Winch questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
ski313
2007 JK Wrangler 

Winch questions

Hello everyone, I am very new to the forum but I finally got up the nerve to ask a few newbie questions. I am in the market for a winch to fill my Shrockworks bumper. (That can't come soon enough) My questions are...
Do winch cables snap very often, I mean I now they don't, but have any of you experienced it?
Do winch cables rust after a few years?
Can I use a Hawse fairlead on a standard cable without damaging the cable?
I don't see many Ramsey winches, any reason in particular?
Thank you!

ski313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry I can't help ya with any of your winch questions, but I am curious about your Shrockworks bumper. When did you order and have the given you a time table or ETA?

When I spoke with them about a week and a half ago, they said there was a 6 week waiting list for the front bumper. I was wanting to order one, but I figured I might as well wait until after the SEMA show to see what all else may show up.
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
ski313
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I also got a 6 week timeframe. I am about week #4. Even though I was prepared for the wait, I didn't realize how hard it would be!
Unread 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
hifiguy7
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered mine (shrockworks bumper) in early August (I think). It arrived in about 4 to 5 weeks. Now, if only the Jeep I ordered in June would arrive, I could see how great it works.

I, too, am a newbie. I have the Warn Dual Powerplant winch waiting for install on my new Rubicon. I was enamored by the compressor built-in. It seemed kind of like a good 2-for-1 deal. I will be able to easily air-down and air-up as well as be able to run air tools.

The Warn is what shrockworks uses in their advertising pictures of the Stubby Bumper.

I am trying to find a good winching video that will teach me how to winch. Good Luck. If someone knows of a good book or video, please let us know.

Thanks
hifiguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
Hyper Cadaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiguy7
I am trying to find a good winching video that will teach me how to winch. Good Luck. If someone knows of a good book or video, please let us know.

Thanks
I don't have any experience with this video but I plan to pick it up when my jeep gets closer to arriving (probably July 2009 or so )

http://4x4books.com/bbgus.htm
Hyper Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #6
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Another noob here
I ordered the Warn 8000 to go on my bestop bumper. Admittedly, if I ever use the winch, I'm pretty certain it'll be for minor stuff. Hate me, laugh at me... whatever I got the winch because a big burly bumper would look nekkid without one. Is the 8000 a capable winch?
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!! The real problem with cables on winches is that they frey sp* I'm sure that there will be the rust factor but that will be down the road. Nice winches come with a cover too. This helps them last. I am a huge fan of Warn winches. They are much faster than a lot of others. However they cost much more too. Most guys can't justify spending $1000+ on a winch that they will be lucky to use 3 times a year. For that guy I strongly suggest Harbor freights winch. Comes with everything you need for 300 bones. I have been told that it is the same winch mile marker sells for 200 more dollars. For 25$ harbor freight offers a life time warrenty. I'm not sure how you can go wrong with that. It's not going to win any races against a nice warn winch but most people only use it to pull their jeep or another jeep less than 10' anyhow. If you have the coin warn does have a winch with an air comp. with it. They are killer. but so is the price and I'm not sure how the average guy can justify it. I strongly suggest buying a rope over the cable. They are stronger. Don't frey sp* and look better. You can pick them up on ebay for around 60-100 bones. Here is a pic of mine just to give you a feel. Let us know what you end up with.

Todd

Unread 10-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Mike_Engle

I personally have not had a wire winch cable break before, it will happen though. I carry a heavey wool blanket that I had some weights sewn in it help it stay drapped over the winch line in case it snaps. If it does let go it just falls to the ground, This I have seen before. The synthetic line is good but degrades when exposed to the sun's UV rays. When this synthetic line breaks it just falls to the ground.

There are pros and cons to both types of cables. Proper maint. is key to keeping the winch and cable in good operating order. I always lube my wire cable with bees wax, this keeps the rust to an absolute minimum and and preserves the integrity of the cable.

