Why not a SCUBA Tank for tire inflation? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why not a SCUBA Tank for tire inflation?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Arb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Why not run an ARB compressor with the tire inflation kit that way you never run out. I have the arb tire inflation kit. It comes with 20' of hose, which is almost long enough to reach the tires of my trailer.
Is that the portable compressor? Or the one for the lockers&tires?

DBA2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Really? I did not know this. And since I never weighed it empty, I had no way to determine the amount still in there. Good to know
Just went out to double check the "code", look for "TW" as in Tank Weight followed by numbers. I have a 20lb tank that weighs 25.0lbs The side of mine says "TW25.0LBS". The guy at the local AirGas company says they are required to stamp this into the sides of all new tanks.
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

The #1 argument I can make for CO2 vs SCUBA is that SCUBA a whole lot of energy sitting in the trunk. Especially when you consider the odds of rolling over etc are there.

Yes I know both types of tanks are tough as nails but if you manage to bust open a CO2 tank Its not going to go off like a bomb or worse a rocket.
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC_FAN View Post
The #1 argument I can make for CO2 vs SCUBA is that SCUBA a whole lot of energy sitting in the trunk. Especially when you consider the odds of rolling over etc are there.

Yes I know both types of tanks are tough as nails but if you manage to bust open a CO2 tank Its not going to go off like a bomb or worse a rocket.
Ah, yes it will. There is about 800 to 900 psi in a liquid CO2 tank. That's more energy than I want to see get loose.
It's most often the valve on top that gets broken off.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Ah, yes it will. There is about 800 to 900 psi in a liquid CO2 tank. That's more energy than I want to see get loose.
I've seen both a small CO2 tank explode and a small air tank explode in person and I would much rather have the CO2. The CO2 tank basically spun a little in place and made everything around it cold. The air tank on the other hand was flying around in the air for a good 5-10 seconds. (I don't remember exactly how long, time slows down when something like that happens...)
. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #21
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTheOnew View Post
I've seen both a small CO2 tank explode and a small air tank explode in person and I would much rather have the CO2. The CO2 tank basically spun a little in place and made everything around it cold. The air tank on the other hand was flying around in the air for a good 5-10 seconds. (I don't remember exactly how long, time slows down when something like that happens...)
You have your experience, I have mine.
I saw a guy filling a CO2 bottle for a life raft. He forgot to close the bottle's valve when he disconnected the fill line. It discharged, came out of the chain vice, flew through the dropped ceiling, hit the concrete floor above and took several chunks of concrete out as it kept trying to get to the second floor.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
Just went out to double check the "code", look for "TW" as in Tank Weight followed by numbers. I have a 20lb tank that weighs 25.0lbs The side of mine says "TW25.0LBS". The guy at the local AirGas company says they are required to stamp this into the sides of all new tanks.
I just found this website that explains what all the marking on the tank mean

http://www.catalinacylinders.com/markco2.html

my tank's empty weight is 14.1 lbs

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #23
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
actually, even more psi than that, depending on temps.

* When a fully charged 20 lb. CO2 cylinder, warms up to room temperature (70F), the pressure inside the cylinder increases to 837 psi.

* A fully charged CO2 cylinder at 87.9F will have an internal pressure of approximately 1100 psi.

* At 120F the same cylinder will have an internal pressure of nearly 2000 psi.

* At 155F the same cylinder will reach a pressure of 3000 psi, a pressure great enough activate the safety venting

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I use CO2 and it also allows me to use it for MIG welding in CO2 mode - just an additional benefit of using it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #25
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I use CO2 and it also allows me to use it for MIG welding in CO2 mode - just an additional benefit of using it.
Got a better use....When Mine is in the garage, I use it to provide pressure for the Kegorator!!

Lets see an ARB compressor do that!!!!
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #26
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Plus, the CO2 will put out enough air to re-seat the bead if necessary - yet to see a compressor do that.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
Got a better use....When Mine is in the garage, I use it to provide pressure for the Kegorator!!

Lets see an ARB compressor do that!!!!
brett- your pm's are full.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #28
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

SOOOO with Co2 we can:
  • drink a cold beer to get over being pissed about the stuff we broke
  • weld said broke ***** back together
  • re-seat the bead we broke when we broke the other stuff
  • re-inflate the tire
  • drive the rest of the way to the river and inflate the raft and drink more cold beer

did I miss anything??
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #29
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
brett- your pm's are full.
WOW...5 PM's and it is full!! Guess I should splurge for a paid membership
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Scuba tanks will require scuba certs before any GOOD scuba shop will fill it. FACT.

CO2 isn't as flammable as an oxygen tank would be. That said, standard Scuba tanks are basically regular breathing air, unless you decide to use a Nitrox mix with a higher percentage of oxygen.

I have a 10 lb CO2 tank, but I scuba dive as well. I would rather keep my scuba tanks for scuba and my CO2 for offroading and other things.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.