Would 35" Tires & Bushwacker Flat Flares rub w/o a lift? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Would 35" Tires & Bushwacker Flat Flares rub w/o a lift?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Reply
Unread 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish
 
Mol's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
Double Necro-ed! This thread was born.... died for a year... revived.... dead for a year.... and revived again.

Impressive fellas!
my thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfrazier View Post
I have found that 35"s and flatts will rub but only on off road use. For me I will be OK 99% of the time. Have decided to go with 4" procomp lift. A lift is not that expensive and never have to worry about how hard I hit a trail. I spent $2,000. You can put in Bump stops and not lift it but you will loose travel. Thanks for all the advice...
Man have you got something coming to you

Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
Phimosis
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 38
Re-revived is not bad. This is just the info I was looking for after getting my first Jeep just a week ago. Seems like the attitude here is very "pro-lift." Over at JK-forum.com, they seem more cautious about lift with lots of people reporting denied warranty claims because of lift. To be honest, if 35's fit without lift and without extended bump stops (many reports of levelling kit and flat flares with no rub at full flex with 4.0" or less backspace), why spend $2,000 on an item that will void your warranty? Maybe after the warranty period is out, but for now, I don't see the benefit of making a top heavy jeep that wants to roll over on or off-road. If you have the JKU and need the additional breakover angle, that's different. But, I have the 2 door and every obstacle that has been unpassable for me has been because of minimum ground clearance, not breakover angle.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #33
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish
 
Mol's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis
Re-revived is not bad. This is just the info I was looking for after getting my first Jeep just a week ago. Seems like the attitude here is very "pro-lift." Over at JK-forum.com, they seem more cautious about lift with lots of people reporting denied warranty claims because of lift. To be honest, if 35's fit without lift and without extended bump stops (many reports of levelling kit and flat flares with no rub at full flex with 4.0" or less backspace), why spend $2,000 on an item that will void your warranty? Maybe after the warranty period is out, but for now, I don't see the benefit of making a top heavy jeep that wants to roll over on or off-road. If you have the JKU and need the additional breakover angle, that's different. But, I have the 2 door and every obstacle that has been unpassable for me has been because of minimum ground clearance, not breakover angle.
Holy ****, my world just turned upside down...


Somebody buy this guy a membership...he used search instead of another "will it fit" thread...
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #34
Dsx
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 71
I run KM2 35's without a lift... for now. 4.75" backspacing on the wheels, factory fenders chopped and air dam removed. I made a make shift adjustment to the factory bump stops as a precaution, but I have zero rubbing at full flex.

Just a reference for the next time this is pulled up in 2012.
Dsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
JKashat
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: , Michigan
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsx View Post
Just a reference for the next time this is pulled up in 2012.
I never thought that my (newbie at the time) thread question would still be active after all this time. I have since changed the setup but it worked for me except that those 325/60/20 (KM2's) rubbed on the bumper so bad, I removed it until I installed a 2.5" TF Spring Lift, which I hated, and then (a week later) got the AEV 3.5" Premium lift and have enjoyed Jeep bliss, lol.
JKashat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #36
goldenglory18
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 814
FWIW, I've been running my 35" goodyears (a TRUE 35" tire) on my stock suspension for about a week now and I've had very little rubbing. I trimmed the pinch seam, air dam, and removed the rear fender liners. The only thing it hits now is the most inner corner of the front bumper at full turn WHILE MOVING. At stand still or slow crawl, no issue.

I won't take it off road until I lift it, but it is possible to live with, if you drive carefully.
__________________
Planned: Stubby bumper, rear carrier, ACE fenders and rails.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #37
gt4660
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 167
I cut my factory fenders and running a 1 3/4 leveling kit with longer shocks. I can stuff my front and rear tires and make them rub. No issues on the front but the rear cuts the tires on the upper lip of the fender well. I have trimmed the pinch seam and some of the lip with a BFH, only fix for mine is bump stop extensions.
__________________
08 2dr Rubicon
79 CJ 7 258, T150, dana 20
gt4660 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #38
sickboy357
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 64
Quote:
Holy ****, my world just turned upside down...


