Winch and Bumper questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Winch and Bumper questions

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Winch and Bumper questions

Questions:

1. If my bumper is only rated for a 10k winch am i able to buy a 12k winch and make sure that what i pull inst over 10k?

2. I have the smittybilt src classic bumper, the winch fairlead mount on the front looks like it is for a synthetic rope fairlead, can a wire fairlead be used on this bumper.

3. Lastly, i am looking at the engo and smittybilt winchs. Which would give me the best bang for the buck?

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the wire Smitty 8K....It's worked when I needed it to, but I wish I had the Ramsey. Their 8.5 is about $500, and US made, unlike ALL the others. (Warn's high end is still US).

Unless you need the 10-12K pull for non-recovery, it really is overkill to have such a heavy winch. Your suspension and mileage will hate you!
...and they should all come with a roller lead if they're wire or fairlead if they're synthetic.....

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

General rule of thumb, winch sizing is 1-1/2 times (1.5x) your GVWR. Most cases - except extreme modded bumpers, winch, armor, tires, sliders, etc. - a 9000 to 10000 lb winch will do fine for a JK. You can also purchase a snatch block to increase your recovery pull power.

Interesting note: the Warn M8000 winch - a relatively cost-friendly winch at $750 (ball-park) - seems to use the same DC motor and gearing as the short-spooled "9.5RC" rock-crawling winch that retails for over $1400. How Warn claims that one winch can pull 8000lbs vs the other at 9500lbs while both use the same DC motor and gears I am not certain, but it is certainly food for thought. Perhaps the red paint and the special advertising/packaging lets the winch tow more??? lol
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Winches rated pull is at the first course of rope/cable - is the spool diameter the same for both winches?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I cant really answer that question, i am looking for a good winch yet i will not use it often so i am still debating between companies and models
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
agenbroad99
2008 JK Wrangler 

Engo 10k wire shipped for $325 from The Jeep Hut. It pulled out a jeep yesterday with no issues. One perfect pull so far.

Look now cheaper than when I got it... and still free shipping

http://thejeephut.com/engo-e10000-10...l#.UB-q2KPuDap
2008 JKUS Banks Monster, 4.88 G2 Gears, PureJeep Rocker Guards, AEV Savegre w/315/70/17 Duratracs, Body Armor Rear w/Tire carrier, Teraflex 3" with Bilsteins, Rough Country Bumper with Engo 10K install, Evo sleeves and gussets, oh yeah and Flat Fenders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKFbphWpvY&feature=player_embedded
agenbroad99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Rooster76
2012 JK Wrangler 

I found it a bit cheaper

I found this vendors deal a few days ago. With the synthetic line is very tempting .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/e...pping-1238320/
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris View Post
Ok, here's the deal. A while back, I mentioned that an off road magazine was doing another winch shootout. I'm sure many of you remember some years back and they did a head to head with Warn, Superwinch, Harbor Freight, etc... Well, another one has happened and is in the current July issue of Four Wheeler magazine. Eight winches were tested. Six winches were destroyed during the course of the tests. Only two survived and one of which was the Engo E9000... and it made it look like a breeze and passed with flying colors. In my opinion after reading the article, I personally think the Engo should have come in first place in the competition, but the testers put silly stuff like 60 points for remote control function and ergonomics as more important than whether it passed water, stall, speed, etc tests. :shaking:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...out/index.html

Anyway, a 9000 lb winch for $285 to anywhere in the lower 48 states. Lifetime Warranty on the mechanical. Only from JeepAddOns.com. Call me today at 800-388-8637 ext 1884 and I'll get your order in and out the door.

9,000 with steel cable only $285
10,000 lb with steel cable only $309
12,000 lb with steel cable only $349
9,000 lb with synthetic line only $405!
10,000 with synthetic line only $419!
12,000 with synthetic only $489!

Wireless Remote available for only $25 when you order your winch at the same time!

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Please delete this thread for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.