Will 36x14.50R15 tires work on my JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Will 36x14.50R15 tires work on my JK?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
pbuchanan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Will 36x14.50R15 tires work on my JK?

Does anyone here have experience with going to 14.50" wide tires on a JK Rubicon?

I currently have stock 31x10R17 tires on the stock rims which I believe have 6 1/4" back spacing. I am putting a 3.5 inch lift and want to go with 36x14.50R15 tires and I have found some steel 15" rims that will clear the brake calipers and have 4" back spacing. The new tires should be 2 1/4" wider on each side and the back spacing difference is by the same amount so I'm hoping it will clear.

Does anyone have experience doing this? I want to make sure I am right about this.

(Also does anyone know where I might be able to find 15x10 inch aluminum rims in a 5 on 5 pattern that will clear the JK brakes? I found the steel ones but would love aluminum if there are any out there.)

pbuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
topalmer4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I dont have any experience with the jk but if your running tires that size you need at least some better brakes. Just my .01
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
saddis
2003 WJ 

You'll need a lot of BS on those wheels with a tire that wide and only certain 15" wheels fit a JK. There was a thread a few days ago asking for all known 15" wheels by manufacturer that would fit a JK.
Unread 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Back space has nothing to do with rim size width in respect to inside fit. Excepting things like calipers. So a 15x8 and 15x10 rim with both at 4" back space have the same inside clear. That extra 2 inches is on the OUT side. so you added 4"inches of width as compared to say a 35x12.5 to your Jeep add the 3 inches of back spacing. so your 7"wider now. Thats more width than most go in hieght.

Why are going 14.5 wide, unless you are running say 40"s. But 36? very hard on the axles bearings C"s ball joints stearing the list grows. MPG is out the door with 14.5 wide. odd choice for sure.

I run 15" on my Jk with 35"s. Steel though. as hard as i am on the rim seem a total waist to put an money in rims
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
pbuchanan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, what I am worried about is will the 14.5 inch tires run on the inside. With 4" back spacing that should push me out 2 1/4 inch out and then the tire will be 2 1/4 inches on each side. Or am I wrong about that calculation?

I want to get as much rubber as I can for bogging around in the mud but if this gets too complicated I may just save money and effort and just do 36x12.50R16s and then I should be fine on 16 x 8 rims with 4.5 inches of back spacing without even cutting it close.
pbuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back spacing , rim size , rims , tire choice , tire clearance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.