Why no snow chains on a Sahara or Rubicon? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why no snow chains on a Sahara or Rubicon?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
JeepNJenn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2k View Post
I think I will get some chains for Rubicon because I might want to go someplace where the chains are required, like http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm and I am sure there are some mountain passes that require chains at times and the law will not care if you have a Jeep and correct tire pressure or not.
I was concerned when I was at Yellowstone earlier this fall and there were signs that said snow tires only sometimes they said chains only. Neither were required. As a matter of fact, they had those signs up when the roads were either bare or just lightly dusted. I can't speak for Yosemite, by the mountain passes inside of Yellowstone (Craig Pass, Dunraven) were not all that intimidating compared to other mountain passes. It seemed like if conditions got horrible, you could go slowly and be safe.

That being said, I might pick chains in the event I am in a state that requires them on certain roads or during storms so I don't get cited. I would imagine the determination between airing down and chains would depend on what the road conditions are and what kind of snow/ice is present.

I found my JK BFG KMs handled a fair amount of snow in the mountains of W MD/WV pretty decently. I would love to have more opportunities to play in the snow with my JK.

2011 Sahara JKU - my first Jeep!
JeepNJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Get tires with a snowflake on the side, and any old pair of chains hanging around, and you'll never need to actually put the chains on the Jeep in California. At the chain control area you just hold up the chains and point to the snowflake on your tire (that signifies it's snow-rated, like a BFG AT) and you're fine.

I investigated putting chains on my Jeep, I happened to have some chains that were supposedly the right size from another vehicle. They were low profile chains and they looked like there'd be enough clearance except maybe when flexed out -- if they'd fit on my tire to begin with. They didn't fit, even though the package said they were supposed to fit my size tire. The big sidewall blocks on the BFG KM defeated it. Apparently tire chains aren't designed to consider weird stuff sticking out the side of tires, who woulda thunk it? So anyhow, I have a set of chains to carry in my Jeep in case I hit a chain control area, and that's all I need in California (if I put snow-rated tires on it anyhow) .
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlago View Post
What are chains for?

What is this snow u speak of?
I know. I was at the store today and they had snow shovels for sale. I live in Texas. And not the part that gets snow.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.