Will I regret ordering my 2013 JKU 4 door with half doors??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Will I regret ordering my 2013 JKU 4 door with half doors???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Will I regret ordering my 2013 JKU 4 door with half doors???

So I am in my final week or two before I order my new JKU and I really like the idea of the half doors, but have a few concerns...
Concerns:
1. How loud are they when the upper doors are on?
2. Do they have any leaking problems?
3. Are the upper plastic windows similar to the ones that came on the YJ's? Or is the design any better on the JKU upper half doors?
4. I assume, like on my YJ, the plastic windows just fold inside and get all scratched up and can hardly see out of them or are these better design than the YJ?

OK, now for a little more info before you give me your opinions. I am ordering a black JKU and am thinking the upper half doors, when they are on, won't look as bad or maybe they will blend in better than if I was getting a white JKU.

I have done google searches and it is hard to find a black 4 door JKU with the half doors.. maybe that is a sign that I shouldn't go that route. If I do get the full doors then I am still leaning toward manual locks and windows. I plan on having this thing forever and don't need the hassle of more electrical junk going bad.

I am definitely leaning toward the full doors, but I haven't completely ruled out the half doors....

SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've had both (but not on a (JK), and even though I liked my half doors, I think full doors/no doors is a better option.

The absolute cheapest used JK's I've seen have been half-door models, and for sale for a loooooong time. I know you say you plan on keeping it, but just saying.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I really loved my half doors on my old YJ, but I always wished for full doors in the winter and hard rain days.....

So I bought my JK with full doors, but sometimes I miss the half doors...especially in the summer....

After making both statements, I'm glad that I bought the full doors........
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Since the JK is the first jeep I've ever owned with power windows I have to say its super awesome to have full doors. I really wanted half doors with my TJ though.

That said I'm on the lookout for a set of bestop soft doors for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would save the hassle and get full doors. Like you said about the windows. It's a pain. Unlike the idea of the manual windows but the other day went and looked at a 2013 sport JKU and the doors were a royal pain and that was only after 5 minutes of looking and dealing with it.

I went to look at back seat and tried to open door. Locked lol. Tried to turn key in drivers door a few times in case it unlocks other doors like on my hyundai accent and nothing. It was a pain to reach behind seat and my arm wouldn't fit in between b pillar and seat. Tried to move seat forward and it's not like a car where the seat slide forward when the back is pushed forward. So you have to either lean and try to reach it from sitting inside which is really awkward or move the whole seat to unlock it.

In a JK it would be perfect. In a JKU it's a huge pain. I can see it getting old really fast. Especially with a family. The wife and I are practicing the family part so a power locks makes more sense for me.

I really like the idea of plain Jane but with most vehicles now having power locks and even power windows as a standard option it's hard to find plain Jane. And the thing was still gonna cost me $30000 out the door so...... I rather buy a 2 year old Sahara model. Just My honest opinion.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

I test drove the auto and manual last night. The manual was plain jane and had the manual locks and windows. The other sport we test drove had the automatic, power locks, rims, etc. I actually wanted to test out the manual locks and windows and I am thankful that it was as I imagined it. I am very accustom to older Jeeps. I understand that this is a 2013 and I want some modern conveniences like the connectivity package, but the auto locks and windows are not necessary IMO. I think that package is around $2300 for the auto locks, etc. I am 6'1 and can "easily" reach all the locks from the drivers seat - that was one thing I wanted to make sure before I made the decision one way or another. I figure I can trim the $2300 off and gives me room in my budget for the roughly $3,000 or so in 2.5" AEV lift, procal, 35" tires, and wheels.

Thanks for the helpful opinions on the half doors. I am definitely going with full doors and I can always buy some soft or tube half doors later down the road if I really want them.

Here is what I have come up with so far on what I want to order:
Black 2013 sport 4 door
Automatic
connectivity group
premium alpine sound
max tow - 3.73 gears
anti spin differential
2.5" lift with pro cal
35" tires
wheels

The only thing that leaves is whether I want the hard top or premium soft top - About a $500 upgrade for the hardtop over the premium soft top..... Part of me is leaning toward hard top now, but then I will probably have to buy hoist for the garage for easy removal...

