Which Winch Bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Winch Bumper?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Which Winch Bumper?

I know there are a thousand threads for this but none too up to date.

I'm looking for a front bumper for my JK. Looking for stubby or mid, not full width unless someone can tell me a reason I should look into full width. I have a Warn Powerplant to mount, so a sunken winch mount would be prefered. I would also LIKE aluminum, but that might be too much money. I do like the Gen-right however.

So what do you like? Love to see photos. This will go on a 2013 JKUR. The big Jeep/Truck show is coming soon to Orlando and I'm hoping to have it narrowed down by then.

Thanks everyone.

Jason

JasonVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not a full sunken but it does have a slight dip. I like the PSC Brawler lite bumper.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

For aluminum I would go Nemesis or Genright...for a steel stubby, I would look at the RR stubby, just my preferences though. I say Nemesis because I visited their facility and was impressed with the quality they produce.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a LoD stubby with a Warn PowerPlant - leaves plenty of room. Works really well, looks great and has a matching skid that also covers up
the Rubicon quick disconnect sway bar controller. Fit and finish is top-notch - it even ships in a crate so not a scratch on it when you get it.
IMHO another bonus is the factory fogs drop right in no harness cutting
or modifications....

2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

I hadn't heard of LoD or Nemesis. This is a big help. I like the stinger look, plus it COULD be functional. I'm looking for something that won't make the winch sit this high. lol
winch-mockup1.jpg  
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

One of the main reasons I got the LoD was for the winch.
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I got the Warn Elite a few months ago, and a big part of the choice was the winch sitting between the frame rails. I use the full width because she's also my daily driver. Sometimes rocks and trees get in the way that would otherwise REALLY screw up my alignment/axle/suspension. Two cars have been totaled by my Jeep, and both times it was the outside corner that did it. Just me, but the full width is insurance against knucklehead drivers......

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
JasonVideo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
I got the Warn Elite a few months ago, and a big part of the choice was the winch sitting between the frame rails. I use the full width because she's also my daily driver. Sometimes rocks and trees get in the way that would otherwise REALLY screw up my alignment/axle/suspension. Two cars have been totaled by my Jeep, and both times it was the outside corner that did it. Just me, but the full width is insurance against knucklehead drivers......

Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that.
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm running the LoD midwidth , it sets the winch low into the bumper for plenty of airflow. I like it , but an aluminum bumper would be nice to keep weight down a bit.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
medijeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got myself the M.O.R.E. Rock Crawler front bumper. Probably better pics on their site. This bumper also covers the swaybar disconnect. I liked this one because its less common, and doesnt stick out so far from the front of the Jeep as most others. Also, the bars dont protrude above the hood like a stinger would.
jkbumper.jpg

medijeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Aluminum will give you some weight savings, but not recommended for a lot of rock crawling. Aluminum is not as strong and will gall and show scratches and gouges.

I'm still deciding myself. This weeks favorite is the Metalcloak. You can custom order the MC in any width, bull bar, stinger, winch guard etc. I'm thinking of ordering one grill width (46" crawler caps) and bull bar.

The first one is with the bull bar and mid width caps. The second one is the width I want, but with the winch guard.

I am also considering the Genright, but in steel. I also like the Evo quarter pounder.
mc5.jpg  
mc.jpg

suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
AEVBrute

I did extensive research on bumpers to accomodate the PP. Look at the Hanson, not sure if it aluminum sorry.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm with wilywilly, two hours ago I would have said stubby, 90 minutes ago I was cutoff by a guy turning in front of me and he hit the end of the bumper. If he didn't hit that, he would have hit the body/grill.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
Frogomatic

*Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper stubby w/ stinger
*Superwinch EPi9.0S Master Winch w/ Amsteel Blue synthetic line

More pictures here
Frogomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

I know it's not sunken but I will always plug the brawler lite from poison spyder. But jcr, Hanson, lod, and nemesis make great bumpers
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.