Why no snow chains on a Sahara or Rubicon? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why no snow chains on a Sahara or Rubicon?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlago View Post
What are chains for?

What is this snow u speak of?
It's that white cap on the mountain over your shoulder

'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm with Jim on this one.. Good tires and low pressure will work better.. You can use wheel spin to your advantage but not with chains..

No chains, no lockers, just good tires. BTW this is drift snow not powder..
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure what the deal is here. I'm guessing the "no chain" guys don't have chains. I've used them to go where people haven't gone all winter. There is absoultly NO way a rig with out snow chains will go as far as a rig with snow chains. Now, I'm not talking to wal mart, I'm talking up the mountain. I mean, I've been aired down, gotten stuck, chained up and drove straight through. There is absolutely no comparison.

I'm talking about real chains. These chains weigh about 150 pounds and they're made out of a Boron alloy.

http://www.tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

V-bars all the way. Night and day difference, our club does runs where chains are part of the minimum requirements.

Next year I'll be running them on all 4 on any winter run.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just watched your video. You had trouble through the little snow bank at the beginning. There was barely enough snow for your diff to leave a mark and you are clawing through an inch at a time! Just for the heck of it next time lower your tire pressure and try it. What do you have to loose. If it doesn't work, throw the chains on.
Ya, I have chains and when you get over 2ft of dense snow they just dig you in and get you high centered. Just like a big mud hole. You need floatation when the snow gets deep. As for running chains, if you're gonna run them at least put them on all 4. Running them only on the front is like running with the back driveshaft off..
The only guys I know that run front chains only are the loggers who run the back roads and don't feel like putting on a full set of chains.
Don't get me wrong, Chains have there place, on a tractor, or snow plow, icey with moderate snow, but not in deep snow.

V bars if you want real chains http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

I use chains on all 4 wheels when it gets really gnarly.

It works when nothing else will.

As a matter of fact, a 4 door JKU with chains on all 4 is one of the best vehicles in deep snow that I've owned.

I'm in my 40's, numerous Blazers, a bronco, a yj, a dodge 4x4 pup, an old ford pup, and a Chevy 4x4 van included, but none have been as competent as the 4dr jk with chains.

Ps... You both are right. Lowering tire pressure make a world of difference. Also, here in Oregon if it snows, there more than likely ice underneath.
Anywhoo.... Air down - good. But, I also love putting chains on all 4 wheels and letting the Jeep shine!
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

If I had to guess, it's probably a CYA so they don't get lawsuits from people scratching up the finish on the alloy wheels.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
WvTaco
2011 WK 

u dont need chains in that first vid, lower pressure and more throttle

like this

36's at 4 psi and bead locks, others at 8-10 non bead locks.

the engine cutting is the rev limiter.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
DrHolliday

2011 JK Wrangler 

I've done both air down, and chains. When it gets bad I prefer chains b/c when you hit ice under the snow they are the only thing that will grab.

The only down side to chains is you can't flex as much without rubbing. Even with the Sway bar connected my rear chains hit the rear bumper.

Aired down and floating on the snow can work, but chains will have you pushing snow with your bumper.

My favorite vehicle in the snow though is my Chevy 2500 Diesel. The weight is the savior there, sinks to the bottom and keeps pushing (I won't climb a mountain with it though, the Jeep is for off roading).

My build thread
DrHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #25
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
u dont need chains in that first vid, lower pressure and more throttle

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekn0c...yer_detailpage

36's at 4 psi and bead locks, others at 8-10 non bead locks.

the engine cutting is the rev limiter.

Oly chit! That was seriously epic. Being a snow dude my whole life, I've never seen it done quite like that. Serious hi-fives
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #26
misfit1981
2012 JK Wrangler 

'12 JK Rubicon Factory 17's

I just put 1.5" Spidertrax spacers on (looks much better - quick fix until new wheels/tires). I would assume with the extra room that chains would be ok...
misfit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

just remember chains do not rub they tear stuff apart when they "rub". More backspace no issues. off road UP hill chains are needed on flats sure you can just power it, but real trails that have camber or steep stuff 4x4 with chains on all 4 is like a tank.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #28
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What are chains for?

God kisses the earth with a velvety white substance, only occasionally and only in parts of the earth He most treasures.

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #29
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I think I will get some chains for Rubicon because I might want to go someplace where the chains are required, like http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm and I am sure there are some mountain passes that require chains at times and the law will not care if you have a Jeep and correct tire pressure or not.
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What are chains for?

You know, that white stuff on the ground that you see in post cards.
I hear it is very cold. Also, I hear the yellow stuff tastes terrible!
It looks like this:
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.