Wish me luck-lift going on tomorrow! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wish me luck-lift going on tomorrow!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

They were definitely to the max! The brake line extensions for the rear didn't quote line up, I still have to play with them some. I hung them how they were for now, there's a lot of slack so I'm not too worried with the stock tires on.

Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #32
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
They were definitely to the max! The brake line extensions for the rear didn't quote line up, I still have to play with them some. I hung them how they were for now, there's a lot of slack so I'm not too worried with the stock tires on.
You will probably max those shocks out before you max out the extensions. Its easy to check that.

I would also double check your routing on those brake lines. Here is from a how to thread I made.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...arned-1513528/

Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
This problem with the front passenger side shock must be 12 and up specific, on our 07-09s there is enough room to put a box end wrench on the top nut. The factory shock body has another nut at the base of the stem to hold the shock from rotating while you loosen the nut.
Getting them off was no problem. With the bilstien's you have to put an Allen wrench in the top of the shock mount to keep it from spinning. That's where you run into the tightness from the battery box.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post

You will probably max those shocks out before you max out the extensions. Its easy to check that.

I would also double check your routing on those brake lines. Here is from a how to thread I made.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...arned-1513528/
Thanks, I'll double check that after work.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis
Getting them off was no problem. With the bilstien's you have to put an Allen wrench in the top of the shock mount to keep it from spinning. That's where you run into the tightness from the battery box.
I see, the Ranchos I installed had a nut at the base of the stem like the stock shocks.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis

This. I have had difficulty with Bilsteins in at least one other rig because of that design. No big deal though.

I have the brake Iines around the front of the front shocks as well with my AEV lift. Same basic location as stock, just outside of those factory brackets and zip tied to the shock as they now recommend.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I can't resize pics on my phone, but I have a good after pic now. The location of the front brake lines in correlation with the shocks might be a good new thread to start. Get some different opinions. It didn't cross my mind on install, just seemed like they were where they were supposed to go.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #38
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't resize pics on my phone, but I have a good after pic now. The location of the front brake lines in correlation with the shocks might be a good new thread to start. Get some different opinions. It didn't cross my mind on install, just seemed like they were where they were supposed to go.
Different opinions?

Your going to either rip the lines apart from turning or damage the shock if the lines hold out it they go between the shock and spring. Look at that pic I posted. If you really want to go with that routing you will need new lines and they will rub on the springs, axle, and shock going through there.

Quote:
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Unread 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #39
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post

This. I have had difficulty with Bilsteins in at least one other rig because of that design. No big deal though.

I have the brake Iines around the front of the front shocks as well with my AEV lift. Same basic location as stock, just outside of those factory brackets and zip tied to the shock as they now recommend.
A different opinion...
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
A different opinion...
Go ahead and do it. Im saying that things are going to rub and strecth.

And the stock routing has them going around the back...

Quote:

Unread 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #41
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ

Go ahead and do it. Im saying that things are going to rub and strecth.

And the stock routing has them going around the back...
Are you sure about that now? My brand new 2012, right off the lot, had the front brake lines between the spring and the shock. I think that started 2011. The lines went through a bracket on the lower shock mount.

Here is pics from the manual, straight from AEV.

Unread 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #42
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Are you sure about that now? My brand new 2012, right off the lot, had the front brake lines between the spring and the shock. The lines went through a bracket on the lower shock mount.
Are you going to fight me, yes im sure. See the picture? Maybe the 12's and up are different. I dont like rubbing though.

Quote:

Unread 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #43
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ

Are you going to fight me, yes im sure. See the picture? Maybe the 12's and up are different. I dont like rubbing though.
How am I fighting you? I'm providing facts, not guessing based on a pieced together lift. Check my revised post above with AEV instructions for HIS suspension system, relevant to HIS jeep.
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
How am I fighting you? I'm providing facts, not guessing based on a pieced together lift. Check my revised post above with AEV instructions for HIS suspension system, relevant to HIS jeep.
What does a pieced together lift have anything to do with routing? I posted a picture of a stock setup on my Rubi. All of the ones I have seen have it going around back behind. And like I said, maybe the 12's and up are different I cannot say as I do not wheel with anyone who has the newer jeep.

Edit: looks like the 11's and newer have that routing, in reference to the drawn pictures. I find that scary

And if by pieced together lift your are referencing my jeep, I very much like my setup the way that I did it. I dont need "AEV" to tell me how my suspension set up. I pick what components are best for my set up. A kit does not do that.

Quote:

Unread 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't want to keep crapping in this thread.

My comment was based on your link to your "lessons learned" thread and your picture of the stretched brake line. I was implying that your thread and your setup didn't apply to a complete kit such as the one the OP has installed, with brake line brackets and a specific routing that works. Personally if I started over again I'd build my whole suspension (hell the whole jeep!) from individual components. My suspension started as AEV and is becoming more and more of a frankenlift with AEV, synergy, metalcloak and other components. I have nothing against pieced together lifts. It just didn't apply IMO to this guy's lift and directing him to do something contrary to the factory setup and contrary to the instructions supplied with his suspension system.

There is nothing scary about the way AEV has it routed. Before they told people to zip tie the brake line to the shock (to prevent chafing) I split a larger rubber hose and wrapped it around the brake line near the shock, and zip tied it anyway. With it tied to the shock it isn't going to bind up in anything. As shown, they come routed in the same place from the factory and as far as I know, nobody has had an issue with it. Not even before they told people to zip tie the brake line up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.