Why not a SCUBA Tank for tire inflation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why not a SCUBA Tank for tire inflation?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
medcop
2008 JK Wrangler 

Why not a SCUBA Tank for tire inflation?

I dive, dive alot actually, technical, Rebreather, Cave...so on.

I have several tanks around that just sit not being used. I see all the products for using CO2 for tire inflation.

Well, an AL80 SCUBA tank actually holds 77 cubic feet of air at 3000psi. I have an adapter that plugs into a inflator hose of my first stage regulator to air tires. However, I have never used it to inflate a tire.

Someone want to do the math and tell me how many tires can be filled with 77cubic feet of air at 3000psi?

Heck to keep size down an AL40 holds 40cu ft of air at 3000psi.

I could do the math, but how many cu feet does a stock 32" Rubi tire hold at say 35psi?

Thanks

medcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
nukemustang
2009 JK Wrangler 

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...ech-brief.html

I think it talks about various sizes in the reading on this page

Tim

Last edited by nukemustang; 06-22-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: stupid urls
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A SCUBA tank will work, with a regulator.

I use an SCBA tank with a welding regulator @ 2200psi. I'm not sure how many tires I can fill though, but it does the job great. I am going to switch over to a 4500psi tank in the near future. (smaller tank and more pressure... its a no brainer)

Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
SPECIALKAY28
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tank looks awesome! I am going to use a scuba tank myself. Do you know how much a new scuba tank costs new?
SPECIALKAY28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have no idea. All I payed for was the regulator, and thread adapter from the welding shop. I got the tank free from the firehouse. Also where I'm going to get the 4500psi tank from. Well as soon as the Chief remembers to get it to me.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #6
gmuddy
2009 JK Wrangler 

SCUBA tanks run about $120 the regulator in the picture will run about the same. Before you go investing in these items, find out where you can have them filled, most dive shops require you to have divers certification before they will fiull them. You may find a welding shop that will fill them. Just thought you should have a heads up before you invest any money.

Good luck
gmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Muggsie
2002 WJ 

Most good paintball pro shops should be able to fill your 3000 and 4500 tanks as long as they are not going to be used for consumption.
The reason most guys use a co2 tank is, co2 is a very cold liquid and expands into a gas as it warms so it keeps replenishing itself from a liquid to a pressurized gas as it is used. And you get more volume from co2.
Muggsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmuddy View Post
SCUBA tanks run about $120 the regulator in the picture will run about the same.
OUCH!!!

Here's my Co2 tank

Tank = $85 (http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...anks/co2.shtml)
Regulator = $38 (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm)
30ft hose = $38 (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm)

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
How many tires (what size tires) can you fill per tank?

I just had one of those, hmmm moments. I have a 10LB tank that I haven't needed for a couple years and it might look good in Rescue Green in the back of the 'ol JK.
. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTheOnew View Post
How many tires (what size tires) can you fill per tank?

I just had one of those, hmmm moments. I have a 10LB tank that I haven't needed for a couple years and it might look good in Rescue Green in the back of the 'ol JK.
I've never pushed my luck to see how many fills I can get out of it.

I have 35's, I run them at 10-15psi on the trail, and 30psi aired up. I have heard that I can get 4 complete air-ups from a tank. But I have always refilled it after 2 complete air-ups. It only costs me $10 to fill the tank. So I would rather be safe than sorry.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I've never pushed my luck to see how many fills I can get out of it.

I have 35's, I run them at 10-15psi on the trail, and 30psi aired up. I have heard that I can get 4 complete air-ups from a tank. But I have always refilled it after 2 complete air-ups. It only costs me $10 to fill the tank. So I would rather be safe than sorry.
I started weighing my tank before and after each trip and when i know it is getting close to empty just so I dont run out. The weight of your empty tank is stamped near the neck.
I run 12 PSI on the trail and 27-28 on the street. I use 2lbs each time to fill all 4 35's I have not measuredd it with the 37's though.
6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggsie View Post
Most good paintball pro shops should be able to fill your 3000 and 4500 tanks as long as they are not going to be used for consumption.
The reason most guys use a co2 tank is, co2 is a very cold liquid and expands into a gas as it warms so it keeps replenishing itself from a liquid to a pressurized gas as it is used. And you get more volume from co2.
All the liquid CO2 I have seen was at ambient temp, and would cool down as it expands with use.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
The weight of your empty tank is stamped near the neck.
Really? I did not know this. And since I never weighed it empty, I had no way to determine the amount still in there. Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_f70 View Post
I use 2lbs each time to fill all 4 35's I have not measuredd it with the 37's though.
Also good to know considering I'm on 35's. So I can get 4 complete air-ups with some CO2 to spare with my 10lb tank.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why not run an ARB compressor with the tire inflation kit that way you never run out. I have the arb tire inflation kit. It comes with 20' of hose, which is almost long enough to reach the tires of my trailer.
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Why not run an ARB compressor with the tire inflation kit that way you never run out. I have the arb tire inflation kit. It comes with 20' of hose, which is almost long enough to reach the tires of my trailer.
CO2 is faster, won't overheat, and can power air tools.

But most important- I get this cool looking tank mounted in the back of my JK

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.