Somebody buy this guy a membership...he used search instead of another "will it fit" thread...
That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!
sickboy357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
Phimosis
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
FWIW, I've been running my 35" goodyears (a TRUE 35" tire) on my stock suspension for about a week now and I've had very little rubbing. I trimmed the pinch seam, air dam, and removed the rear fender liners. The only thing it hits now is the most inner corner of the front bumper at full turn WHILE MOVING. At stand still or slow crawl, no issue.

I won't take it off road until I lift it, but it is possible to live with, if you drive carefully.
What do you mean a true 35" tire? I haven't seen any tires that are marketed as 35's that don't measure 35" unladen, at max pressure, which is how they are rated.

Even so, if you have a bias ply tire that takes 30 psi and has lots of sidewall flex and only measures 34" when laden, it will still measure 17.5" from center of wheel to top of tire, because only the lower half of the tire is being loaded with the vehicle weight and being deformed. The bias ply tire will still need the same amount of fender clearance as a stiff tire like the kevlar sidewalled MTR That handles 50 psi will measure 34.8 laden, but it still measures 17.5" from center to top of tire. It just has less flex on the bottom end, which makes for good tire life, gas mileage and on road manners, at the expense of grip. That's why all of the competition tires are bias ply and aren't favored for daily drivers.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
Phimosis
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4660 View Post
I cut my factory fenders and running a 1 3/4 leveling kit with longer shocks. I can stuff my front and rear tires and make them rub. No issues on the front but the rear cuts the tires on the upper lip of the fender well. I have trimmed the pinch seam and some of the lip with a BFH, only fix for mine is bump stop extensions.
Now that I have run it on a lot of trails, I see that I have the same issue. Whats the favored bump stop material, hockey pucks?
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #41
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.
 
CrawlingForward's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brazoria, Texas
Posts: 2,322
2013 Bump!

Finally may have convinced the wife to go up to 35s on hers, now that she has a short commute.

All you guys saying 35s with flat fenders are fine, I'm assuming you have aftermarket wheels? I like the stock 17s, and would prefer to keep them if possible without adding wheel-spacers, but I assume that's unrealistic.
__________________
My Other Jeep Is A Jeep - Crawlingforward's Jeep-Related Adventures

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
Dumpsterfish
Senior Member
 
Dumpsterfish's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 761
Damn. That's like 4 reanimations. Great ZWIRT (zombie will it rub thread)
__________________
'01 TJ...stock
'89 YJ...SOLD
'95 YJ...SOLD
'13 JKUS...SOLD
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
Filthy-Beast
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
2013 Bump!

Finally may have convinced the wife to go up to 35s on hers, now that she has a short commute.

All you guys saying 35s with flat fenders are fine, I'm assuming you have aftermarket wheels? I like the stock 17s, and would prefer to keep them if possible without adding wheel-spacers, but I assume that's unrealistic.
Yes you'll need spacers with the stock wheels. the 35" tires are wider and taller. Both cause them to make contact sooner when turning. you'll probably also need to trim the pinch seam.
__________________
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/beast-2-build-13-jkur-1460311/"]13 JKUR Build thread[/URL][/B]

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #44
Heath
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 2,640
Revived again. I'm about to try BW flares, 2.5" Metalcloak 2 door springs on a 4 door, with 35s and see what needs to be done to make it work off-road.
__________________
2013 JKU Rubicon
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #45
mikek3
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
Revived again. I'm about to try BW flares, 2.5" Metalcloak 2 door springs on a 4 door, with 35s and see what needs to be done to make it work off-road.
That should be about perfect! I run cut stock fenders, 35s, with a 2.5'' OME (came out to more like 3'' tbh) and here's me doing some flexing:



mikek3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.