As for what winch to get, you get what you pay for. Series wound or permanent magnet they both work well. The M8000 winch is a great choice, you can't go wrong with a Warn. The Harbor freight winch is also a good deal, Mile marker makes some really good winch's.
Mike_Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
ski313
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you all for your replies. I was planning on spending at least $1000 for the winch. I figure that since I am such a rookie, I will probably get stuck quite a bit. I am torn between the powerplant or the Warn Rockcrawling winch. I don't rockcrawl yet but I prefer the synthetic rope and Hawse fairlead. I was worried that the 50 ft. of synthetic line may be too short, but Toxic TJ said most pulls are less than that anyway. Also, thanks for the safe winching info, I definately will be ordering that!
ge2 I was told to go with a winch that was 1.5 times the gross vehicle weight including New bumpers, winch, fuel,etc. so they recommended 9000lb. winch. Not sure how accurate the info is but that is what I was told when looking at winches.
I do see M8000 on plenty of signatures in the forums though.
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Great info here. I'm learning as I go

Well, I'll go for the 8000 for now, and if it seems to not be enough, then perhaps it'll be up for sale

I hadn't really accounted for the added weight of the new wheels/tires, front and rear bumpers, winch etc.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
jeff@zina.com
2007 JK Wrangler 

Check the general off road forum for some decent winch information, including synthetic cable/rope. I've seen a cable break and nearly take a guy's arm off, he got airlifted out because he lost so much blood. I've also seen one take out the windshield of a Scout. Nobody was in it because the winch was being run remotely. More common is a piece of vehicle ripping off, learn where the solid points on your JK are.

On the JK with the bumper you chose you have a wide range of winch choices, a decent Warn 9000 is in your price range. A goodie bag of shackles, tree saver and other accesories, a length of Blue Steel winch rope and a good pair of gloves and you're all set. At least until you're stuck out of range of an anchor point...

Jeff
jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!! The real problem with cables on winches is that they frey sp* I'm sure that there will be the rust factor but that will be down the road. Nice winches come with a cover too. This helps them last. I am a huge fan of Warn winches. They are much faster than a lot of others. However they cost much more too. Most guys can't justify spending $1000+ on a winch that they will be lucky to use 3 times a year. For that guy I strongly suggest Harbor freights winch. Comes with everything you need for 300 bones. I have been told that it is the same winch mile marker sells for 200 more dollars. For 25$ harbor freight offers a life time warrenty. I'm not sure how you can go wrong with that. It's not going to win any races against a nice warn winch but most people only use it to pull their jeep or another jeep less than 10' anyhow. If you have the coin warn does have a winch with an air comp. with it. They are killer. but so is the price and I'm not sure how the average guy can justify it. I strongly suggest buying a rope over the cable. They are stronger. Don't frey sp* and look better. You can pick them up on ebay for around 60-100 bones. Here is a pic of mine just to give you a feel. Let us know what you end up with.
Hey Toxic, that's one mean Jeep. I love it.

On the cheaper winches, how does the Smittybilt XRC8 compare. Price is right under $300.

BTW, Harbor Freight hav receiver hooks going for $9.99 and cargo carriers for $79.
Unread 10-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
coachchuck
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have found the price is normally in direct relationship to speed.
I have a very slow mile marker. It is about 3 years old and have used it over 60 times. It is very slow compared to others, but it still functions to get me and others out of trouble. I figure it is about time to replace the cable.
both steel cable and hi tech ropes have down falls and good points.
Heat from the winch doesn't effect the cable like the rope.
Rocks don't as adversely affect the cable like the rope.
wire You don't have to worry about the rope kinking like the cable
You don't have to pull strands of enbedded out of you hands with the rope.
Both can break, cable flies rope drops.
8-9k is about all you need for a jeep.
coachchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I reccomend the Superwinch EPi 9.0, reviewed as almost an equal to the warn winches at half the cost. It's what I use, have yet to trail test it though, but I've heard nothing but good things about Superwinch. Check my pictures in my signature, like 6,7, 8, and 9 I think have pictures with the winch installed.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
cyco
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i have the 9000lb winch hf, has 3/8 cable, we put jeep against a tree an pulled a 7,500 lb buggy with the tractor tires dragging, it just a little slow but cheap an works fine....read about it in moabjeeper magazine, article, winches in hell, finished 3rd of 8
cyco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.