Will dealer add cruise control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Will dealer add cruise control

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Will dealer add cruise control

In shopping for a Jeep all I really want is a 24s package 2 door. And I have seen some like this at dealers. The package doesn't include cruise control though. Could a dealer add cruise control to a vehicle that doesn't have it. I remember that on a TJ is was supposed to be pretty easy.

Unread 06-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I do see a kit on ebay to add it yourself. Seems to be a complete plug and play setup.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

don't waste money on paying for a dealership to install cruise control! With modern vehicles, there aren't too many mechanical systems left in them. Adding cruise control to your JK is extremely easy to do yourself even if you have very little knowledge or wrenching experience. Jeepsareus charges $170 shipped either through eBay or their site. There's a guy on eBay that was selling them for the best price, which is where I got my kit from. It's also called "speed control" too when you're searching. The install is pretty easy with the hardest part being the removal of the airbag. Find the shortest, stubby flat head screwdriver otherwise it's a pain to remove. It shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes even if you're taking your time.

I dug around and found a write-up someone did on here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...nstall-581279/
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you!
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I do see a kit on ebay to add it yourself. Seems to be a complete plug and play setup.
I just clicked on the listing and it doesn't look like a complete kit and it's priced a little high. That kit is missing the new steering collar you'll need which has the cutout for the cruise control stalk. Here's a listing from the guy I got my kit from.

Mopar Speed Control kit
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Slow_Lane
2010 JK Wrangler 

I negotiated my best prize on the jeep I wanted and then said oh wait it does not have cruise. I cant drive without cruise. They added it at no additional cost took them about an hour to install. Make your deal and then play dumb. I tend to blame things on my wife but whatever works.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Lane View Post
I negotiated my best prize on the jeep I wanted and then said oh wait it does not have cruise. I cant drive without cruise. They added it at no additional cost took them about an hour to install. Make your deal and then play dumb. I tend to blame things on my wife but whatever works.
I used the whole "my wife will let me buy the Rubicon today if and only if you make the deal I want."
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Same here, just negotiated it in at the end of the deal. Took an hour of my time for them to do it. They even fixed the tire size in the computer for me for free as I had already purchased new wheels & tires to replace the stock steelies.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Obviously talking the dealer into throwing it in is the best route to go. I wasn't able to, so that's why I went the install it myself route. It really is very easy to do yourself. The only problem is that you'll realize how easy it is to add things to the Jeep and then a few months later you'll be wondering how your wallet is empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
don't waste money on paying for a dealership to install cruise control! With modern vehicles, there aren't too many mechanical systems left in them. Adding cruise control to your JK is extremely easy to do yourself even if you have very little knowledge or wrenching experience. Jeepsareus charges $170 shipped either through eBay or their site. There's a guy on eBay that was selling them for the best price, which is where I got my kit from. It's also called "speed control" too when you're searching. The install is pretty easy with the hardest part being the removal of the airbag. Find the shortest, stubby flat head screwdriver otherwise it's a pain to remove. It shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes even if you're taking your time.

I dug around and found a write-up someone did on here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...nstall-581279/
, I like when my write ups are helpful.
. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Like previously stated...Super easy install. but deffinately try to get the dealer to throw it in...kinda after the bottom line price was figured.
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did anyone try the install on a 2010 ?
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yes, the install was a piece of cake. Took me about 20 minutes. Make sure and have one of the Z (oe S) shaped screwdrivers with flat head on one side. This makes the most difficult part of the project a SNAP. Dealer wanted 500.00 to install....what a rip. DIY, you'll be glad you did.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

S shaped screwdriver ?
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think he's refering to an angled screwdriver. That's what I used since I couldn't find my stubby.

Unread 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yes....was having a brainfart....I think it's actually called an offset screwdriver. Just make sure the head is lined up with the shaft. The above offsets you can't get good leverage (you're trying to pop up a hook that is under the cover/airbag. You want the kind where you can insert into the three holes in the cover, and push away from you (towards instrument cluster). The ones picture you have to try to leverage from the side, and its a beeeotch.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.