Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Wobble but not death wobble.

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  motoguy1251 
#1 ·
Death Wobble (one side?)**With Vid of Front End**

So I put on a zone 3" lift over the weekend. Talk about a learning experience... Well didnt pay attention and snugged stuff up before setting it back down. Then set it down and lifted it again and heard a pop... Checked things out didnt find anything. Drove for a day seemed out front seemed rigid and rear seemed soft... Well next day at about 30mph hit some small bumps and divots in the road on the right side.. First exp with death wobble... wow... For the next day or so anytime the right (couldnt test left) would hit bumps or anything at speeds over say 9mpg instant death wobble... So looked around the site 9/10 times it was the trac bar loose or bad. So went under yep trac bar wasnt near as snug as it should be, snugged it up also noticed the driver's side sway bar link was not close to where it should be tight wise... So snugged em up and took for a test over some rocks... OMG its gone... thank goodness... Did notice it seems over bumps it seems like it kinda wants to death wobble but doesnt.. just gets some wobble but not death wobble that goes away after 1-2 seconds on its own sometimes... The front wheels also seem to be toe at as well slightly... Would that and the lack of alignment after lift possibly be the issue there?

***********VIDEO ADDED******************

See less See more
#2 ·
at 3" you lost caster, caster helps maintain the wheels to head straight, return to center. Unless this lift had adjustable control arms. Did you reset the control arms and everything else with it loose then ON THE GROUND. If you do not you will wear the bushing out. Toe is rather simple to check with a tape measure. 1/16 toe in is standard.

Did you change tires? Slight wheel vibs is tire balance most times. Changed rims? be sure to remove the rotor keepers off the studs.

#3 ·
No wheel or tire changes.. did install the zone cam locks with it. no adjustable control arms.. I torqued the control arm bolts down with the wheels on and it on the ground. Was the only way the cam locks would line up correctly.

#4 ·
Try rotating the tires - often the fronts scallop and crown as they steer - the rears wear off nice and "flat" - getting them on the front will tell you a lot more than running with even the slightest scallop to the tires.

#5 ·
Ugh.. well the death wobble is back. Doesn't start quite as easy as before but doing it again. Was good for a couple days. This time I had to pull over and come to a stop. Well as I pulled on the shoulder I noticed as I pulled away looking back the tire marks in the gravel showed it's only the right wheel doing it.... pulled over after it did it again got out cranked on trac bar bolt and tie rod end bolts all were nice n tight. Suggestions?

#8 ·
I'm having a similar problem on an 08 Rubicon. Had a garage install the lift kit and put brand new wheels with 37" tires on it. My first experience with the death wobble. Took it back and they installed dual steering stabilizers. Was good for a couple months but started as this post describes. A wobble but not a death wobble and goes away fairly quickly. Also notice it on wide left turns. A similar feel anyway. Took it back in and they replaced the drag links and wheel bearings. Still same thing. Now they are telling me my u-joints are bad. Not sure I believe them. Was looking thru the forum and found this post. Don't mean to hijack this post but hate to duplicate it as well. Maybe same problem? I have little mechanical knowledge and am female so feel I am being taken advantage of at this shop. Looking for different input and suggestions.

#9 ·
I was told before I put the lift on that both my front ujoints were going i know when i was deployed my buddies dad replaced one of em... not sure which one... ill call and ask... its weird it seemed one sided

#10 ·
I'm going for second opinion on this but maybe it's still part of my problem as well. My jeep only has 48k miles on it. Kinds strange I have to replace all this stuff already. I haven't had the lift kit and tires on long but maybe it was just enough. I ran out of money to finish the u-joints after everything else. They told me it's not a simply fix on 07-08 Jeeps. Evidently they changed something in 09+ that made them stronger/more heavy duty and requires an upgrade to the new setup instead of a simple u-joint replacement? I don't know. Gotta call the Jeep dealer to see what's up with that yet. I'm not sure if mine is one sided or not but notice it over rough roads and turning left mostly. Nervous about the full death wobble as that scared the crap outta me! Thanks for sharing though.

#11 ·
I would take it to a off road shop especially one that specializes in jeeps... unfortunately there isnt one by me. and I dont have much knowledge on this... so using the net as much as possible

#13 ·
Ok well swapped out the lower trac bar bolt with a 9/16 grade 8 per the many recommendations. Good news is it was harder to make it death wobble.. Most bumps at about 40mph or so it seemed like it wanted to DW but wouldnt... When it finally did... It wasnt nearly as violent. So maybe I just need to get my hands on a torque wrench to see if it needs to be snugged down more... I got it as much as I could without getting the back wrench stuck and without access to a breaker bar for leverage.. So maybe ill get lucky and just need to snug it down more and an alignment and all will be well...

#14 ·
That's where the Jeep has been and why I'm frustrated. They are a Jeep/Off Road service shop. They have done all the work. I will get the u-joints replaced and go from there. Might have to check some of the same things you did as well. Thanks again and glad your having some luck. Mine is not violent at all. Was prior to the steering stabilizers though. Undriveable. Now just minor. Annoying more than anything. Hope you work yours out.

#15 ·
Watched the video, your draglink at the axle side looks like it has play in it. If you have not done it yet look up Planmans death wobble videos on youtube and check your ball joints as well as the other things mentioned in the video, If none of that helps I would also look at castor angle numbers to make sure your close or within tolerance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.