Won't take gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Won't take gas

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Won't take gas

Any one ever hear of a 2010 not taking gas? I pull up to the pump and when i fill it up it get about a gallon in and it cuts the pump off, tried it at several pumps and sever nozzle positions. So far my one and only local dealer has changed a gas tank... What other things that could be causing this?

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have it every now and then. As far as I understand, the hose from the filler cap to the gas tank has a check valve in it, which allows you to fill up the tank and allows air to bleed from the tank, but unables you to syphon gas out of it. Maybe you should look into that, because if it doesn't properly open, the tank pistol will think the tank is full because the gas spits back at it and shuts off.
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like they did not replace the tank. I can not see this happening two times, and with a new tank? something sound fishy. How old li the "new tank"?
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

well i looked at the new tank when they installed it, it looked pretty dang new... but i dont exactly trust the dealer i have to go to because they orig ordered a new hose to go from the filler cap to the tank and ordered the wrong one, but just happened to have a tank layin around so they changed it...

Cheyenne Trail Junkie

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine does it on occasion - annoying as hell. I usually just keep going at it, repositioning the nozzle, and it will eventually go. Does yours do this every time you try to fill up?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
sam187st
2011 JK Wrangler 

mine does it to sometimes. i think it has something to do with the fumes.
sam187st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine did it, but once the dealer replaced the tank, it's never happened again. The dealer had to order the tank, they didn't keep them in stock. I asked if they could just replace the fill hose and was told "no" the fix is to replace tank and fill hose, replacing the hose will not fix the problem.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

°ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYJ View Post
...they orig ordered a new hose to go from the filler cap to the tank and ordered the wrong one, but just happened to have a tank layin around so they changed it...
Sounds like thatís your problem right there. Even if it isnít they are idiots just for doing that.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mol- Yup I think the pumps here in Ohio hate me more than those in Wyoming tho, I had to start rocking the jeep to clear the line...

1222- They claimed to have talked to the "engineers" about the problem and will discuss options when I get back to Wyoming... It's just frustrating gettin a gallon in then waiting then repeat...

Thanks yall for ur inputs... Happy holidays!!!!

Cheyenne Trail Junkie

Unread 12-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

A few years ago I was standing by a friend of mine with an older full sized Jeep while he was filling up for a club run. He was having the same problem as you when all of a sudden and without warning he yanked the nozzle out of his tank and threw it hard as he could to the ground while screaming f u at the nozzle. Scared the crap out of me to say the least. After a few moments he picked it back up and I started laughing out of the spectacle and have been ever since. He was in his late 50ís, which made even funnier.
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
spedly
2011 JK Wrangler 

A bad evap canister or plugged vent could cause that.
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

1) There is a check valve inside the fuel tank. This isn't an anti-siphoning valve, this is a valve to keep fuel from spilling out in the event of a rollover (i.e., it's a safety valve). This valve is a plastic ball in a cage that is supposed to be pushed against a rubber seat by the pressure of the fuel in the tank when the Jeep rolls over. If the rubber seat swells in the presence of alcohol, however, the ball can press against the seat by the pressure of fumes coming up the fill hole and cause the check valve to seal. This is a long-time problem for Jeep, the only cure is to replace the tank because the seat inside the tank is part of the cage plastic-welded to the top of the tank.

2) Are you sure the dealer didn't take someone else's recently-removed defective tank and put it onto your Jeep?

3) Does it do this with every gas station and every pump? If you look at the underside of the Jeep, the filler hole is connected to a rather small hose that runs almost the complete width of the Jeep to the gas tank on the passenger side. I have no idea why they didn't put the filler on the passenger side so you didn't need such a long hose, but it is what it is. There are some gas station pumps that are sensitive to the fact that it's a rather restricted hose by comparison to most filler hoses.

4) If you switch brands of gas to a major name brand gas for a few tanks, do the symptoms get better? Some gas stations use an extra amount of alcohol in their gas, which both hurts your fuel economy and may cause swelling of the check valve. Usually (but not always) switching to a brand of gas with less alcohol will "cure" that.

Good luck!
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't put the nozzle in all of the way?
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
I donít know about that, girls arenít falling for that line anymore.
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
Some times i do just the tip, sometimes halfway, sometimes i slide it in and out sometimes i squeeze it hard some times i squeeze it soft, i have even let other people take it and give it a squeeze...

im likin the evap canister idea tho, i have ripped it off more than once, and its possible there could be dirt or something in the lines.... hmmmmmm... oh my evap is protected now...

thanks guys

Cheyenne Trail Junkie

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.