Why not just order an X? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why not just order an X?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Why not just order an X?

If I were going to do a 3" lift, regear to 4.56 or 4.88, and put 35s on a JK Unlimited, why wouldn't I just buy an X instead of a Rubi?

If I regear to 4.56 or 4.88, don't I have to buy aftermarket selectable lockers anyway? Or, would I be able to use the Rubi lockers after the regear?

With a 3" lift on a JK Unlimited X, can't I get away without installing a SYE and longer driveshaft?

Thanks.

planman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
2K1TJ

You should be able to reuse the Rubi lockers when re-gearing to 4.56's/4.88's, but don't quote me on that.

From what I've read, a 3" kit shouldn't need longer shafts. And the JK uses fixed yokes, i.e. no sye necessary.
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

-You won't have the stronger 44's with the X.
-You won't be under any warranty
-It'll cost you a lot more to build an Rubicon-ish-X than just to buy a Rubi outright.

But if youre under budget and building in small phases, maybe the X is right for you.
Unread 10-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Read:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/modify-upgrade-rubicon-327880/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/whats-advantage-328418/
Unread 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark
-You won't be under any warranty
-It'll cost you a lot more to build an Rubicon-ish-X than just to buy a Rubi outright.

But if youre under budget and building in small phases, maybe the X is right for you.
Don't forget the 4:1 t'case. Plus everything is rolled into your car payment, not your credit card payment like it would be if you bought an X and then had to go buy all the other upgrades out of pocket.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman
If I were going to do a 3" lift, regear to 4.56 or 4.88, and put 35s on a JK Unlimited, why wouldn't I just buy an X instead of a Rubi?

If I regear to 4.56 or 4.88, don't I have to buy aftermarket selectable lockers anyway? Or, would I be able to use the Rubi lockers after the regear?

With a 3" lift on a JK Unlimited X, can't I get away without installing a SYE and longer driveshaft?

Thanks.
Do you really want front locker in the 30? With 44 sit hould be OK. With 4:1 transfer - you could get away with running 35" on 4.1 gears. And electronic sway bar disconnect (though it remain to be seen how reliable it is) looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread - as you now can run both open and connected on the same trail...

I bet that just getting a stock Ruby, maybe some minor lift to fit 33- 35, and not doing pretty much anything else will get you as far on the trail, or farther, then your intended setup and will cost you less, and will be under warranty, and with a better resale. Considering that you could take away and sell your 32" MT that comes on the Rubi, I just can not see how you could beat the factory setup starting from X.

In fact - you could just hit the trails without doing ANYTHING, and see how it goes, and it may be just good, and then just replace what breaks, wears out...
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
chris269

warrenty

Am I wrong or don't you lose your warrenty as soon as you lift it.
chris269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris269
Am I wrong or don't you lose your warrenty as soon as you lift it.
Not all of it. Only for the parts that they can prove had been affected by the lift.
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
Do you really want front locker in the 30?
Why not? The 30's in our XJ and TJ are holding up just fine to low gears, lockers, and 35's. A lot depends on your wheeling/driving style.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Why not?
Well, I guess in this guess my point was - because you can get a 44 with a nice locker from the factory for not that large of a price differential.
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
Well, I guess in this guess my point was - because you can get a 44 with a nice locker from the factory for not that large of a price differential.
Ah, ok, totally agree with you on that. Rubicon is definitely the way to go. But for those folks that for whatever reason choose not to get a Rubicon, locking the D30 isn't that big of an issue.

Unread 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
2K1TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark
I wan thinking about a 4 dr. That's what I have (d44 in the rear) Forgot that the d35 is still standard on the 2 drs.
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
locking the D30 isn't that big of an issue.
And for milder trail use, it is less needed now, with the electronic brake actuated traction control available, you could get by quite a lot with that and a rear locker...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.