Will this center axles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Will this center axles?

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

Will this center axles?

I am planing on putting on a OME soon, and was wondering how to center it when I put adj. track bars front and rear.

Was wondering if I hang a plum line off the oil pan, frame, etc. to the axle and mark the axle at that point. Then, when I install the lift, all I would have to do is adj. the mark on the axle back up with the plum line hanging down and should be back at factory center! At least in my mine.

Well, does this sound like it will getr done?

GunDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

That should do it, If you have a $15 laser level that would to it too. I recommend getting it aligned at a reputable shop post lift. Tires are too darn $$$$ to skip this step in an attempt to save $50-$60.
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just remember that when you center the axle the Jeep needs to be sitting on the ground with the suspension settled in its rolling form.
I tried to do mine by figuring the track-bar length mathematically then I ended up using my precision eyeball for the final adjustment

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Plum off the fender.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Plum off the fender.
That's less precise than using a point on the frame and a consistent point on the axle.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's less precise than using a point on the frame and a consistent point on the axle.
Why? Fenders and tires are just as accurate as frame and axle, as long as your tires are the same size and your fenders are equal width. And, in all honesty you can only really get it good enough for government work by the time you get sick of adjusting the track bar a dozen times.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
\\WK//
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Copied this from another forum...

1. In order to set an adjustable front track bar, you will first need to determine how much your front axle is off by. To do this, firmly hold a carpenters level up against the sidewall of your driver side front tire making sure that it is aligned to the center of the wheel. Make sure that the bubble in the level is centered and then, using a tape measure, measure the distance between it and the edge of your fender flare (or other pre-determined point like the spring perch). If your level is making contact with a shoulder lug on your tire, be sure to make a note of it especially if the lugs are of different sizes or are located at different points along the edge of the tire and would influence your measurement. Repeat the process on the passenger side of your Jeep (again being aware of the shoulder lugs and how they might influence your measurements) and then calculate the difference between the two sides.
\\WK// is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by \\WK// View Post
Copied this from another forum...

1. In order to set an adjustable front track bar, you will first need to determine how much your front axle is off by. To do this, firmly hold a carpenters level up against the sidewall of your driver side front tire making sure that it is aligned to the center of the wheel. Make sure that the bubble in the level is centered and then, using a tape measure, measure the distance between it and the edge of your fender flare (or other pre-determined point like the spring perch). If your level is making contact with a shoulder lug on your tire, be sure to make a note of it especially if the lugs are of different sizes or are located at different points along the edge of the tire and would influence your measurement. Repeat the process on the passenger side of your Jeep (again being aware of the shoulder lugs and how they might influence your measurements) and then calculate the difference between the two sides.

I like my ideal better, seems much easier. And then yes, will get it aligned.
Unread 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is one of those things where close is close enough!
Just remember that no matter how perfectly centered the axles are to start with they will be off center in opposite directions as soon as you add any weight to the vehicle. This could be fuel, passengers, groceries, mud, etc.
If you center with a full tank of gas and a driver and one passenger in the front seat then this will be the only configuration in which it will be centered.
The best you could do would be to center them for the average load that you will be driving with.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

For the rear I used a sharpie marker and marked the center of the frame and center of the axle then used a plumb bob to get them lined up. For the front I made a tool to hang a plumb bob from above the engine compartment. Here is a link to the post I did when I built it. I hope it helps.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/f...-tool-1114037/
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
For the rear I used a sharpie marker and marked the center of the frame and center of the axle then used a plumb bob to get them lined up. For the front I made a tool to hang a plumb bob from above the engine compartment. Here is a link to the post I did when I built it. I hope it helps.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/f...-tool-1114037/

Dirtman, I have not looked yet what I can hang a plum off on the front yet, but that will give me options when I get to that point!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.