JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Why no snow chains on a Sahara or Rubicon? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/why-no-snow-chains-sahara-rubicon-1323014/)

Karl 02-01-2012 10:17 PM

Why no snow chains on a Sahara or Rubicon?

The owner's manual says snow chains may be used on a JK but not on the Sahara or Rubicon models. Why is that?

I test fitted chains (cables, actually) to my 2012 Rubicon, and they seem to fit. I don't see where they are likely to rub anywhere, but perhaps I'm overlooking something. (I'm working on the presumption that the chains will be used on pavement only, so minimal flexing.)

ronjenx 02-01-2012 10:32 PM

This is from the 2012 Owner's Manual:

"TIRE CHAINS
Tire chains may be installed on all models except the
Sahara and Rubicon. Install chains on rear tires only.
Follow these recommendations to guard against damage
and excessive tire and chain wear:
Use chains on P225/75R16 rear tires only. P255/75R17,
P255/70R18, and LT255/75R17 tires do not provide
adequate clearance.
"

The Sahara and Rubicon do not come with the smaller tires.

SubAtomicGenius 02-01-2012 11:03 PM

...because Rubicons are capable without chains and Saharas will beat up the mall parking lots with them on.

:longtongue:

j/k

i82much 02-01-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jezzalachis (Post 12971793)
...because Rubicons are capable without chains and Saharas will beat up the mall parking lots with them on.

:longtongue:

j/k

Chains are awesome. Don't let anybody kid you, there is NOTHING you can do on rubber, or even studs for that matter, that compares to a real set of heavy-duty V-bar chains.

As for the JK, I really don't get it. As best I can tell, maybe Jeep was concerned about people putting chains on and articulating the suspension too much? I agree, I have a '12 and it looks to me like the chains would fit just fine.

I think my plan next winter is to (1) stud some new all-terrains and run them as winter tires and (2) install wheel spacers. If the going gets really bad, the spacers should get the chains out far enough not to have any issues. I don't want to lift my Jeep (yes I just said that!)

Charles 02-02-2012 12:44 AM

I run them. They tell you that because at full articulation at full turn, they may rub somewhere. Just make sure they clear. I agree, if you're in deep snow, you can't beat a true chain. I've had other Rubicon's behind me struggling while I was driving like I was on blacktop.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1326733746

SRM 02-02-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 12971683)
This is from the 2012 Owner's Manual:

"TIRE CHAINS
Tire chains may be installed on all models except the
Sahara and Rubicon. Install chains on rear tires only.
Follow these recommendations to guard against damage
and excessive tire and chain wear:
Use chains on P225/75R16 rear tires only. P255/75R17,
P255/70R18, and LT255/75R17 tires do not provide
adequate clearance.
"

The Sahara and Rubicon do not come with the smaller tires.

It's not limited to the Sahara and Rubicon. If you have a Sport S, it comes standard with the P255/75R17 tires.

JIMBOX 02-02-2012 08:06 AM

:D Heh Heh, I've gotta/had automatics and never needed chains--

Now if you have/did have to deal with miles of "ICE", it woulda been different, but

With air pressure and an Auto--you can go just about anywhere--without STUCK !

:tea::rofl: JIMBO

Charles 02-02-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 12972911)

Now if you have/did have to deal with miles of "ICE", it woulda been different, but

Chains are very handy in off-camber situations too. They are especially helpful in the mountain snow that is more of a block of ice from freezing and thawing all winter .

mattlago 02-02-2012 08:17 AM

What are chains for?

What is this snow u speak of?

Apostle 02-02-2012 08:54 AM

Chains may rub, but there are also cables. sit alot lower and work fairly well. more for ice then snow though, imo

pentastarguy 02-02-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 12972911)

you have changed air pressure for snow?

Charles 02-02-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentastarguy (Post 12975548)
you have changed air pressure for snow?

I'm of the same mind, once the tire is surrounded by the surface it's adhering too there is probably little difference. I guess the argument is that the contact patch with the ground increases.

Jim, just for your situational awareness, here I am clawing through snow. It wouldn't go anywhere without chains in this kind of snow. There are situations where chains are essential.

JIMBOX 02-02-2012 03:40 PM

:D Suit yourself--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 12975566)
I'm of the same mind, once the tire is surrounded by the surface it's adhering too there is probably little difference. I guess the argument is that the contact patch with the ground increases.

Jim, just for your situational awareness, here I am clawing through snow. It wouldn't go anywhere without chains in this kind of snow. There are situations where chains are essential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gCnnBDORW0

If you've NEVER driven in 10'deep snow/at 6psi/auto tranny/no chains--then there's nothing I can say--

It's like driving on SOFT sand at 3/4psi and the auto will keep you from getting stuck-and the footprint (flex) will minimize the digging of the tires-

I won't argue with anybody--I've doneit for years and if you've never seenit/doneit--it's meaningless to try to convince you-

Why do you suppose that CAMELS have such big feet ??

:rofl::tea: JIMBO

Charles 02-02-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 12975641)
:D Suit yourself--

If you've NEVER driven in 10'deep snow/at 6psi/auto tranny/no chains--then there's nothing I can say--

It's like driving on SOFT sand at 3/4psi and the auto will keep you from getting stuck-and the footprint (flex) will minimize the digging of the tires-

I won't argue with anybody--I've doneit for years and if you've never seenit/doneit--it's meaningless to try to convince you-

Why do you suppose that CAMELS have such big feet ??

:rofl::tea: JIMBO

10 feet of snow?

I get the principle, but you aren't doing this. I've been in snow and there is no staying on top of it. This video demonstrates the principle but we aren't doing that in our JK's. I live in Denver and grew up in PA, I know snow. In fact, airing down really just pushes your diff, and body closer to the snow. That will stop you sooner because ultimately, we aren't stuck until there is too much snow for us to push or, if like in my video above, it's a solid chuck of ice.

We're getting 15 to 20 inches here in a few hours. Maybe I can shoot some demonstration video if 20 inches stops my Jeep. I don't think it will though.

Snow @59 seconds.

jwmbishop 02-02-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlago (Post 12972950)
What are chains for?

What is this snow u speak of?

lmao

But remember - years of dehydration causes wrinkles in unwanted places...

The time now is 12:18 AM.