Wiring in aftermarket subwoofer, with stock radio? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Wiring in aftermarket subwoofer, with stock radio?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Wiring in aftermarket subwoofer, with stock radio?

Is it possible to install an aftermarket subwoofer with a stock head unit? I have the Sahara with the factory subwoofer and want a little more push without upgrading the whole system for an arm and a leg.

I have a buddy of mine selling his 2 Alpine type R's 10" subs in an enclosure for a good price so thats why Im wondering. I tried looking for another thread on it but never found anything.

Thanks

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I highly doubt the factory amp would have enough power to push those efficiently. You would need to run an additional amp possibly using a line converter between the sub woofer amp and signal from the factory amp. I think Mol had a signal processor hooked up to his somehow, forgot what brand though.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
I highly doubt the factory amp would have enough power to push those efficiently. You would need to run an additional amp possibly using a line converter between the sub woofer amp and signal from the factory amp. I think Mol had a signal processor hooked up to his somehow, forgot what brand though.
Ok so its possible atleast? I would definitely get an aftermarket amp.. Nothing fancy I dont think. Snowboarding season is coming up and need some tunes for all the road trips!

Is this something that say, cartoys could do for me without them telling me something I need when I really dont. What would you recommend overall? Save up for an aftermarket radio and do it all? I like the stock radio so Id like to keep it stock for now atleast.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

With a sound processor and a higher wattage 5 channel amp you could drive all the speakers . It's alot of work and rewiring , but this would give you better overall control and sound while still using the factory head unit. They may be able to take the signal wires coming into the factory amp and use it to supply a mono sub amp. I don't know for sure the wiring for the amp if it is indeed possible or how great it would sound.

On my WJ with the factory Infinity system I was able to splice the incoming rear signal wires to an amp powering one MTX 10" sub. I am also using an aftermarket head unit ,though not neccesary gives a lot better control in overall sound. As you are aware access to that amp and wiring doesn't require a chiropractic visit unlike the JK.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I just added new door speakers and a sub to my Liberty..If you want to keep the stock headunit, you have to get a PAC module. Very easy, you just pop the headunit out and plug this module in, now you will have RCA plugs to use an amp.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Using an amp with speaker-level inputs makes adding a sub super simple.

For my 2-door jk, I just mounted the amp under a seat and tapped into the wires at the bottom of the rollbar.
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Definitely easy to do. Any shop, or person with installation experience should be able to help you out. But if you are planning on running 2 10" type R's you will want to upgrade your other speakers as well. You will completely drown out the stock speakers running off of a factory head unit without an amp.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.