494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Hudson3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do yourself a favor and search True Trac.
For what you describe as vehicle use, I think you may be more satisfied with a torsion diff than a locker. "I personally" do not like auto-lockers in daily driving circumstances. I ran True Trac's for many years (well over 10) on my XJ that was daily driver w/e trail rig/rock crawler. For heavy rock crawling lockers would have been a better choice (my Rubi has the factory selectable lockers, if in your budget the way to go), for everything else the True Tracs were the cats meow.
One thing to keep in mind when adding traction aids is this;
While they will help you from getting stuck in some situations, they most certainly ensure when you do get stuck, you are mired in pretty darn good.
Unread 02-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
JLH
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was just getting ready to suggest the Detroit Truetrac too. Just like Hudson wrote, traction aids don't guarantee you won't get stuck, but they will guarantee you'll get stuck further in. You might also want to consider a winch and a Pull-Pal. When you don't have a tree available as a tie point, a Pull-Pal is an invaluable tool.
Unread 02-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
rich6700

Buy the true trac locker. You may need to buy a carrier anyway depending on your currant gear ratio.
rich6700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #10
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I put a lock right in my rear when I did the gears . its an auto locker like the Aussie. So glad I did. It works flawlessly and has taking my jeep up to the next level. You don't have to be a hard core wheeler to enjoy it. Even in two wheel it has made a big difference. If you opening it up already might as well toss one in.
Unread 02-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've been running a front aussie locker for about 2 years now, did the installation myself. I locked the front because when I'm on pavement I didn't want to worry about the tires jumping during turns under power. Some people take issue with locking a D30, but a D30 won't grenade if you're driving on the beach. I off road about 5-6 times a year, and it's really increased my Jeeps capabilities.

That said- with properly aired down 35's I don't really see a JK getting stuck on the beach. Hell, I went on the beach all the time with the stock tires. If you air down to 10 PSI, you're not going to have a problem. I don't think it's necessary. Toss a jack board in the back and take a tire pressure gauge with you and you'll be ready in case you DO actually get stuck. Then go spend your 250 elsewhere.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
omgyesihavethos
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybomber View Post
with properly aired down 35's I don't really see a JK getting stuck on the beach. Hell, I went on the beach all the time with the stock tires. If you air down to 10 PSI, you're not going to have a problem.
I'm usually pulling my boat on the beach is what I was worried about
JKU
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Even pulling your boat, you should be ok with aired down tires. But for peace of mind, if you want to lock it, go ahead. Given that this jeep likely spends over 90% of its time on the road, I wouldn't advise putting an auto locker in the rear. It will change your jeep's handling characteristics when turning under power.

I locked my front myself, and I have no regrets. I used a spartan locker, and it's been working beautifully since install.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dana 44 , jk , locker , question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.