Anyone have an opinion on hard top versus the soft top??? I know I will be buying a bikini top or some other type of top when I have the soft top or hard top off...
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post

The only thing that leaves is whether I want the hard top or premium soft top - About a $500 upgrade for the hardtop over the premium soft top..... Part of me is leaning toward hard top now, but then I will probably have to buy hoist for the garage for easy removal...

Anyone have an opinion on hard top versus the soft top??? I know I will be buying a bikini top or some other type of top when I have the soft top or hard top off...
The best option I have is the dual top pkg.

The softie comes on in May and then the hard top comes on in October.
Best of both worlds. Both super easy
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Get full doors and if its a must then also get a set of tub doors.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Tube doors are a waste. It's literally throwing money out the window. That's an awful recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

its a tough choice... i see you live in TN so the weather is pretty good year round and you can probably get away with leaving them off alot...? however when I had them i hated them. they are a pain to keep clean/they get all scratched up so easily. Since it gets so cold up here in the winter, when I would have to put them down they were all stiff and mine eventually cracked at the folding point. I really would never get them again, i didnt even want them but I was in a bind and needed a reliable DD and i bought the jeep before I even saw it, not knowing it had them.
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Get the half doors. If you don't like them, there are a million full door guys that will trade you in a heartbeat.

I sold my full doors, bought tube doors, and made them half doors with an exo skin. As spyder mentioned, straight up tube doors are stupid and serve no purpose...throw a skin on them, provided they're large enough to be skinned, and they'll keep wind out and heat in for winter wheeling. No purpose for a DD.
forumrunner_20130426_103905.jpg   forumrunner_20130426_103916.jpg  
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would recommend soft top to save money and shop around for a hard top on CL or classifieds.

I see tons in my area hard and soft. That's what she said! Sorry I had to
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

See I go the other way...don't get one with a soft top, sell the hard top and buy aftermarket soft, pocket the rest.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, it can get somewhat cold here in the winter, but it is nothing compared to living up north. I kept a bikini top, windjammer, and duster cover on year round on my YJ... it got chilly driving in the winter, but it was fun! I am leaning toward hard top and then maybe creating a combination top for spring and summer driving. I will mainly be driving with doors and top off 90% of time during spring/summer/fall and then I could throw the hard top on during the winter. I have a truck I can drive on rainy / nasty days when I don't want to fool with throwing the doors back on
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
I test drove the auto and manual last night. The manual was plain jane and had the manual locks and windows. The other sport we test drove had the automatic, power locks, rims, etc. I actually wanted to test out the manual locks and windows and I am thankful that it was as I imagined it. I am very accustom to older Jeeps. I understand that this is a 2013 and I want some modern conveniences like the connectivity package, but the auto locks and windows are not necessary IMO. I think that package is around $2300 for the auto locks, etc. I am 6'1 and can "easily" reach all the locks from the drivers seat - that was one thing I wanted to make sure before I made the decision one way or another. I figure I can trim the $2300 off and gives me room in my budget for the roughly $3,000 or so in 2.5" AEV lift, procal, 35" tires, and wheels.

Thanks for the helpful opinions on the half doors. I am definitely going with full doors and I can always buy some soft or tube half doors later down the road if I really want them.

Here is what I have come up with so far on what I want to order:
Black 2013 sport 4 door
Automatic
connectivity group
premium alpine sound
max tow - 3.73 gears
anti spin differential
2.5" lift with pro cal
35" tires
wheels

I went with no power group and wish I had it when I'm lazy. I can reach the window for my dog so its not a big deal and at $2300 saved I'm OK with it. Other adults can reach all windows and locks. I never lock my doors since I have my own garage and never leave anything in the Jeep. I went with the hardtop and wished I had a softtop so I bought an ORH fast back top. I then sold it two days later because of the wind noise and noise in general. Yes, the HT will require a hoist for storage and removal, it will be a PIA to remove sometimes and will require more thought before removing. However, it is much quieter than any soft top. I'm really glad I kept it. On a JKU I don't like the way the soft top looks.
dallasjetfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.