Wish me luck-lift going on tomorrow! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wish me luck-lift going on tomorrow!

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the lift will not change the toe in. What ever it was it is still. you could lift it 10 feet if possible and the toe would be the same. as for the Y pipe. did you grind off the button and loosen the clamp?

As long as the shocks and or extension are no more than +2.25 in added drop over stock it will not hit the drive line.

Unread 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen a few people with newer JKs fight that upper shock bolt and do some cutting .

So far the quickest actually goes to my buddy who loosened a few bolt mount bolts and just jacked the body up enough to get it together. 10 minutes total. Pretty cool.
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
I have read some place that there is something tricky with the passenger front shock installation. Anyone remember this care to elaborate?
It's a tight fit to get to the top nut, but the Teraflex kit I bought came with a custom tool to get in there and git'er done.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
the lift will not change the toe in. What ever it was it is still. you could lift it 10 feet if possible and the toe would be the same. as for the Y pipe. did you grind off the button and loosen the clamp?

As long as the shocks and or extension are no more than +2.25 in added drop over stock it will not hit the drive line.
You may be correct, however I made the mistake of turning the tie rod adjustment instead of drag link. Does anyone know what the range is with the measure the front of the tire then the rear of the tire method? I'm looking through the threads I searched, but haven't come across it yet.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

1/8 in toe in is good. So the measurement at the front of the tire should be 1/4 in less than at rear of tire.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer
1/8 in toe in is good. So the measurement at the front of the tire should be 1/4 in less than at rear of tire.
Your saying to toe each tire in 1/8"? Sounds like a lot to me. I've gone with 1/8" total.
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Your saying to toe each tire in 1/8"? Sounds like a lot to me. I've gone with 1/8" total.
You are correct. 1/8" TOTAL.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

From where my measuring points were (center-ish tread groove), my measurements were 61 1/2 in the rear and 61 7/16 in the front. That is the 1/16 difference I want, correct? I also got the steering wheel straight and the esp finally shut up
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Pics of the install:

1269.jpg

1276.jpg

1277.jpg

1278.jpg

shock-1-.jpg

shock-2-.jpg

shock-3-.jpg

shock-4-.jpg
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #25
duntov
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any pics of the final install done?
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic, Chili Pepper Red, 4.0, 4WD, 3" OME Full Leaf, JKS QD, JL Sub, Sony CD w/Ipod adapter, Polk Audio Speakers, Uniden CB Radio. JCR Front Prerunner bumper, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Reese hitch, Yakima Rack, Mopar spare tire rack.

2013 Jeep Unlimited, Gecko. Bone Stock.
duntov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Keep going! Looking good. I love watching build threads. Can't wait for the final pics.

BTW, you should probably remove the boots from the shocks, or if already installed, just take a razor to the boots and remove them. They will trap mud, dirt, sand, etc inside and eventually hurt the seals.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails
Keep going! Looking good. I love watching build threads. Can't wait for the final pics.

BTW, you should probably remove the boots from the shocks, or if already installed, just take a razor to the boots and remove them. They will trap mud, dirt, sand, etc inside and eventually hurt the seals.
Bilstein will not warranty shocks without boots so that's a bad idea. I had one warrantied due to a seal failure and AEV replaced it right away, after they saw a picture of it with a boot!
The boots have drains on them anyway. If rocks hit the shafts without a boot and pit them, that will destroy the seals.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #28
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good to know, thanks!
Disregard my last post, in that case. Keep them on!
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

This problem with the front passenger side shock must be 12 and up specific, on our 07-09s there is enough room to put a box end wrench on the top nut. The factory shock body has another nut at the base of the stem to hold the shock from rotating while you loosen the nut.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
Those poor brakelines!

Also not sure on the routing you have on the front brake lines. Do you have it going around the front of the shock? I cant remember where mine are routed but it would be bad if there was binding there.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.