JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Will dealership install lift? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/will-dealership-install-lift-1553785/)

Mar0811 07-25-2013 11:55 PM

Will dealership install lift?

I am looking to buy a new 2014 Rubicon Unlimited at the end of the summer or early fall and wanted to get a lift on it, maybe 2-2.5". Would the dealer install it so the warranty is not voided if I do it? Does Jeep sell its own lifts? Sorry I am new to this. Have a Liberty and do not know a lot about technical stuff. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

wilgeno 07-26-2013 12:09 AM

The dealer I bought my JK from offered to install an AEV lift. I could buy it though them and they would install. In my opinion they charged too much so I opted not to have them do it. I'll find/buy my own lift kit and install it myself or have a friend that has his own shop install it.

Mar0811 07-26-2013 12:13 AM

But will that void the warranty? I know I can save $ by having a shop do the work but it's the warranty issue. If it was not new I would not be as concerned. Thanks!

1222 07-26-2013 02:45 AM

Yes the dealer will install a lift, also…

Some dealers will honor the Jeeps warranty if you have a lift installed by yourself or third party and it isn’t excessively tall. It would be best to talk it over with the service manager first to see if in fact they are “lift friendly”. Still, it’s not a guaranty unless it’s on paper which I doubt that would ever happen.
:cheers2:

JeepCares 07-26-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mar0811 (Post 15720079)
Does Jeep sell its own lifts?

Mopar does offer lift kits - both 2" and 4".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mar0811 (Post 15720117)
But will that void the warranty? I know I can save $ by having a shop do the work but it's the warranty issue. If it was not new I would not be as concerned. Thanks!

The "official" company wording:
Some modifications Do Not void the warranties but are not covered.

Certain changes that are made to a vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties.

Examples of some of these changes are:
• installing non-Chrysler parts, components, or equipment (such as a radio or speed control).
• using special non-Chrysler materials or additives.

The vehicle warranties do not cover any part that was not on the vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-Chrysler parts, components, equipment, materials, or additives. Performance or racing parts are considered to be non-Chrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by their use are not covered under the warranties.

Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
• installing accessories — except for genuine Chrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer.

Genuine Chrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealership at or prior to the time of sale to original purchaser are covered under the 3/36 basic limited manufacturers warranty. If installed after the time of original sale, all Chrysler / MOPAR accessories carry the parts warranty for that item.

• applying rustproofing or other protection products.

• changing the vehicle's configuration or dimensions, such as converting the vehicle into a limousine or food service vehicle; or using any refrigerant that Chrysler has not approved.

Modifications That WILL Void vehicle Warranties

• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the odometer will void your warranties, unless the repairing technician follows the legal requirements for repairing or replacing odometers.
• attaching any device that disconnects the odometer will also void the warranties.

Mar0811 07-26-2013 10:03 AM

Thanks! I appreciate all the info!

Butterbuddha 07-29-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCares (Post 15720996)
Mopar does offer lift kits - both 2" and 4".

The "official" company wording:

Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
• installing accessories — except for genuine Chrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer.

Genuine Chrysler / MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealership at or prior to the time of sale to original purchaser are covered under the 3/36 basic limited manufacturers warranty. If installed after the time of original sale, all Chrysler / MOPAR accessories carry the parts warranty for that item.

[/INDENT]

Your mileage may vary here. Some dealers will install lifts and such from specific, known-to-be-quality companies like AEV. It'll cost ya, but its professionally done and covered under warranty. We have another local dealer that sells some pre-modded heeps with Pro Comp equipment, but unsure if any of that stuff is warrantied.

Check with your local stealership.

skrach77 07-29-2013 10:33 PM

It is a federal law, I forget the name of it- but it states that unless the manufacture can PROVE that a modification caused the specific problem you are asking warranty to repair- they cannot deny the warranty based on the modification. And the burden of proof is on them to prove it did cause the problem- not up to you as the consumer to prove it did not.

Nubs68 07-30-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrach77 (Post 15733987)
It is a federal law, I forget the name of it- but it states that unless the manufacture can PROVE that a modification caused the specific problem you are asking warranty to repair- they cannot deny the warranty based on the modification. And the burden of proof is on them to prove it did cause the problem- not up to you as the consumer to prove it did not.

