Winch; Steel cable or Synthetic rope, Safety and Techniques. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch; Steel cable or Synthetic rope, Safety and Techniques.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I like that, safety first when winching no matter what. There is just way too much potential for great bodily harm or worse.
Yep. And way too many brother in laws that say watch this while you hold my beer.

Unread 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I dont use a purpose made mat but a jacket or towel will do fine to drop the line. id use it on rope just as well. I trust my life to dyneema regularly. its good stuff and its hydrophobic. The bit about water not being truly absorbed by the line is important. Water in the line will significantly weaken it. If its just occupying its somewhat loose looking braid then that would be ok. What isnt ok would be the particulates that follow. I use the steel cable and was going to switch but i dont think i will. I too often frequent muddy wet environments. The particulates that can get driven into the fibers will abraid it from the inside out. This would be ok for those who enjoy running the line out and cleaning and inspecting it but that just isnt me. This would be a case of knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are and being smart with your choices regardless with what is cool and hip. Ill leave the cleaning and inspecting to the lines i might hang from and use a more utilitarian setup for winching.
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
Brt3230
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I stick with steel
Brt3230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brt3230 View Post
I stick with steel
That's a hard one to beat!

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #35
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Over the years, I've used both and I've seen both break. I can verify that steel does whip and that while synthetic doesn't "exactly" fall dead, it doesn't do much more (it doesn't whip and it certainly wouldn't hurt anyone). I still believe in throwing a jacket over a line regardless of what it's made of.

I like aspects of both and dislike aspects of both. Currently, I use synthetic and intend to keep doing so. The reason that I do is for the safety factor. I have two teenage boys who've been preached at more than I probably should have about respecting winch line (regardless of type). But they're teenagers and teenagers do stupid things from time to time (I know that I did). It's not just the "whip" factor either. When you get from 1.5-2 times the strength out of a given line size, that means a lot.

I rebuild winches as a hobby, mostly 8274s, but I do work on planetaries from time to time. What most folks may not realize is that the 5/16" steel cable that comes on a new Warn 8K (regardless of model) is only rated at 9,800 lbs. That's in a perfect world with brand new cable that's never been stretched, kinked, abraded, or mistreated in any way.

I do get more of a warm fuzzy with the abrasion resistance of steel, but I'm a little bit of a zealot about keeping my line off the ground or from touching things, so the synthetic doesn't really bother me. I also feel that a properly maintained steel cable will probably have much more longevity than a properly maintained synthetic rope. I have nothing to support this, but until synthetics have been on the market for 20+ years, no one else will either.

All that being said, regardless of which you use, please do proper maintenance on it at least once or twice a year. For synthetic, that means a nice bucket of clean water pushing the braid into itself (opening up the braid) and making sure that you get all the dirt out. For steel it means lubricating the cable. A bonus is that you'll find other problems (kinks, broken strands, and etc.) while you're doing this instead of finding them the hard way when you "need" the winch to work. I used Kroil when I was running steel. I used Kroil because that's what my dad always used (and uses still). I wish I could give you a well prepared explanation of what the best product is, but I can't because it's all I've used and it's always worked well. Any good penetrating oil should work fine, but frankly I'd rather see someone putting motor oil on their cable than leaving it dry. Yes, oiling cable is messy, but yes, it's worth it.

My brother has an old Ramsey that's been on his truck for over a decade. It was on a F350 that my dad had for another decade before that. This was a winch that came on the F350 when dad bought it and had seen quite a bit of use before we got it. My brother is still running that cable. He lubes it in the spring and in the fall and it's never given him any problems.

In the end, pick what's best for you, maintain it, and use it with care. I'm not opposed to either. It's just a matter of deciding which drawbacks you'd rather live with.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #36
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well said!!!
Excellent report.... covers it all.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Am I wrong to think that if I am going months without needing the winch, that with synthetic line I could unspool and store the line off the jeep?

Also, as noted, if a synthetic line breaks, say twenty or so feet from the hook, is there a way to reattach the synthetic line to the hook?
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #38
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nothing stopping you from taking your line off the winch, no.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
Am I wrong to think that if I am going months without needing the winch, that with synthetic line I could unspool and store the line off the jeep?

Also, as noted, if a synthetic line breaks, say twenty or so feet from the hook, is there a way to reattach the synthetic line to the hook?
There's nothing wrong with it other than the hassle. Why not just get a winch cover?

Concerning broken synthetic, you can splice it. There's no reason to lose the cable between the break and the hook. You can buy splicing kits that come with everything you need or even just tie a not (if you're in a pinch) until you can splice it properly.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #40
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Raise you hand if you've seen a line break, steel or synthetic. Just curious how common it is.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
mello

I have seen both break more steel then rope.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #42
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've seen steel break but it was a line that was not maintained well, we've all seen them the kinked up rats nest of a line.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #43
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen a kinked steel line break and a rope Break. Which is why I went with a rope.
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #44
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hand raised for both. I've seen a lot more steel break than synthetic, but I've been wheeling since the early 80s as a passenger and from the mid 90s as a driver and it wasn't all that long ago that I hadn't seen synthetic line on a winch...
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #45
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Im just about to buy a winch and Im thinking after reading all of these posts, and having worked construction fior many years(working around crains n such and Rigging etc) I think Im gonna have to stick with the steel cable. I keep a wool blanket in my jeep anyway for Emergencies, and I will likely build myself a recovery bag with some stracks and extra shakles and maybe a bolck n tackle. Thanks for the great info, and now for some winch research!
Spook45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.