Window zipper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Window zipper

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Window zipper

Has anyone found a good way to zip and unzip the rear window? I have cleaned the dirt and lubed the zipper but no improvement. The main problemarea is on the curves. TIA

mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

That thing is a big PITA, isn't it?

The mopar lube works fairly well for me, but still far from a bulletproof solution. I sometimes will attach a small carabiner clip to the zipper to get some leverage on it and not scrape up my hands/fingers in between zipper and top.

I think the most important thing is getting it lined up just right before zippering it up; sometimes mine is a major pain, and other times it is as easy as the sides to open (which I have absolutely no problems on the sides)... All depends if I am off a tooth or three in one direction, it seems.

Easy solution - don't put it in from spring - fall. LOL. Just pull drain plug in your rear cargo areas and the storage bin.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalayjim View Post
Has anyone found a good way to zip and unzip the rear window? I have cleaned the dirt and lubed the zipper but no improvement. The main problemarea is on the curves. TIA
I agree it can be a PITA and, after 3 summers, I still haven't hit on the perfect method. Some have recommended zipping in the back window before zipping in the two sides.

I'm not sure if it really helps or not, but I tend to slide the rear window off-center toward the driver side to start the zipper. After I zip up this side and make it around the driver side upper corner, I then slide the window back toward the passenger side until it's centered before I continue across, around the passenger side upper corner and down. The other key seems to be having some momentum to make it around the two upper corners.

I do feel like the Mopar zipper lube stuff helps some. If you search you'll see recommendations for other products to help lubricate the zipper.

Steve
sdebol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
nemoek
2007 JK Wrangler 

Only time I've had problems is when mine got caked with dirt/salt. Keep it clean & lubed.

I have noticed that the corners will bind a little if the window is wedged inside or outside the top, especially if it's cold. Pull the corner back to the right position & it's fine.
[QUOTE=Rik84;8868189]If someone mails me a letter about why my newish to me Jeep sucks I will personally poop in a paperbag and mail it back to them.[/QUOTE]
nemoek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also pull down on rear-most bow to alleviate some tension?
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I zip up the rear window with two hands. My right hand pulls the cord and my left gently pushed from the rear of the zipper. Makes it go a lot faster and prevents the zipper from shifting up of down making it harder to zip close. I also use mopar zipper lube and cleaner. This stuff works good.
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
I zip up the rear window with two hands. My right hand pulls the cord and my left gently pushed from the rear of the zipper. Makes it go a lot faster and prevents the zipper from shifting up of down making it harder to zip close. I also use mopar zipper lube and cleaner. This stuff works good.
Have done the two handed technique (push and pull) when the going gets tough also...
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine's screwed up too. The teeth don't mesh correctly at the top curves. Maybe the guy in China who made it was having a bad day. I've seen on Jeep forums that people were getting replacements under warranty. I would try that but I've got no dealerships within 60 miles of me since the three closest were shut down in the interest of "job creation".

I haven't dealt with it but now that the good weather is here, I'll look into it. I'll probably take a road-trip and stop at Jeep dealers until I can find one that will replace it under warranty. My TJ has no such problem, it's a quality control issue.
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

I pull what would be the C-pillar (don't remember what Jeep calls this) in to make the window opening smaller. I install the rear before the sides. Seems to zip alot easier this way. I managed to tear up the zipper on a previous top and had to have the dealer warantee out both the window and the top. Since I have started to pull the sides in (after they are attached to the body) I have not had a problem.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey, Thanks for all the suggestions. So, if put on a caribier, push and pull with both hands and with my third hand :<) pull down on the bows it should work great.

I think I'll try the caribier idea.
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
stockrubi
2008 JK Wrangler 

There are a few tricks to it. First make sure the 2 clamps on the channel up front are not locked all the way down. Just place them on the loop. Second zip the back windows up before the sides. The top will also soften in the sun so warm it up a little.

It is more a finesse thing. I find it to be fairly easy, yanking on the zipper does not work.
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, I tried the caribier metheod. I like it but not perfect!
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
texasflusher
2010 JK Wrangler 

The back window removal is such a pain for us the we now just leave it on when we lower the soft top. The soft top seems to still fold down just fine.
texasflusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I only zip up the sides of the rear window and don't "round the curve" if you will. I then roll it up and wrap the factory elastic bands around it to hold it up. At that point you can lower your top with no damage (creasing/cracking) to your rear window. When you raise the top back up you only have to zip the sides straight down (no corners). Works like a champ!
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
BigRed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdebol View Post
I'm not sure if it really helps or not, but I tend to slide the rear window off-center toward the driver side to start the zipper. After I zip up this side and make it around the driver side upper corner, I then slide the window back toward the passenger side until it's centered before I continue across, around the passenger side upper corner and down. The other key seems to be having some momentum to make it around the two upper corners.

Steve
x2.

this worked for me like a charm the last time i put the window back in. it helps keep the gaps between the one set of teeth on the top and the teeth on the window closer together for easier zippering.
BigRed09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.