Yeah...good luck with that law. IF you have deeper pockets than the manufacturer for lawyer fees and you wish to take off multiple days from work to go to court you can believe this. I know. Been there done that. Would have been cheaper to just fix the truck out of pocket in the begining.

JoonHoss 07-30-2013 10:17 AM

most dealerships which sell (new) lifted vehicles are pretty good about warranty coverage. they want the return/ word of mouth coverage.

one thing to remember though, they typically make a pretty good mark-up on lift kits and wheels/tires. they also usually deal with a local supplier, and 'only' offer a limited selection of lift types/sizes. local Jeep dealership here sells a bunch of JKU's on their lot with a 4" lift and 35" Toyo open country tires on 18" fuel or rock star rims. they have a local tire/suspension shop do ALL the lifts, they are ALL the same and same size, the rims being the only difference. I'm guessing they do 3-4 a month (or more). everything is covered by the factory warranty

HTH :wave:

Hoss

73azbronco 07-30-2013 10:30 PM

Mopar sells teraflex lift kits as a mopar part number, its what I just went with, dealer bought, but dealer had a local specialty shop install.

aristobrat 08-01-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73azbronco (Post 15738279)
Mopar sells teraflex lift kits as a mopar part number, its what I just went with, dealer bought, but dealer had a local specialty shop install.

FWIW, when I looked a year or two ago, all of the Mopar lift part numbers started with "P", which I was told designated it as a Performance parts. Don't know if that's still the case.

Where that's important is per the JK factory warranty booklet (that JeepCares quoted from above), Mopar Performance parts aren't covered under the factory warranty.

Not saying that Mopar doesn't have a Mopar warranty for the parts that come with their lifts, just that the Jeep factory warranty doesn't cover those parts.

General rant --

An individual dealer may also step up and offer to warrantee any problems that you have with any brand of lift that they install. That's cool, but again, that's the individual dealers warrantee that's covering that, not the factory warranty. If you take your Jeep to another dealer (say you move across the country), that new dealer doesn't have to honor the deal that you had in place with your previous dealer.

Where I live, there are four or five major Jeep dealers. Two are complete Nazis when it comes to doing warranty work on a lifted Jeep. One tried to tell me that because my Jeep was lifted that a piece on my soft top that had fallen off wasn't covered under the warranty. WTF? When I mentioned that I was pretty sure they had to correlate the soft top issue as being directly caused by the lift, they hemmed and hawed and finally agreed to replace it. I guess I pissed them off because they made me wait three hours for a piece that literally pops on the soft top.

Another of the Jeep dealers out here has a service department that's run by a guy that is a big off-roader. He actually got the dealership to build an off-road course behind the dealership, with rock gardens, steep hill climbs, muddy hill climbs, frame twisters, etc. They open it a few times a year to the local Jeep clubs. Anyhow, this dealership behinds over backwards being accommodating when it comes to warrantee work on lifted Jeeps.

Anyhow, I guess the point I was making is that the factory warrantee lays the stuff out in black and white. Depending on which dealer you drive to in my area, you're likely to have very different experiences, even though it's written in black and white. So understand what the warranty actually says, so you know if a dealer is trying to blow smoke up your rear in order to get some extra cash out of you (either by denying work that should be done under the warranty, or trying to scare you into paying them $$$ to install your lift under some BS that "it doesn't void the factory warranty if they do it").

Milspec1 08-01-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrach77

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...s+Warranty+Act

Oh, first post here too, hooray!

skrach77 08-02-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milspec1

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...s+Warranty+Act

Oh, first post here too, hooray!

Yep- I think that's it

04WJfreedom 08-02-2013 03:37 PM

The jeep dealer here in Saco Maine has 2 lifted jeeps with all AEV 3.5" kits installed with AEV front and rear bumpers and a Ripp supercharger. They are asking $50k for the sport unlimited and $60k for the JKUR. Big bucks but they are under full warranty.

The time now is 06:49 AM.