Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Is worth it to have hi lift jack 48 or 60??

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
How many time did u use it on trail. Of course can be used around the farm tooo multi situation some will say safe and not safe adding weight to jeep only is as decor of item let see ur opinions and idea. Vote plz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Like a winch and all other recovery gear, you only wish you had it when you need it. Then its probably hundreds of miles away.

Why rely on others "just in case" when you can be SURE you can get out of a problem situation? I say being prepared means situations remain controlled and manageable. Skip out on things and a simple flat can leave you stranded for days.

I guess it all depends on where you wheel or camp or explore, and how remote it is.

#4 ·
I have one, a 48" one.

I bought mine for another project, once that project was done, it went on the Jeep. If I was buying one for the Jeep, I would have gone with a 60" one.

It's probably one of the most dangerous recovery tools out there but when needed, it's invaluable.

Best to mount it inside the Jeep where it's protected. If it goes outside, get a rubber boot to protect the mech. Hi-Lift makes a new roll bar mount for the JK which I highly recommend.

#5 ·
Hardly use these compared to how much the others things i pack need more regularly. But we are sure to have at least one in a group if not way to many. like last time i lead large groups in a event say 25+ jeeps, do you need 25? Kinda like that old joke; the lady walks in to a bar and asks for a light. 20 guys light a match. Dang near burned the place down.....

I can say it was maybe 3 season back when we used one as parts to a tie rod fix. We wheeling nothing but harder trails.

#6 ·
I can say it was maybe 3 season back when we used one as parts to a tie rod fix.
Like I said, when you need one, you need one. >:)

We usually have a couple spaced out in our group. I think we have used them twice. Once for a quick trailside tire change and once on the beach to get someone out or a deep sand rut. Jacked them up and pushed the Jeep over.

Probably not the recommended use but the cut was narrow and he was the lead Jeep. Lesson learned, really check that 4WD works before heading out. The vacuum line broke on his front actuator. :frown2:

#8 ·
No, no one has a XJack.

It's a sound idea. I have extensive experience with air bags through my fire service, I know that they work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.