why wont my jeep accept a sub and amp? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > why wont my jeep accept a sub and amp?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

why wont my jeep accept a sub and amp?

Hey guys im having a hard time finding out whats wrong when i wire my sub and amp. I have the stock head unit. i taped into the speaker bar and the 12v outlet. Everything works but when i go and shut the jeep down it stays running, engine light comes on as does the security alarm light, any thoughts?

Littlefootjk15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
arbakken

Need more info. What equipment did you install, and where did you get the power from? I assume your amp accepts high level inputs and you got those by tapping into the sound bar.
arbakken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 03:40 AM   #3
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
Need more info. What equipment did you install, and where did you get the power from? I assume your amp accepts high level inputs and you got those by tapping into the sound bar.
Power is from the battery and its a 12" kenwood sub and a 1000watt amp. 2 channel
Unread 08-27-2015, 03:41 AM   #4
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

All kicker wiring
Unread 08-27-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What are you using the 12v outlet power for? Your rem wire to turn your amp on and off? If so I think that's most likely what's messing with your can-bus system and keeping your amp on try wiring the rem from the battery with and aux switch to turn the amp on and off I know it's a pain but it works temporarily

Sent from a jeepers iPhone
Digger838 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger838 View Post
What are you using the 12v outlet power for? Your rem wire to turn your amp on and off? If so I think that's most likely what's messing with your can-bus system and keeping your amp on try wiring the rem from the battery with and aux switch to turn the amp on and off I know it's a pain but it works temporarily

Yes to turn the amp on and off, any chance it could be the wiring thats taped into the speaker bar?
Unread 08-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
arbakken

Isolate the systems. I'd start by disconnecting the remote turn on wire. See if that fixes your problem. If not, hook it back up and disconnect the sound bar wiring
arbakken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlefootjk15
Yes to turn the amp on and off, any chance it could be the wiring thats taped into the speaker bar?
so when you say "speaker bar" do you mean the speakers in the upper sound bar? I have yet to dive into my stereo on my 14' yet but have been into a lot of sound system and stock stereos. Or are you just taking hi levels from out of the back of the stock deck? Wither way that wouldn't be the reason for the system not to turn off or for the engine light to come on, I would imagine that taping into the 12 aux power which is as I do believe incorporated into the can-bus electrical system of the jeeps, I would get out if that first. I'm sure they make a plug and play adaptor to get a rem wire out of the factory deck

Sent from a jeeper
Unread 08-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
so when you say "speaker bar" do you mean the speakers in the upper sound bar? I have yet to dive into my stereo on my 14' yet but have been into a lot of sound system and stock stereos. Or are you just taking hi levels from out of the back of the stock deck? Wither way that wouldn't be the reason for the system not to turn off or for the engine light to come on, I would imagine that taping into the 12 aux power which is as I do believe incorporated into the can-bus electrical system of the jeeps, I would get out if that first. I'm sure they make a plug and play adaptor to get a rem wire out of the factory deck

Sent from a jeeper
Yeah i taped into the speakers in the sound bar, also ive tried a mini add a fuse that did the same thing also
Unread 08-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Also just making something clear, the engine stays running, not the system
Unread 08-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also just making something clear, the engine stays running, not the system
OH! I didn't understand that part, how do you shut if off? Ummm that almost sounds like you tapped into a wire that has something to do with the ignition/key switch electronics?

As for the fuse? Where did you put that?

Sent from a jeeper
Unread 08-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Just pull the k10 fuse, shuts it off, and i added the mini add a fuse to the fuse that said radio
Unread 08-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Im not really sure where it would be if it was linked to the ignition
Unread 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #14
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just pull the k10 fuse, shuts it off, and i added the mini add a fuse to the fuse that said radio
Ok I think I understand what your doing now you took one of those jumper fuses that has a little tail on it and a place for the original fuse on top, and ran that to your amp for the rem wire, am I rite? I guess the only thing I can think of now is that it might not be the correct fuse position ? Just a guess

Unread 08-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
Littlefootjk15
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok I think I understand what your doing now you took one of those jumper fuses that has a little tail on it and a place for the original fuse on top, and ran that to your amp for the rem wire, am I rite? I guess the only thing I can think of now is that it might not be the correct fuse position ? Just a guess

Yup your right, but ive tried two different locations with that and same result. I dont think its gonna work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.