Will the JK ever get more power? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Will the JK ever get more power?

Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!All our Different Weld Washers!Panhard Parts & Kits from Ruffstuff!

Unread 11-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Will the JK ever get more power?

Does anyone no if theres any plans for more power down the road? Hemi, 4.7 v8, other v6s ? DMX allways loves to put some power in there cars and trucks so why not the jeep? Going with big lifts and big tires we can allways use some more power

Unread 11-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hemi NO!!!
4.7 PROBABLY NOT

the new 4.0 v6 is the only possibilty.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Conundrum

New 4.0L V-6? Something like what they put in Ford Rangers?
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
tolh13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum1984
yea but they will put a jeep sticker on instead.
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
PLAN D

Why probably not on the 4.7L? The 235/305 would be nice so would the 3.0CRD, but that horse has been whipped.
PLAN D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Scootr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah but the DC 4.0 V6 will have a bunch more ponies...265 to be exact!

[B] 2007 JK "X" 2dr [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Jeep Green[/COLOR],auto, 4.10's, 6 disc Infinity system with sub, 32's w/Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Series 8179 wheels, Smittybilt SRC side bars,Sirius 1 unit, Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS . Former Jeeps...02 and 05 TJ Sports
[COLOR="Red"]SEMPER FI ![/COLOR]
[/B]
Scootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ford isnt even part of DCX..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAN D
Why probably not on the 4.7L? The 235/305 would be nice so would the 3.0CRD, but that horse has been whipped.
way too much needs to be done for the 4.7

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
Unread 11-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
tolh13

[QUOTE=SecondTJ] Ford isnt even part of DCX..

Thats why we need a big jeep sticker to hide the ford one!
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
03jeeper78

Only rumors, however, based on conversations with various engineers at Camp Jeep, I haven't given up hope for a diesel. Although, we're talking at least 2-3 years down the road for that.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ

way too much needs to be done for the 4.7

Really what needs to be done? You seem to know it all.
Unread 11-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
Really what needs to be done? You seem to know it all.
here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 000
Allright, lets do some simple comparisons here on the engines. The good old I-6 4.0L was a great design for an engine. Simple, OHV setup, very durable, easy to repair in the feild as it was mechanically very uncomplicated.

The new 3.8L V-6 is also a great design for an engine, Simple, OHV setup, very durable, easy to repair in the field as it too is rather mechanically uncomplicated.

The 4.0L could not be upgraded to pass 2007 Federal Emmissions Standards, and rather than spending millions of dollars to develop a new inline engine to replace it, Daimler Chrysler decided to use an existing engine that they were already producing, the 3.8L V-6.

You may ask, "Why didn't they just use the 3.7L V-6 from the Liberty/Grand Cherokee/Commander/Dakota?" (we asked that question as well during the Jeep Technologies Class we have to attend for our sales training). There was a good answer, the 3.7L is a great engine, but it is an OHC design engine, and not well suited for the new JK.

An OHV V-6 Engine is really easy to maintain, any backyard mechanic can tune one quite easily (much like the I-6 OHV Engine). The OHC V-6 Engine, on the other hand, requires a lot more work and diagnostic tools to maintain, and is rather difficult to maintain in the field.

The OHV 3.8L V-6 uses a distributorless ignition system, much like the system used on the I-6 4.0L Engine; The OHC 3.7L V-6 uses a on the plug coil pack ignition, requiring more computer control for the ignition firing cycle.

Of course, offroad one does not want to have to carry diagnostic computer equipment to fix their Jeep in the event of a breakdown, that's why we liked the old I-6 4.0L Engine. The V-6 3.8L Engine also does not need to have a lot of diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot...the V-6 3.7L Engine does.

Oh, BTW, the Minivan's are getting a new engine next year, to be shared with the Pacifica...one engine, five platforms, makes good business sense to me.
I have also read that the 3.7 was too wide, and the 3.7 is based off the 4.7, so that would make it a bit of fitment problem. Also, to get it and have th JK meet crash standards and emissions. The 4.7 uses the same iginition system, has similar electronics

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

OK I guess that does it.
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #13
chris269

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ
here.

I have also read that the 3.7 was too wide, and the 3.7 is based off the 4.7, so that would make it a bit of fitment problem. Also, to get it and have th JK meet crash standards and emissions. The 4.7 uses the same iginition system, has similar electronics
Its a Jeep. I ve seen big blocks stuffed in side that so called little engine compartment. and your telling us that a little old 4.7 wont fit or that it would be to hard to fix in the field. If you have the know how to fix your 4.0 in the field surely you can fix your 4.7 in the field. If its something complicated that needs diagnostics you probobly couldn't fix either one out in the middle of nowhere. If we want a V8 in a wrangler we just need to make are needs clear to DC and hope for the best. but as far as availability of putting one in a jeep its not brain surgery. you do one and then repeat a whole bunch of times.
chris269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
Bayou Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris269
Its a Jeep. I ve seen big blocks stuffed in side that so called little engine compartment. and your telling us that a little old 4.7 wont fit or that it would be to hard to fix in the field. If you have the know how to fix your 4.0 in the field surely you can fix your 4.7 in the field. If its something complicated that needs diagnostics you probobly couldn't fix either one out in the middle of nowhere. If we want a V8 in a wrangler we just need to make are needs clear to DC and hope for the best. but as far as availability of putting one in a jeep its not brain surgery. you do one and then repeat a whole bunch of times.

"Fitting" and being safe in a head on crash are two different things. Before the Chevrolet S10 was replaced GM tried offering it with a V8. Everything went well until the crash tests. In the head on test the engine ended up sitting in the passenger compartment in between the two from seats.

I assume this is probably going to be the same scenario.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #15
chris269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
"Fitting" and being safe in a head on crash are two different things. Before the Chevrolet S10 was replaced GM tried offering it with a V8. Everything went well until the crash tests. In the head on test the engine ended up sitting in the passenger compartment in between the two from seats.

I assume this is probably going to be the same scenario.
So tell me, what do you think the weight difference is between a v6 and a v8 a couple hundred pounds. build a stronger front end and give us a Hemi. If they can put a v8 in a grand cherokee why not a wrangler unlimited. there basically the same size vehicle. Don't give me this crap that it can't be done. If the Consumer wants it and is willing to pay the price the consumer should be able to have it. Your already talking 30K for a ruby whats another 2 to 3K to have a V8. It's worth it.
chris269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.