Will a 2009 Rubi soft top fit my Sport? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Will a 2009 Rubi soft top fit my Sport?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will a 2009 Rubi soft top fit my Sport?

I just bought my 2012 Sport today so I don't know much about the specs on JK's yet. I've been a TJ guy up until now.

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a 2009 Rubicon soft top but I need to act quickly. Will this top fit my 2012 Sport?

MLaborde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes, so long as you get the 2009 door surrounds it came with.
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Yes, so long as you get the 2009 door surrounds it came with.
thank you!
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Keep in mind that if your Jeep did not come with a soft top, you'll need the roll cage brackets that the frame connects to. They're unnecessarily expensive direct from Mopar, but you might be able to find them online somewhere cheaper.
Unread 05-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Keep in mind that if your Jeep did not come with a soft top, you'll need the roll cage brackets that the frame connects to. They're unnecessarily expensive direct from Mopar, but you might be able to find them online somewhere cheaper.
My JK has a soft top with clear windows. My old TJ has tinted windows.

One more question.

The guy now say he thinks it's a top for an Unlimited but he's not sure because he's "not a Jeep guy". The windows are tinted, though.

Will the windows from an Unlimited top fit a Sport top? Sounds like it will. Just making sure.

EDIT: Actually, on 2nd thought, it sounds like they won't fit if the door surrounds are different...
Unread 05-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

No, the Unlimited sides won't work on a 2 door.

There's a simple way to determine what kind of top it is, besides the length. The Unlimited side windows don't have the diagonal material line that goes through the back corner that runs parallel to the frame.

Unread 05-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
AngryRedBird

@MLaborde

There seems to be some confusing answers.. first of all there was a time frame in the build of the jeep wrangler which they redesigned the door surrounds.. that time frame is between 07 - 09 and just to reconfirm that your installing a soft from a 2dr on to a 2dr.. and although the rear retaining bar are all the same.. the surrounds are not.. Thou there is a company which has a universal surround but I can't verify this.

Although the fabric itself and much of the frame will work.. some of the hardware components may need to be altered or adjusted.

Mind you if your looking at parts off a JKU for your JK.. someone above mentioned that this would not work.. because the side windows (assuming that's what your referring to) are not designed the same, thou the rear window is.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. If anyone needs a top (with frame) off of an Unlimited Rubi, go on FB to East Texas Classifieds group. The guy is in Lufkin, TX & wants $125 and could go lower. He has pics, even of the box. Heckuva deal.

If I lived closer I would grab it just to resell.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.