Why the JK's BLD (brake locking differential) system kicks ***. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Why the JK's BLD (brake locking differential) system kicks ***.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Why the JK's BLD (brake locking differential) system kicks ***.

Figured I'd share this video I compiled from my last off roading trip of myself and a few of my club members climbing a hill. Some things to note:
  • This hill doesn't look like anything in the video but it was very steep and pretty rutted out and uneven.
  • There are 4 of us including me that attempted this hill: 2 LJs, 1 TJ, and me.
  • The wife didn't video every attempt of the other Jeeps but on average each made 3 attempts to get up the hill.
  • None of our Jeeps have lockers.

I've always been a fan of the BLD system (minus the fact that it seems to cause crazy brake wear) but during this last trip I decided it really is the next best thing to lockers. Anyway here is the video:

http://www.deepskye.com/images/Jeep/BLD.wmv

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
stick_it_
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hahahah -JK rocks!!! Best Jeep ever!
stick_it_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

BLD - best and least talked about feature of the JK! Been using it for two years and keep up with the locked folks on all trails thus far. I don't think that there is that much additional brake wear IMO.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Swagger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nicely Done!

And this should be very interesting............
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Very nice.

More often than not the guys bashing the JK's have never seen what they are capable of. Regardless of the likes or dislikes, proof again that the JK is just as capable as any other Jeep out there.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I Love it! Excellent!
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #8
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

A great showing for the JK! I'm curious though, does this BLD system work on our front wheels as well or just the rear?
Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
gearguywb

Cool video! Thanks for sharing.
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyame View Post
A great showing for the JK! I'm curious though, does this BLD system work on our front wheels as well or just the rear?
Yes.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 04:57 AM   #11
stick_it_
2009 JK Wrangler 

slightly modified for accuracy...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Regardless of the likes or dislikes, proof again that the JK is more just as capable than any other Jeep out there.
stick_it_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #12
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

One the one hand, nevermind my earlier question, found lots of answers on a search. I'd asked because recently we found ourselves in quite some muck climbing a wet hill (Aetna Mtn). I never did feel any of the brake system come into action but I may not have given it enough wheel spin speed to trigger it. I was in 4 lo the whole time and really only slowly turning the wheels. I decided to turn back, my buddies charged up the hill at speeds I wasn't willing to risk having seen 3 vehicles slam into the bank already. Still wondering if I should have given it more of an attempt.
Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #13
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

They work most of the time but there are times that a locker makes life much easier.
Here are two little videos of me when I really really wished I had a locker.

Very steep hill with ledge on top at Beasley Knob:
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWfFJZsODlo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWfFJZsODlo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Mud between the whoop-d-dooo's at Durhamtown Plantation:
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KS9AgwzBjCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KS9AgwzBjCU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
Nicely Done!

And this should be very interesting............
haha thanks. I was thinking about posting this in the General or TJ section but I didn't want to rub it in their faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyame View Post
I never did feel any of the brake system come into action but I may not have given it enough wheel spin speed to trigger it. I was in 4 lo the whole time and really only slowly turning the wheels. I decided to turn back, my buddies charged up the hill at speeds I wasn't willing to risk having seen 3 vehicles slam into the bank already.
Of all the moderately difficult hills we went up my buddies were the only ones giving it gas and using speed to get to the top. Everytime they'd do the obstacle first they would tell me "You're gonna have to give it some GAS" and then I'd crawl up it going grandma speed.

I've found that the BLD works the best (for me) with the following conditions:
  • You have 1 or 2 wheels not getting any meaningful traction.
  • You stay on the gas pedal at a consistent rate.
  • And you don't try to tackle stuff with speed. The system takes a second or two to kick in and the faster I seem to go the less effective it gets.
Unread 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
I've found that the BLD works the best (for me) with the following conditions:
[*]You have 1 or 2 wheels not getting any meaningful traction.
They fail when all 4 lose traction and the system applies the brakes to all 4 wheels. Then you either slide back down your hill or just sit there and the Jeep shakes back and forth...
To be fair, this doesn't happen often. And I only crashed once as a result.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.